Current Stude projects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Current Stude projects

I'm officially going stir crazy as I wait for the right parts and timing to get the Lark back on the road. I can't wait to get back on the road.

Since misery loves company almost as much as I love looking at photos of other people's cars, let's combine them. If you have a Studebaker you're working on, post some pics of the progress in this thread, and let's all ooh and aah at your skill, or lend you a shoulder to cry on if a couple days of repair work has taken months!
    '63 Lark Custom, 259 v8, auto, child seat

"Your friendly neighborhood Studebaker evangelist"

Today I bled the brakes on the 62 Cruiser I'm fixing up for a friend. I took the old exhaust pipes from his old 60 Lark & after disconnecting the shocks & l/r spring shackle slipped in the old tail pipes, buttoned it back up, started the engine & let the trans go through the gears. Now I'm waiting for the new head pipes to arrive & off to the muffler shop to have everything made so a trip to La Palma in May will become a reality.

Then off to one of my vehicles. I received the wiring harness that Studebakers West made for my 62 Champ. That will be my next Stude project unless the stainless steel brake flex lines that Jim Turner made up for me calls out so loudly that the Avanti will become the benefactor of them.

My wife gave me a new digital camera for our anniversary so this thread may be the perfect time to give it a trial run.....tomorrow. Too dark out now!
    59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
    60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
    61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
    62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
    62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
    62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
    63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
    63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
    64 Zip Van
    66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
    66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Spent the cold, sleety day installing the vanity I got from Pat Dilling this winter. Thanks, Pat.
      Sue

Comment

Glad you got it installed! Did you do the glove box too?

Today I painted a custom panel I fabricated to seal my radiator on the Red car and repainted one of my new mirrors that didn't come out just right the first time. Gotta wait a day now for finish sanding and polishing. Then maybe I can get back to the Conestoga.
        Pat Dilling
        Olivehurst, CA
        Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

Does daydreaming about what I'll be doing to one (or five) of my Studes when I return home count?
          If so- I got alot of stuff done...
          StudeDave '57
          US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
          SDC Member since 1985

past President
          Whatcom County Chapter SDC
          San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
          San Diego Chapter SDC
          North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

Still have some finishing touches on the wife's 63GT, mainly involving "driveability improvements":

Plan tomorrow is to install AC. It already has the modern, heat/cool style evaporator hung, but only has the heater hoses and electrics hooked up (used the heater last winter). It also already has the OEM compressor mount on the motor, but still needs the Sanyo adapter fitted to it. I plan to re-use the OEM condenser, so need to remount it. Then, need to manufacture and install the AC hoses. Lastly, charge with 134.

After the above, I plan to install a larger electric fuel pump, and a fuel return line. While doing that, will install a "fuel vapor recovery system", which consists of an early 1970s GM charcoal canister and plumbing to the carb and fuel tank. Having installed a charcoal can recently on the other GT, I now view this mod as way overdue on all of them.

Next, install cruise control. Having installed one recently one the other GT, that should go fairly easy; I already have the kit.

If I get all the above done in the next couple of weeks, will spruce up the 56J.

Always something to do in care & feeding of three driver Studes.

Comment

Torched the front springs off the 74 Avanti and proceeded to remove the complete front suspension and power steering in preparation for painting the engine compartment.

The good news, the PO used a ton of grease and the kingpins are concentric.

The bad news, I pulled the motor mounts and found a number of fatigue cracks under them that were not apparent with them in place. Did a lot of prep and I'm in the process of repairing and strengthening those areas. Luckily, there are no other bad spots in the cross member.

I'll post a few shots of the damage and repairs in a separate post when the repairs are completed.

Tomorrow I burn wire

Bob

Comment

Well, my car is being block sanded at the body shop as they do final prep for paint so I'm doing other little things while waiting for it to get back. Last thing I did was rebuild the control arms:
                Attached Files
                Dave Nevin
                Corvallis, OR
                1953 Champion Deluxe Coupe
                Stud-e-venture blog

Comment

My current project is becoming a joke. The wagon is turned in to a night mare. I took it to the upholstery shop for headliner and wind lace. They kept it a month. Now the doors won't close all the way. Bought a new dimmer switch and horn relay and neither of them work. I had painted everything but the hood because I found a good one. And then the rest of the gallon of paint froze and had another quart mixed and it not exactly the same color. Had the seat upholstered and my wife doesn't like them. So I think the wagon needs to go to the barn for a long stay.

Comment

Lark VIII girl just got her car out of the service department today! The Chevrolet tech said the car drives really nice for a old car.
                    New brake hoses, replaced broken exhaust hanger, and adjusted exhaust pipes not to rattle. And new heater control cable with excellant service on that from Studebaker International. I will refit some rubber seals on the drivers door and the Lark is ready to go to South Bend meet.

Husband of Lark VIII girl

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Dilling View Post
                      Glad you got it installed! Did you do the glove box too?
                      Hi Pat - No, I didn't, but I'm pondering cutting a portion of yours out (near the light) to replace the missing part of mine. I'm not positive I can do it well, so will continue pondering.
                      Sue

Comment

Originally posted by ST2DE5 View Post
                        My current project is becoming a joke. The wagon is turned in to a night mare. I took it to the upholstery shop for headliner and wind lace. They kept it a month. Now the doors won't close all the way. Bought a new dimmer switch and horn relay and neither of them work. I had painted everything but the hood because I found a good one. And then the rest of the gallon of paint froze and had another quart mixed and it not exactly the same color. Had the seat upholstered and my wife doesn't like them. So I think the wagon needs to go to the barn for a long stay.
                        hey, you and I should get together and share misery stories, because that is exactly how two of my projects are going and the freakin`miserable weather isn`t helping. Know it doesn`t make you feel better about your Stude woes, but makes me feel better...thanks, Junior.
                        sigpic
                        1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

Working...
                        X