New Gas Tank Day ..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Gas Tank Day ..

I received my NOS 56 Hawk tank to put in my 53 coupe. Looks excellent but a couple questions.
    The mounting changed from spring to just bolted on the later cars..
    So which way..I am sure there are proponents of each..but no need for originality on this car.

At present I think I'll go with the spring..but also looking at rubber mounting and bolt. I have the old tank mounted this way..but also had used the spring previously.

Secondly.. Since the welded brackets are a stress point. Maybe JB Weld them around the welds for some added strength..or is this over thinking ?
    Need to adapt a 3/4" fuel line also as mine is the larger line.

Again..this is not a restored car but highly modified so originality is not necessary and structural improvement is paramount..er..pair a mounts !

No more Exxon Valdez in garage...

Ken, I lean towards the spring type mounting. Most of my Studes are this way. Never would I mount the tank without something with some give in it, such as rubber or the spring. If it is mounted without these types of devices it stresses the tank mountings too much since frames flex. Nice visiting with you at Goodguys!
    Frank van Doorn
    Omaha, Ne.
    1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
    1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
    1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

Hi Frank..
      Yes I will probably use the spring. Was great spending visiting in our "winter wonderland" in Scottsdale ! Hail in March in Arizona ? Beautiful weather all week and after the show..

Maybe better in November..

Comment

Originally posted by parts View Post
        /Cut/Need to adapt a 3/4" fuel line also as mine is the larger line./Cut/
        I think you got your numbers crossed on the Fuel Line.
        Most all Studes. have a 5/16" Tank Line, for a bit higher performance, you could go to 3/8" like an Avanti or Jet Thrust Hawk/Lark.

A '56 Hawk Tank would have NO Fuel Line, since it pulls from the Sending Unit.

If you are going to use a 500 cid Caddy with Dual Quads, maybe you NEED a Garden Hose sized line or TWO!
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Mis typed..3/8th line. A larger inlet was brazed to the tank by the PO.. I adapted the line to 5/16 today..so to return this to normal size. The car is plumbed 3/8th. 350 block 383.. I was told this was a 56 tank..but it looks exactly like my 53 I took out..

Comment

It could be a '58 to '64 Hawk Tank. The mountings WILL be different on a '53.
            With the correct Brackets, it should work.
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Old tank looks identical..

We'll see tomorrow..
              Attached Files
              Last edited by parts2; 04-13-2013, 11:03 PM.

Comment

Installed with no difficulties.. Identical to my tank..except NO LEAKS !

Happy to have a nice clean smelling garage again..and a full tank..

Comment

good to hear. a non gas smelling garage is a plus

Comment

All good things come to those that use this forum.
                    Candbstudebakers
                    Castro Valley,
                    California

Comment

Thanks for sourcing the tank.. With the blast furnace almost here in Southern Arizona..sure is great to finish while it was a cool 88*..
                      Didn't think there were any NOS tank anywhere...

Comment

Working...
                      X