Avanti Power Steering Hose Source

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering: Avanti Power Steering Hose Source

Now that I am keeping the power steering in my 74 Avanti I will be replacing the power steering hoses.

I usually just order from SI but in searching the forum I seem to get the feeling that there are some sources that may be better than others.

Any opinions on ordering from different sources or possibly putting new rubber hoses on the original ends locally.

As always, thanks in advance.

Bob

Hey Bob....I always thought, if originality wasn't an isuue, that one could use braided stainless steel lines.
    Bill Foy
    1000 Islands, Ontario
    1953 Starlight Coupe

Comment

You probably could use braided stainless, BUT, the problem is finding the correct pipes and fittings for the ends. "usually" you wouls need to make up a "number" of fittings to make it cost effective. When I had the braided oil lines done, I had to make up 500 fittings which I paid for up front! It could probably be done, but how bad do you want braided stainless hose?

Jim
      "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
      their Memorials!

Comment

There are two hydraulic shops within 40 miles I have used. Just take the old hoses in so they can copy. Might not look exactly as the originals, but close enough for me.

Comment

The ends on the slave cylinder are very specific, so they will clear the ram, and not get hung up on something else. That whole area is very tight. I do not recall, were they still using the Stude set up? If not, pretty much any hose shop should be able to make them, Earl's Indy could do it.

Jim
          "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
          their Memorials!

Comment

Chuck Collins is one that I use for later Avanti power steering .
            Bez Auto Alchemy
            573-318-8948
            http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by 52 Ragtop View Post
              You probably could use braided stainless, BUT, the problem is finding the correct pipes and fittings for the ends. "usually" you wouls need to make up a "number" of fittings to make it cost effective. When I had the braided oil lines done, I had to make up 500 fittings which I paid for up front! It could probably be done, but how bad do you want braided stainless hose?

Jim
              Jim I was wondering how the oil lines are coming? I need one for the 47 Champion and the Avanti. I sent you an email earlier.

Neil

Comment

Working...
              X