Daily Driver 170

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Daily Driver 170

So, I'd like suggestions from those of you who use your 6 cylinder rides as daily drivers and travel cars.
    I know you're out there. Winter and summer driving tips.

Thanks!

What do you need to know ?
    The cars were originally designed to be driven.

I've been driving my 54 Champ., 4dr around all over town lately. I bought it as a running parts car, beat up, rough, needs to have the valves adjusted, rattles and squeeks, needs shocks, has three different brand tires on it, three speed trans., no overdrive....but runs down the road just fine.
    The radiator was a bit plugged up, no thermostat, the needle/seat in the carburetor leaked... So after putting a cleaner...radiator, a thermostat, and rebuilding the carb., it runs fine.
    Though with bad shocks, I haven't had it on the freeway (yet !).

As you would with "any" car, keep the oil clean, keep the fluids up, the tires full of air...and drive it.

Mike

Comment

As long as your car is in good condition and you are aware of the little six's limitations you should be okay. Don't pull out in front of anybody that's moving very fast.
      "In the heart of Arkansas."
      Searcy, Arkansas
      1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
      1952 2R pickup

Comment

here's my take on any Stude Champ 6 engine: unless you've hopped it up with Cathcart-like improvements, you better stick to 2-lane roads going around 45-55 mph. On an interstate, you just cannot keep up with today's cars, trucks and drivers. The engine is vastly underpowered for todays traffic and in my mind having owned several.....a hazard ready to happen. Much worse if you have the OD mated up to it......that is unless you've upgraded to V8 brakes or aftermarket discs. The stock vehicle is simply too slow and not nimble enough to deal with the other vehicles and their drivers. Stick to Rte. 66 or other dotted roads (see Rand McNally atlas info)....

Comment

Leo, I drive my Champion nearly every day. Everything is working properly. I run a 160 degree thermostat. You just need to respect that it is over 50 years old and built with the technology that was available at the time. They weren't concerned about cornering ability and the brakes are marginal. Take it slow and anticipate lane changes, turns, and stops ahead of time so you have plenty of room. I don't drive faster than about 60 with the overdrive on and stay in the slow lane on the freeway. Most of the other drivers understand that my car isn't made for speed and just go around. Remember to wave back when the admirers give you the "thumbs-up".
          Happy trails to you. Randy

Comment

As others have suggested, stay on secondary roads if at all possible. Only go onto the interstate in dire emergency. Before even thinking about the interstate, you will need some to make some mods to the vehicle: install a huge, reflective, florescent orange, triangular, farm implement sign on the rear; install four way flashers (hot wired to the ignition to remain turned on at all times), and drive only in the emergency lane or on the shoulder of the road.

If you decide to install AC, set the idle to around 2000 RPM to keep the engine from stalling when the compressor kicks on.

With the above precautions in place, drive and enjoy
            Last edited by JoeHall; 04-09-2013, 02:13 PM.

Comment

P.s. - On a recient 80+ degree day, the temperature gage needle ran right where it's been running with the clean"er" radiator and thermostat)...straight up (160 deg. thermostat).
              With the plugged radiatator and no therm....the needle was all the way to the right on a 70 degree day within about 3 miles...so I know the gage works..!

As for the freeway, the people I bought the car from drove it about 35 miles on two freeways to my house...no clue as to how fast....!?

Mike

Comment

Sounds fine then. I am aware of the consensus to not have a six because of traffic and such, but I really didn't feel like it was any slower than I tend to drive my car now and as long as I can keep it around 60-65, (yes, gravity issues notwithstanding) I have no issues with freeways.
                I was thinking about the radiator/t-stat, so thanks for the temp range suggestion. I'll watch to see how the temp gauge rolls with time. It didn't do anything immediately on the test drive, so that's a plus
                As for the brakes, I noticed the difference and I'm a downshift before stopping driver as it is, so I'm good. I drove a six without OD in the 70s and wasn't ever run over, so I just don't see there being an issue with an OD trans.

I wouldn't mind having a tach to keep an eye on engine revs, but that'll just be part of the learning curve. For one thing, there's just no clean way to install one in the Lark without looking tacky. To me.

Thanks.

