You can't save them all

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You can't save them all

I just picked up the 1963 R1 Avanti parts car that was on ebay this past weekend. The seller was honest and the pictures showed that the frame and hogs were gone. There is a complete engine that turns freely - so that could be rebuilt. Even with the pictures, in the back of my mind, I was thinking it could be saved. But, when I inspected it further, the A pillars are gone as well. So - looks like this one is going to be parted out to save other Avantis (I of course have first priority on the parts). Too bad, as the body is in excellent shape with nature providing most of the work to remove the paint. If any one is tracking these, the serial number is R2881 and the engine is R2101. The best part of the weekend was visiting Jeff Rice at DeepNHock acres. That place is amazing! We spent hours talking Studebakers while Jeff was fixing up a manifold for me. My wife is very jealous of the 'Acres' and of course I am envious of the shop. Thanks for the hospitality Jeff.
    78 Avanti RQB 2792
    64 Avanti R1 R5408
    63 Avanti R1 R4551
    63 Avanti R1 R2281
    62 GT Hawk V15949
    56 GH 6032504
    56 GH 6032588
    55 Speedster 7160047
    55 Speedster 7165279

I would like to believe that any Avanti that can be saved should be saved, but I also know the economics are not there. I know there is a cottage industry supplying rebuilt and reproduction Avanti parts (to some degree), but having donor cars is all too often the only source of replacement parts.

Parting a car out so other cars can get back on the road is certainly preferable to simply allowing the car to sit and rot further. That does no one any good.
    Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

If the body is that good, I can see it being very useful to the Avanti world as a source of body parts alone.
      63 Avanti R1 2788
      1914 Stutz Bearcat
      (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

no doubt. If every piece of metal wasn't full of cancer, It would be worth saving. but over 20 years of exposure to the elements has taken its toll. It has a good body, glass and stainless. The interior is salvageable. The engine does turn over. Don't know about the transmission (auto). but it rolls well so I assume the the spindles, rear axle are ok. I need some parts to finish my 64 - that's why I bought it. I'll try to get some pictures up soon.
        78 Avanti RQB 2792
        64 Avanti R1 R5408
        63 Avanti R1 R4551
        63 Avanti R1 R2281
        62 GT Hawk V15949
        56 GH 6032504
        56 GH 6032588
        55 Speedster 7160047
        55 Speedster 7165279

Comment

Im interested in the engine if your looking to sell it.

Comment

You know you could always source a wrecked lark, frame. Could it really that hard considering there based on the same chassis. if its the same one I saw it wasn't that bad otherwise, I would try to save it.

Comment

That was my first thought as well. There has been a good frame on ebay for quite a while that would be great. If it was just the frame, hogs etc I think it would be doable. but, how do you repair the A pillars (windshield frame), roll bar etc. I did a quick calculation and get something like frame - 2000, hogs - 1500, rebuild engine - 3500(need carb, radiator etc) , rebuild trans - 1000, bumpers and other chrome - 3000, paint - 1000 ( for a cheap maaco job), interior - 2000, rubber (seals) - 1000, suspension (springs, king fins, etc) - 1000 for about 16,000 and you still don't have any of the misc shiny bits that could drive the price way up. After this, there is still the rust out of the pillars, roll bar and other steel parts. This is with an investment of hundreds of hours of time. of course , your mileage could vary, but I think it's a good shirt sleeve estimate based upon what I put into my 64. So with a 15,000 to 20,000 investment in money and hundreds of hours of labor, you could wind up with a 20,000 car. Of course, this is what it would cost to put any Stude (or any other make) back in service in similar condition, and I believe that being upside down is the norm in our hobby. I have been trying to talk myself into saving it - we'll see where I wind up. I won't be able to invest much time until May, who knows, maybe another parts car will come available and make it all worth while.
              78 Avanti RQB 2792
              64 Avanti R1 R5408
              63 Avanti R1 R4551
              63 Avanti R1 R2281
              62 GT Hawk V15949
              56 GH 6032504
              56 GH 6032588
              55 Speedster 7160047
              55 Speedster 7165279

Comment

Thats why I wouldn't do a "proper resto" on it, I would do a half assed resto mod, just to keep it on the road. Still if all the metal is gone it's pretty well shot. after you pull all the parts off it I would save the body, next time an avanti gets totaled somewhere, cause it's gonna happen eventually, sell it to them or buy it yourself, this car could still save another avanti that someone thought was just as far gone.

Comment

Is this the Avanti that was the blackish primered color for $2000 obo that was on ebay and craigslist? If so I was trying to get ahold of this one... just the whole distance/shipping deal was a set back.

It would be cool if it could be saved. Even if it does take upwards of $30000 and years of work it would be cooler to see it back on the road then parts scattered everywhere or ending up in a junkyard... (not saying it will).. But you've restored one already and know more than I do.. just hate the thought of seeing a somewhat whole Avanti being parted out.... When their gone their gone.. atleast in my mind.

Do you have any pictures of your 64? Wouldn't mind taking a peak at it..

Comment

I'll get some pictures of the 64 and 63 up this week. I have had the 64 (serial R5408) for about 10 years now. It still isn't 'done'. I have over $25,000 and many hours invested and it wasn't that bad to begin with. It only has 70,000 documented miles. The frame, hogs and the rest of the steel were in good shape. The interior was a little rough, but usable and it runs well. I believe the 63 is the one your talking about. It was located near Greenville SC. The seller wasn't interested in having it shipped, so I went and hauled it here to Tampa. At one time it appeared to be a good car. the seller had some pictures of when her father was driving it near Miami in 1989. It sat outside from 89 until last year, hence all the deterioration. The engine does turn free and when I checked the oil, no water. The transmission fluid is bright pink. Unfortunately, all the metal parts except the stainless are full of cancer. I could handle a frame, suspension and hogs, but I don't have the skills/knowledge to fabricate the pillars. I suppose one could graft the body parts onto another candidate, but that is also outside my skill set. There is an Avanti on ebay listed under parts where the rear was in a fire. It is supposed to have a good frame and hogs. but, I think there is little left otherwise. It'll be awhile before I can do any thing with it in any case.
                    78 Avanti RQB 2792
                    64 Avanti R1 R5408
                    63 Avanti R1 R4551
                    63 Avanti R1 R2281
                    62 GT Hawk V15949
                    56 GH 6032504
                    56 GH 6032588
                    55 Speedster 7160047
                    55 Speedster 7165279

Comment

cool! I look forward to seeing the 64 pictures. and yep, sounds like the one I was looking at. And yah that sounds like a not so fun challenge with the pillar but it may be do-able? I wonder if anyone else has tackled a job like that around your area that could help..
                      if you do end up digging into it for a resto best of luck on it.

Comment

Working...
                      X