PDA

View Full Version : Longroof on the road

LeoH
04-07-2013, 08:00 PM
Well, thank you all for your support and comments since I joined. I'll be hitting you up for some more soon. We bought a 1960 Lark VI wagon today. I'll pick it up Wednesday, I hope. 49K, but supposedly had the engine rebuilt in the 90s. (I'll see if there's any paperwork for that), frame was unexceptional, exhaust fine, newer tires. The current owner has had it for 8 years, and he's supposedly only put 250 miles on it. (so why do you have this???) He's an automobile mechanics teacher and the car's been maintained some by students over time. He has experience with older Packards as well as Benzes and has a '58 2 dr Ford in his driveway he wants to work on.

3 spd/OD, controls worked. The heater cable was stuck, lights worked, small drip under the crank pulley. I had a more mechanical local Stude club member come over to give it a look over and see if there was anything he could see to watch out for. He didn't.

Plans are to go through the brakes, maybe the fuel line. The mechanic said his big sixes on his trucks have a heat shield on the exhaust manifold for the fuel line. There isn't one on this six, he seemed to think the distance the fuel line from the manifold was probably enough to not be concerned about vapor lock. Anyone? Manifolds were clean and dry, carb was clean and no fuel traces. No leaking around the head, at all. Engine paint looked clean, dry and faded evenly.

A couple of rust bubbles starting at the bottom of the driver's side fender in the usual spot, but the bubbles still had not broken through the paint.
No bubbles on the passenger side. Man. Whoever put the sideview mirror on couldn't have done a better job of locating the mirror where it would be abso-LUTE-ly useless! Needs driver's side door panel replaced and drivers kick panel. Carpets are fair, but that would be an easy clean up to the interior. Split bench reclining seats. The light blue color. Was that how the interiors went, dark blue carpet on the floor and cargo area and aqua tint blue vinyl seat upholstery? Dash padding is decent and not split. Little rust at the bottom of the tailgate. Full wheelcovers. Has an AM radio, inoperative, missing a knob (white) and no aerial or cable. Is the fan usually somewhat noisy? The mechanic didn't comment on the sound. Needs a couple of knobs to get all matching and the speaker side blue padded trim piece.

First thing though, go through the brakes, brake lines?, fuel line?, shocks. Oh, left headlight trim ring is crimped and split. The hood insulation is hanging down like spanish moss. I figure to just barber it into an even flattop. Studebaker seat belt buckles in front, later generic plastic seatbelt buckles in the back.

Radiator looked in good shape, no leaks, new hoses last year. What is the purpose of the huge crank pulley? There's a large, flat surface in front of the belt, almost like a balancer maybe? It just caught my eye. Newer battery. Gauges appear to work. Steering wheel needs cracks repaired, faux leather lace up cover in the meantime.

I'm excited. My wife's pleased too. This should be the start of a beautiful friendship, as the line goes....

I guess, first things would be the repair, chassis and body manuals. Go through SDI to get those?

Captain Billy
04-08-2013, 06:03 AM
Welcome to the tribe, do you have any pictures?

Mike Van Veghten
04-08-2013, 08:02 AM
Welcome to the group. I've also got a yard full of wagons from 54 to 60.

Most of the 6's that I've seen do have a heat shield, but it's to keep the pump cool, not specifically the fuel line. I may have one laying around on a shelf somewhere.

Mike

RadioRoy
04-08-2013, 12:12 PM
Congratulations on finding a car. You have had a long search, but this one should be lots of fun.

GThawkwind
04-08-2013, 02:23 PM
Congrats, and good for you. Sounds like a car you can fix and drove as you go.

LeoH
04-08-2013, 02:55 PM
Mike V, PM sent.

No pictures yet. Couldn't wait to post about it. I will have pics on Wednesday.

RadioRoy
04-08-2013, 04:01 PM
While you are working on them, you can easily upgrade the brakes with any set of V-8 front brakes from 54 and newer.

LeoH
04-08-2013, 10:22 PM
While you are working on them, you can easily upgrade the brakes with any set of V-8 front brakes from 54 and newer.

I think if I do upgrade, I'll do that rather than the Turner package.