Dual Antenna "Upgrade"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Other: Dual Antenna "Upgrade"

My 60 hawk has the dual antennas on the rear deck. I really like 'em BUT it makes using a car cover less than ideal unless one makes holes in the cover to slip over the antennas (which I did and dust and water defeat the whole car cover concept). I know that many would prefer the correct dual antenna accessory but I offer this for those not so concerned with strict originality.

So, I dd some research and found a fully retractable antenna that will fit under the deck/trunk. It's an Antenna Works 44-UL-15 that cost $12. The underneath length is 9.5", which was just short enough to clear the trunk floor. As you can see in the pics below it looks pretty much stock when extended but collapses to near nothing when needed. The cable on this is only 3 or 4 feet so one will have to add an extension cable on one to reach the radio.

sigpic
    Bob Shaw
    Rush City, Minnesota
    1960 Hawk - www.northstarstudebakers.com
    "The farther I go, the behinder I get."

Bob, that's a good idea and would cure the cover issue.
    64 Champ long bed V8
    55/53 Studebaker President S/R
    53 Hudson Super Wasp Coupe

Comment

This is the type of antenna I recommend for all my customers, whether front or rear mounted.

You might find a suitable female antenna jack at an electromics store and put it on the end of the original cable. It's called a Motorola jack in electronics parlance. Installation of the jack to the old antenna cable is a solder and heat shrink project.
      RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
      4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
      5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Working...
      X