SDC club member had an accident last Aug. still recovering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SDC club member had an accident last Aug. still recovering

Last Aug. one of our good chapter members while on his way to my shop to help my grandson work on his Datson 240Z he never made it to the shop as he was involved in a head on collision in is 240 by all rights he should have been killed but was not , as of today he is still recovering and trying to get his life back together and walking is still a problem, My grandson and I went to his place last Wed. and took him out for a few hours and talked Studebaker's. after taking him home I snapped a couple of pictures of his broken Z, his Studebaker is a very nice 53 Commander coupe with 3 speed and overdrive and he figures because it is a 3 speed he will never drive it again so he might be in the market for something with an auto. but in no real hurry, I told him if and when it comes to that we will come up with something would like and could enjoy, he has always been one to drive his 53 to any and all events that he would attend, his name is Bill Avery and here is a picture or two of the Z.

Candbstudebakers
    Castro Valley,
    California

Hope he gets back in good health soon.
    Chris Dresbach

Comment

wow, he really is lucky to be alive...that Z really took a hard whack. Have a real soft spot for z-cars, had to sell my 72 to make room for my Stude in the garage. Best wishes to Mr. Avery for a full recovery. Junior.
      sigpic
      1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

Originally posted by candbstudebakers View Post
        Last Aug. one of our good chapter members while on his way to my shop to help my grandson work on his Datson 240Z he never made it to the shop as he was involved in a head on collision in is 240 by all rights he should have been killed but was not , as of today he is still recovering and trying to get his life back together and walking is still a problem, My grandson and I went to his place last Wed. and took him out for a few hours and talked Studebaker's. after taking him home I snapped a couple of pictures of his broken Z, his Studebaker is a very nice 53 Commander coupe with 3 speed and overdrive and he figures because it is a 3 speed he will never drive it again so he might be in the market for something with an auto. but in no real hurry, I told him if and when it comes to that we will come up with something would like and could enjoy, he has always been one to drive his 53 to any and all events that he would attend, his name is Bill Avery and here is a picture or two of the Z.
        You always feel for someone that goes through anything like this. I certainly hope he fully recovers and can enjoy his vehicle again.

If he loves the car, how about a few club members getting together and just putting an automatic in his favorite vehicle. Much easier than going the other way.

Bob

Comment

Ouch!

That photo is eerily familiar, except mine was a Karmann Ghia. I think I know exactly what Mr. Avery is going through. 1971 - Dozed off, hit an International Loadstar 1600 head-on. Broke my left femur in two places fractured some vertebra. They had to cut me out. Very long convelescence.

I agree. If he's really attached to the car, why not swap out the transmission, column and pedals? Finding a transmission won't be that hard and finding a parts doner for the rest shouldn't be that hard either.

Sending as much positive energy Bob's way as I can.
          Mike O'Handley, Cat Herder Third Class
          Kenmore, Washington
          hausdok@msn.com

'58 Packard Hawk
          '05 Subaru Baja Turbo
          '71 Toyota Crown Coupe
          '69 Pontiac Firebird
          (What is it with me and discontinued/orphan cars?)

Comment

Originally posted by hausdok View Post
            If he's really attached to the car, why not swap out the transmission, column and pedals? Finding a transmission won't be that hard and finding a parts doner for the rest shouldn't be that hard either.
            No need to swap out the pedals! The 53 automatic just uses a wide pedal pad that bolts to both the clutch and brake pedal arms.

Comment

Originally posted by Don Jeffers View Post
              No need to swap out the pedals! The 53 automatic just uses a wide pedal pad that bolts to both the clutch and brake pedal arms.
              Oh, didn't know that. Back in the day when I worked for dealerships they'd occasionally buy fleets of rental cars to fill up inventory on the used car lot. Then they'd sell a car off the lot where the buyer liked the car but not the fact that it didn't have power brakes or an auto (or a standard) and we'd have to swap out the brake booster and pedal or column and transmission and pedals from standard to auto and vice versa. Instead of ordering the parts and waiting for them to come in, they'd have us swap everything out of an identical car off the lot. It was a royal pain in the keester but I didn't get paid for my opinion; I just did whatever service order I was handed.

A transmission swap still seems like it would be the way to go.
              Mike O'Handley, Cat Herder Third Class
              Kenmore, Washington
              hausdok@msn.com

'58 Packard Hawk
              '05 Subaru Baja Turbo
              '71 Toyota Crown Coupe
              '69 Pontiac Firebird
              (What is it with me and discontinued/orphan cars?)

Comment

Glad that he is recovering even if it is slow. I agree with the others, that 53 sounds like a great candidate for automatic w/OD conversion. Best wishes for his continuing improvement.
                Pat Dilling
                Olivehurst, CA
                Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

Long term recoveries to accidents are no fun. There is generally lots of support early on, but then people naturally get back to their lives. Glad to see you're helping out in the later stages as the victim tries to restart "normal" life and activities. It will be appreciated, I'm sure.
                  Jim
                  Often in error, never in doubt
                  http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

____1966 Avanti II RQA 0088_______________1963 Avanti R2 63R3152____________http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

Comment

prayers and positive thoughts to Mr. Avery!!! recovery is a long, slow process. BTDT. substitute the "Z" car for a 250 Yamaha Enduro vs. an old lady in a '66 Cadillac pulling out from a side street without looking (in 1970)...

the trans swap sounds like an excellent idea!!!
                    Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

Yes, Best wishes and a speedy recovery!
                      Yes, converting to a automatic is the best way to go, plus a power brake upgrade would make driving easier.
                      sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
                      Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
                      "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

Bob and Clayton: A little bit of Studebaker makes the medicine go down. Thanks for visiting with me last Wednesday.

Bill A

Comment

Hi Bill glad you are feeling better. Usually out and about with Bob. Missed the trip this time will make it next time will bring Allanah. Here is a picture of her and Pinky at the Christmas party.Patrick

Comment

A little bit of Studebaker makes the medicine go down. Thanks for the visit last Wednesday Bob and Clayton. And thanks to all the Studebaker Forum guests who expressed concern and encouragement for my recovery. "Mr. Green" my 53 Commander Coupe and I are looking forward returning to the road.

Bill A

Comment

Originally posted by 57 Thunderbolt View Post
                              Bob and Clayton: A little bit of Studebaker makes the medicine go down. Thanks for visiting with me last Wednesday.

Bill A
                              I'm sorry about your Z car, and far more sorry about the damage the accident caused to you, your lucky to have left that lttle car with your life, although I'm sure the last thing you feel like right now is lucky. I hope you recover well and will be up and cruising again soon. Good luck. P.S. You should post up here every now and then, it's a fun site if you stude guy, or even just a car guy.

Comment

Working...
                              X