Comment

Sound advice from all others above. I would only add one bit more. The first time you nearly get run over by fast moving traffic, take the little car home and transplant a V8 into it. Use the R1 Cam, a 2 bbl carb and a 3 speed OD, and you'll not only keep up with traffic, but zoooom past most if it with alarming speed and joy. Meanwhile, you'll be getting better mileage with a good running 259, than you will by screaming around with that little 6.
                  Not trying to raise Cain here, just my opinion.
                  sals54

Comment

i drove my '51 Champion original 6/Auto, over 100 miles roundtrip to her 1st local club meet in december. about 2/3rds of the way on I-40 with a 70mph limit. i stayed in the right lane, and having a non-working speedometer, not sure how fast i was going (guessing around 60) - but kept up most of the time with the "slow traffic". luckily, i only got horns blowing and thumbs-up, not middle fingers!

it was around 60 degrees on the way back and had no problem with the engine temp until i got back into town with stop & go traffic - nothing close to "pegging it", but i opened up the Climatizer and the temp settled back down for the rest of the drive home.

in summer temps here, i doubt i'd do the same trip. and i'm debating whether to go into the engine for needed valve guides, carb rebuild, intake/exhaust gaskets, and probably more - or finding a Studebaker V-8 and maybe a newer auto trans. i'm hoping i can wait til next fall...

so, be easy with her. check your compression/vacuum/plugs, timing, etc... change fluids needed if you haven't, and enjoy your "new to you" Studebaker!!!
                    Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

My point was/is that with the OD its likely you'll want to speed up and keep up with traffic.....the little drum brakes will make things challenging when someone decides to cut in front of you doing 80 mph a few hundred yards before their exit. I drive a GMC 2500 Diesel and a 20-something gal in a rice mobile just today cut in front of me for her exit about 100 yards @ 70 mph.... and my truck has 4 big discs on it's 4 feet. No Stude will/can match that stopping ability.......Hold a disc conversion......be wary of stopping a vehicle with your clutch...its not made for that purpose.....sounds good in a muscle car but do the math: compare total surface area of the 9 inch clutch facings with the 4 surfaces of the drum brakes......no comparison....Drive slow and safely and have just as much fun....GL

Comment

I agree that the first thing I would do if you want to be in traffic is to be able to stop as quickly and safely as they do. That is why the first modification I did to my 59 Lark VI was put disc brakes on it. The second was sway bars front and rear. This also aids in driving. $16 each from the local pick-a-part. You didn't mention what year the engine is, Flathead or OHV, but I have had both and run them on the freeway. http://www.youtube.com/user/DaWizard...ow=grid&view=0 The OHV six loved the freeway and didn't mind what the ambiant temprature was. The Flathead didn't like it because of the non-overdrive transmission and so it would have to be up around the 3800 rpm to be going 80 mph. Both engines were basically stock internally. I did however upgrade the electricals with a GM alternator, Mallory CDI and Coil, Accel wires, pointless ignition. The exhaust was stock except for a Magnaflow muffler. The carb was a Holley 1940 on the Flathead and a Holley Economiser 4bbl on the OHV. Most important is the brakes, you can go as fast but cant stop as fast, even at 60mph. My Lark is light and the drums worked well but not as well as everyone around me with modern disc brakes.

Comment

Excellent input. All is appreciated. As I can't remember the last time I saw 80 in any of our cars, ever, I really don't believe I'll be noticing a drastic change in the flattie. None of the cars we've owned has ever been fast, particularly off the line, and no I'm not one of 'those' who goes 55 in the left lane. I AM one of 'those' who does treat the speed limit as a number and not a base concept to worry about when the fuzz is around. I am feeling better about my ride, thanks to you all. I just don't hear as much about the members who do keep to their original sixes and wanted to see if I could flush any out.

I'm not into fast 'n loud. More like the "low and slow" vibe.

It's all good.

Comment

Well, my car has the big 6 with an automatic, but my driving habits are similar to others -- give other cars a lot of space and plan your braking and turns.
                            sigpic

1950 Commander Starlight Coupe
                            Regal Deluxe Trim
                            Automatic transmission
                            46k original miles, 4th Owner

Comment

Originally posted by deco_droid View Post
                              Well, my car has the big 6 with an automatic, but my driving habits are similar to others -- give other cars a lot of space and plan your braking and turns.
                              Excellent.

Comment

Working...
                              X