Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Unexpected Studebaker property sighting!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unexpected Studebaker property sighting!

Here's the daily Automotive News 4-minute clip from Tuesday, April 9. (An unavoidable 15-second commercial precedes the actual clip):

I believe there's an unexpected Studebaker property sighting beginning right at 1:02 in the video.

They are skid-pad testing brake systems on Chevrolet Tahoes with and without anti-lock. I'm all but certain that the footage was shot on the now-Bendix skid pad on the front part of the high-speed oval at the former Studebaker Proving Ground (now Bendix Woods / Park) in New Carlisle IN.

Comments?

Another "small world" sighting in that video is footage of a David Zuby being quoted from The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety. I thought I recognized that name, so I checked.

Sure enough, he's the guy who signed IIHS's personal reply when I complained about their destroying that nice, original 1959 Bel-Air in their silly 2009 50th Anniversary "Celebration," the topic of my column in the March 2013 Hemmings Classic Car.

Small world indeed. Now I know how young David is; that may account for his thinking that crashing a nice old car was a good idea...unfortunately, not everyone under 40 has the appreciation for collector cars exhibited by our fine young SDCers! BP
    Last edited by BobPalma; 04-11-2013, 04:02 AM. Reason: updated the clip length: it's only 4 minutes, not 5.
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

I saw that too Bob but not having been to the proving grounds it didn't dawn on me. Thanks for pointing it out!!
    59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
    60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
    61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
    62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
    62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
    62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
    63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
    63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
    64 Zip Van
    66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
    66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Originally posted by Warren Webb View Post
      I saw that too Bob but not having been to the proving grounds it didn't dawn on me. Thanks for pointing it out!!
      Thanks, Warren. Like I said, I am reasonably sure that's it: I've walked across that track, exactly as configured in that photo, to get to the high-speed oval infield prototype "bone yard" for the articles we did on it years ago.

With 200+ views, I was kind of hoping someone would chime in to confirm or positively refute. BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Working...
      X