"Danger, Will Robinson" .......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Danger, Will Robinson" .......

I found this "repair" on an IH truck for sale on e-Bay. I hope it is as solid as it appears and that his mechanic does not work on Studebakers! [}]

Looks like a decent repair to me, provided those are aircraft-grade heims.

We've used bars like that, with the swedged ends, for years on race cars- steering linkage, suspension arms, etc.

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
    Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

Looks like a decent repair to me, provided those are aircraft-grade heims.

We've used bars like that, with the swedged ends, for years on race cars- steering linkage, suspension arms, etc.

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
      Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

I would hope that the original tapered holes in the pitman arm and steering arm were reamed straight to fit the bolt, and that Grade 5 or better bolts were used.

I know double-nutting can be very secure, but it still LOOKS a bit hokey. Castle nuts with cotter pins look more professional, IMHO.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

I would hope that the original tapered holes in the pitman arm and steering arm were reamed straight to fit the bolt, and that Grade 5 or better bolts were used.

I know double-nutting can be very secure, but it still LOOKS a bit hokey. Castle nuts with cotter pins look more professional, IMHO.

Comment

Working...
          X