Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OOPS: Bogus high-dollar 442 @ Barrett-Jackson

'Just found this on the Buick V8 Forum:

Where's Jackie Gleason when we need him to confront these guys that "are in a heap-o trouble, boy?" BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Amazing what you can do with a good painter, a set of metal number stamps, a document scanner, a greedy car seller and a naive buyer....

Comment

Authentication is a big part of what I offer in my business. Some cars are easier than others.

There are two parts to authentication: First is that the numbers are correct and match what is claimed. Second is determining if the verified numbers are original to that individual car. That gets VERY complicated.

I can research numbers and position, but most high-end buyers have already done that. I am called upon to physically verify that those numbers are actually there along with specific equipment; and give my experienced opinion as to whether I feel they are legitimate as claimed. I am careful to be clear that in most cases all I can offer is my expert opinion on the latter; to do otherwise would be taking on a risk that would make no sense for me to do.

On TV we see nouveau riche douches slopping drinks and showing off for the camera; but in my experience, most high-end buyers do their homework and know what they're doing. They just use me for hands-on verification and handling the buy for them, whether with the seller or at auction. I didn't look to deeply into this story; I wonder which type of buyer this was?
      Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
      Romans 15:13
      Deuteronomy 31:6
      Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

"caveat emptor" .... "let the buyer beware"
        Dave Hugo
        Wellford, SC
        1940 Champion
        1950 Champion Coupe