Wiring I.D. Help Please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: Wiring I.D. Help Please

As my original wiring is still in good shape I've decided to go with that and perhaps do a complete rewire later (if ever). So, I did an inspection, re-soldered a couple of suspect connections and started hooking everything back up. I need some I.D. help and advise.

In the frist pic below: Is this for the overdrive kickdown? The two terminated wires are white w/black stripe and the connected "loop" is white w/red stripe. If this is for the OD kickdown (which no longer applies as I've installed a 5-spd) what should I do with these wires?

The second pic: red wire with female bullet connector. Also for the OD (seems to reach that spot)?

The 3rd pic: flat woven ground strap about .5" wide, one end attached to the firewall. Thoughts on where the other end attaches?

sigpic
    Bob Shaw
    Rush City, Minnesota
    1960 Hawk - www.northstarstudebakers.com
    "The farther I go, the behinder I get."

Your second picture is the hot wire to the overdrive kickdown. All harnesses had it, even if installed with an automatic trans. Ignore it or use it to power your transcendence modulator. If the wires in the first pic terminate in the vicinity of the transmission, probably for the overdrive. Unless you hear otherwise, recyclable copper. I've never owned a Hawk but, a ground strap in that vicinity could have wrapped around the speedo cable to eliminate radio static, or attached to the head, or just about anywhere that would benefit from a cleaner circuit.
    Brad Johnson,
    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I've found the flat woven copper strap wrapped around the oil pressure tube, to both support and ground it.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom B View Post
        I've found the flat woven copper strap wrapped around the oil pressure tube, to both support and ground it.
        By gum, I think that's it! Thanks.

Pics 2 & 3 down. Anyone have other thoughts on the first pic...namely can it just be ignored or connected to something else...or recycled as Rockne10 suggests?
        sigpic
        Bob Shaw
        Rush City, Minnesota

Comment

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
          "transcendence modulator"
          sigpic
          Bob Shaw
          Rush City, Minnesota

Comment

If they are for the overdrive then I think you can remove the OD harness??
            Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
            1961 Hawk 4-speed
            1967 Avanti
            1961 Lark 2 door
            1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

Originally posted by unclemiltie View Post
              If they are for the overdrive then I think you can remove the OD harness??
              I think you are right. If I am reading the wiring diagram correctly it would appear that there isn't anything that would prohibit the car from operating properly. I'll just hide it for now and deal with it later. Thanks all.
              sigpic
              Bob Shaw
              Rush City, Minnesota

Comment

Update: That first pic I posted is the harness for the back-up light switch.
                sigpic
                Bob Shaw
                Rush City, Minnesota

Comment

Originally posted by BShaw View Post
                  Update: That first pic I posted is the harness for the back-up light switch.
                  You might not want to recycle that! I'm glad your transcendence modulator detected the correct function before engaging hasty re-distribution.
                  Brad Johnson,
                  SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                  Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                  '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                  '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
                    You might not want to recycle that! I'm glad your transcendence modulator detected the correct function before engaging hasty re-distribution.
                    There is a detection latency in my transcendence modulator that often requires an external input to assist in arriving at a correct solution. My particular detection latency problem seems to be directly proportional to my age.
                    sigpic
                    Bob Shaw
                    Rush City, Minnesota

Comment

Working...
                    X