Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• aluminum radiator

I think I've asked this before...

Has anyone ever installed an aluminum radiator on your studebaker and how much cooler did it run?

Also, is there an outlet to buy direct fit replacements? I was just quoted 800 for one and an electric fan combo... too high or seems right?

It seems a little high. But is it polished? Does it have dual electric fans? What's it for? Avantis will be a little more than a Lark. Mattson Radiators in Buena Park has the nicest units but they are pricey.

Comment

FWIW, a new aluminum radiator will not run any cooler than a new brass/copper radiator of the same capacity . The brass/copper actually has better heat transfer than aluminum.

And X2, $800 seems high. The most recent C-cab custom copper radiator I had made was $425. Try US Radiator Company, http://www.usradiator.com and tell Alex that Jack sent you. They have the C-cab measurements on file.

jack vines
      Last edited by PackardV8; 04-09-2013, 11:43 AM.
      PackardV8

Comment

To answer your question....

I had a leaky, half plugged up, probably undersized, for the engine I built radiator. I installed a universal summit racing crossflow aluminum radiator and an electric fan. I did away comepletely with the engine driven clutch fan. Before, the only way to keep from over heating was to keep moving. Sitting still in traffic it would quickly heat up. After the radiator upgrade, never got past 190. It would run 160 moving. There are aluminum radiators out there, that look almost stock in the $250 range. I think I paid $150 for the universal I had in the 64. The downside to that universal radiator, is that it did not look like it "belonged" there.
        1962 Champ

51 Commander 4 door

Comment

Thanks for your wisdom

Can someone explain why all the "desire" to go aluminum then? The guy I spoke with says that it's the "way to go" and with dual electric fans that I should be able to stay at 180 regardless if I am running my AC and time of year.

I installed an aluminum radiator on my 67 mustang and it does seem to make a difference but that car is 550 hp and not a daily driver like my Transtar.

Comment

The reason is aluminum is about half price than the brass-copper radiators

Comment

Originally posted by ST2DE5 View Post
              The reason is aluminum is about half price than the brass-copper radiators
              that, and the aluminum ones are usually a bit lighter, especially with the electric fans and less drag on the engine with the original fan removed (for racing, etc.)...
              Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

A bit OT, but an electric fan will definitely make cruising in a C-cab less noisy. Since the trucks have no insulation, the engine-driven fan noise comes right into the passenger compartment.

Back when I was still stock and 6V, I'd remove the fan blades for long highway trips. Conventional wisdom says the fan isn't needed at highway speeds. On my '55 E12, at 60-65, the temp would run 10-15 degrees higher without the fan. Couldn't handle any stop-n-go without it, but the cruise was many decibels lower.

jack vines
                PackardV8

Comment

Try to get an up close picture of what you are buying. Especially the top of the radiator,... I'm tired of seeing them with crappy looking welds.
                  Polish an ugly weld all you want and its still ugly.

Dean.

Comment

some of you may have seen my laguna blue 64 daytona hardtop sitting on the side of the road with the hood up (vapor locked - 3 times) during the IM last aug. I had only owned the car for a month and was truly sorry that i didn't drive my 61 cruiser. bought a three row all aluminum (NO plastic tanks) radiator & dual electric fans from champion radiator on ebay. thanks to Dan from Ohio who showed me this conversion on his Black 64 daytona. $290 bucks plus shipping and well worth it. another $45 for an adjustable controller system from summit. now all i need is some hot weather to test it.
                    61 lark cruiser
                    64 daytona 2dr hardtop

Comment

$200 delivered to door off ebay drill 2 holes drive anywhere and no overheating.............
                      Jack White
                      Charlotte,NC
                      North Carolina Studebaker Drivers Club

Comment

I've had good luck with this place, and reasonable prices. They are helpful on the phone also if you don't see what u want. Be sure to verify no epoxy in the construction, usually he has tigged units only. You could try to match up by dimensions, also

1947 M5 under restoration
                        a bunch of non-Stude stuff

Comment

Thanks for everyone's thoughts. I ended up working something out with the local Radiator Shop and he is almost done building one. Electric fans, radiator fits like the old one and fills the entire hole, remounting the AC condenser... a little bit more than one on ebay but the guy believes it will run very cool and the way he's doing it will keep the AC running cool! I will post a picture when done and will keep everyone updated on running temperature. Average temp here in LHC during the summer is 110 with a few weeks of 120!

Comment

I saw some nice aluminum radiators while in South Bend a couple weeks ago. These were purchased off Ebay built for CJ's with the GM conversion. They were Champion Radiators. I was considering putting one in my Hawk this summer but just got my PSMCDR rules brochure in the mail and Lightweight aluminum rads are not allowed. Bummer.

Allen
                            1964 GT Hawk
                            PSMCDR 2014
                            Best time: 14.473 sec. 96.57 MPH quarter mile
                            PSMCDR 2013
                            Best time: 14.654 sec. 94.53 MPH quarter

Victoria, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by studebaker-R2-4-me View Post
                              I saw some nice aluminum radiators while in South Bend a couple weeks ago. These were purchased off Ebay built for CJ's with the GM conversion. They were Champion Radiators. I was considering putting one in my Hawk this summer but just got my PSMCDR rules brochure in the mail and Lightweight aluminum rads are not allowed. Bummer.

Allen
                              yep, that was my 64 daytona and my cousin Jim Moore's 59 lark 2 door wagon running the aluminum rads. we've been racing and hot roddin' all our lives! screw originality - make your car drive anywhere.
                              61 lark cruiser
                              64 daytona 2dr hardtop

Comment

Working...
                              X