need a 4 barrel carb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need a 4 barrel carb

Would anybody have a decent rebuildable 4bbl for my '61 Hawk?? I have my sons brand new Holley 650 on it now. I know from reading other threads on this forum that the Holley probably won't be very 'driveable' on my stock 289.[and my son would like to have his carb back!! Thanks!

LaSalle,Il
    61Hawk
    Oglesby,Il.

Hi,52Hawk,

Are you looking for a WCFB, AFB or another Holley. If it isn't a restoration, any of the above will work fine, if you are capable/interested in tuning it correctly.

The least expensive way to get a driveable carb is to find a "remanufactured" 600 CFM Edelbrock on sale at the local speed shop. In actuality, these are returns which have been cleaned up. In many cases, they were never mounted on a car. For around $225, you can have a new carb.

thnx, jv.

PackardV8
    PackardV8

Comment

Hi,52Hawk,

Are you looking for a WCFB, AFB or another Holley. If it isn't a restoration, any of the above will work fine, if you are capable/interested in tuning it correctly.

The least expensive way to get a driveable carb is to find a "remanufactured" 600 CFM Edelbrock on sale at the local speed shop. In actuality, these are returns which have been cleaned up. In many cases, they were never mounted on a car. For around $225, you can have a new carb.

thnx, jv.

PackardV8
      PackardV8

Comment

I am trying to find a "REFURBISHED" WCFB for mine.......I have a new (never installed)....in the box #1406 Eldebrock 600cfm with electric choke to trade or will sell for $250

1961 Hawk 4BC,4-SPEED,TT

Lewisville,NC
        1961 Hawk ...4-Speed;4bc;Twin Traction

Ken Byrd
        Lewisville,NC

Comment

I am trying to find a "REFURBISHED" WCFB for mine.......I have a new (never installed)....in the box #1406 Eldebrock 600cfm with electric choke to trade or will sell for $250

1961 Hawk 4BC,4-SPEED,TT

Lewisville,NC

Ken Byrd
          Lewisville,NC

Comment

Have you checked with Dave Thibeault? I have a WCFB that should be gone over but he probably has them done, ready to ship.

Brad Johnson
            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
            '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight
            Brad Johnson,
            SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
            '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
            '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Have you checked with Dave Thibeault? I have a WCFB that should be gone over but he probably has them done, ready to ship.

Brad Johnson
              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
              Brad Johnson,
              SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
              '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
              '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

quote:Originally posted by rockne10

Brad Johnson
                Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                How do I find Him ?.......I sent You an e-mail..But no answer.
                Ken

1961 Hawk 4BC,4-SPEED,TT

Lewisville,NC

Ken Byrd
                Lewisville,NC

Comment

Brad Johnson
                  Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                  Ken

1961 Hawk 4BC,4-SPEED,TT

Lewisville,NC

Ken Byrd
                  Lewisville,NC

Comment

quote:How do I find Him ?.......I sent You an e-mail..But no answer.
                    Ken
                    Ken, I sent you an email with his phone number.

Leonard Shepherd

Comment

quote:How do I find Him ?.......I sent You an e-mail..But no answer.
                      Ken
                      Ken, I sent you an email with his phone number.

Leonard Shepherd

Comment

Dave Thibeault phone# (978) 897-3158, he is also listed in the business card page of TW. He usually has carburators ready to ship exchange.

quote:Originally posted by blackhawk61

Brad Johnson
                        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                        Ken

1961 Hawk 4BC,4-SPEED,TT

Lewisville,NC
                        Frank van Doorn
                        Omaha, Ne.
                        1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
                        1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
                        1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

Dave Thibeault phone# (978) 897-3158, he is also listed in the business card page of TW. He usually has carburators ready to ship exchange.

quote:Originally posted by blackhawk61

Brad Johnson
                          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                          Ken

1961 Hawk 4BC,4-SPEED,TT

Lewisville,NC
                          Frank van Doorn
                          Omaha, Ne.
                          1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
                          1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
                          1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

Ever spend more than what's coming in? That's why I can't afford a carb 'off the shelf' right now. Maybe I'll leave the kids carb on for now,'till I can actually drive the car,see how it works..
                            One problem with the Holley,it has a large coil spring on the shaft,so the carb operates without a return spring.
                            My nos reach rod is spring loaded.The spring in the rod is weaker than the coil spring on the carb..step on the pedal,carb butterflys don't open. i put a tackweld on a old reach rod,it works,but is temporary.-Anybody ever remove that spring on the Holley shaft?There must be a reason why Studebaker put that spring inside the rod..
                            Thanks for the help and advice guys!

LaSalle,Il
                            61Hawk
                            Oglesby,Il.

Comment

Ever spend more than what's coming in? That's why I can't afford a carb 'off the shelf' right now. Maybe I'll leave the kids carb on for now,'till I can actually drive the car,see how it works..
                              One problem with the Holley,it has a large coil spring on the shaft,so the carb operates without a return spring.
                              My nos reach rod is spring loaded.The spring in the rod is weaker than the coil spring on the carb..step on the pedal,carb butterflys don't open. i put a tackweld on a old reach rod,it works,but is temporary.-Anybody ever remove that spring on the Holley shaft?There must be a reason why Studebaker put that spring inside the rod..
                              Thanks for the help and advice guys!

LaSalle,Il
                              61Hawk
                              Oglesby,Il.

Comment

Working...
                              X