Made No Difference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Made No Difference

I learned a good lesson........installing the Saturn air dam on the Avanti did not result in a dimunition of coolant temperature.

Driving over four hundred miles to the NE Zone Meet.

Temps were about what they always are.

Naturally, it's only effective while moving. If it was installed in the correct place, on the bottom of the core support, it creates a low pressure area behind the radiator, which forces more air through it. I noticed a marked difference after installing mine, but again, only when moving.
    What kind of temperatures are you talking about?

Bob Johnstone
    64 GT Hawk (K7)
    1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Bob,

At 60 mph temps were about 180...with outside temps in the low 70's.. coolant temp was about 170 during the early part of the day driving less than one hour...indeed, the dam was mounted to the rad support on the Avanti...I am aware of the principle of the dam, I just expected a significant drop in coolant temp...guess I expected too much. Car has a 160 'stat in it.

quote:Originally posted by 55Prez

Naturally, it's only effective while moving. If it was installed in the correct place, on the bottom of the core support, it creates a low pressure area behind the radiator, which forces more air through it. I noticed a marked difference after installing mine, but again, only when moving.
      What kind of temperatures are you talking about?

Bob Johnstone

Comment

Forgot to mention, it's an R-1 with A/C. So there is always the restriction of the condenser in front of the radiator.

Comment

I have a 160F stat in my 63 r1 non a/c Avanti. It runs 180F no matter what the outside air temp. It indicated 180 even during the parade from the fairgrounds to down town SB during the meet in June. The air temp was close to 90F on the day of the parade and speeds were in the 15mph range all the way to town. All the 160 means is that the stat begins to open at 160, not that it is controlling the fluid temp to that value. a higher temp stat just throttles the coolent flow longer and is slower to fully open which results in a higher engine operating temperature. Sounds to me that your engine temps are fine unless the temps go much higher when it is warmer outside.

Butler, PA
          63 Avanti R1 R2899
          Butler, PA
          63 Avanti R1 R2899

Comment

You are lucky it did not drop the temp to 160 or lower, a recipe for fast sludge build up. I don't understand the logic of running the 160 stat, the engine will run cleaner at 180-195 and not boil over until 230 or better.

JDP/Maryland
            64 Daytona HT/R2 clone
            64 GT R2
            63 Lark 2 door
            52 & 53 Starliner
            51 Commander

JDP Maryland

Comment

I wish someone would repro the 170-degree thermostat...

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
              '63 F2/Lark Standard

The Official Website of the San Diego Chapter of the Studebaker Drivers Club. Serving San Diego County

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

I recall several years ago, Chry$^(# conducted a test of temperatures. They took three identical slant 6 engines (so you know it was several years ago), and ran one at 160, one at 180, and one at 200. They tore them down after running them for quite some time and compared wear.
                It was found that the engine that ran at 200, had less wear than the other two. The 180 engine was next, and the 160 was scuffed up pretty bad. Of course you have to control the heat, not let it go from 180 to 240, but with modern oil, running 180-200 is advisable, not running low temperatures. You have to have it hot enough to burn moisture out of the engine.
                Smokey Yunick was running engines at 240 to get full combustion and low emissions. Just food for thought.

Comment

But.............Smokey Yunick was one of the best mechanics in the world, ever............just maybe THE best. I can't imagine ANYONE on this forum setting up an engine to run at 240 degrees.........Smokey could, but who else would try. I feel most comfortable seeing a gauge at 180 degrees.........even if it should result in a little extra wear. To me an engine running at 200 degrees always sounded a little tight for my liking..........a little valve train noise to me is a good thing to hear on an engine with solid lifters.[^][^]

wagone and the Old R2 Avanti

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Stu63
                    All the 160 means is that the stat begins to open at 160, not that it is controlling the fluid temp to that value.
                    I don't agree with that. IMHO, the thermostat value IS the temperature at which the thermostat attempts to maintain the coolant temperature.

My GMC Sierra has a 210 degree stat. Once warmed up, the coolant stays at 210 degrees under ANY condition (at least during the 125,000 miles so far on the truck).

If your coolant temp is generally over the value of the stat, there is a problem with the cooling system. The stat will be always open trying its darndest to bring the coolant temp down to its value.

At what temp does a 160 degree stat maintain the coolant?

Dick Steinkamp
                    Bellingham, WA

Comment

Gauges aren't noted for extreme accuracy (not the automotive type anyway). But in my R2, 4-speed, the 160 degree thermostat results in a gauge temperature of 170-175 degrees on an 80 degree day. I try to avoid driving it on a day hotter than 85 or so as it does not have air. And no aftermarket "air dam". For what its worth, Dick. And I avoid heavy traffic. As noted above, I'm not fond of seeing 200 degree readings.

wagone and the Old R2 Avanti

Comment

Dick, a 160 stat may try to keep the temp at 160 wide open, but that does not meant it can do it as a 180-195 could.

JDP/Maryland
                        64 Daytona HT/R2 clone
                        64 GT R2
                        63 Lark 2 door
                        52 & 53 Starliner
                        51 Commander

JDP Maryland

Comment

quote:Originally posted by JDP

Dick, a 160 stat may try to keep the temp at 160 wide open, but that does not meant it can do it as a 180-195 could.
                          Agree...I also agree that 160 is too cold for just about any liquid cooled internal combustion engine that I can think of. 180 is probably a minimum for good combustion, best power, and to help keep the oil water free...195-200 is probably better.

Dick Steinkamp
                          Bellingham, WA

Comment

Candidly the car has never indicated 160 degrees, even with the 160 stat..it usually indicates 180 degrees....approaching the Throggs Neck bridge and in bumper to bumper traffic the gage climbed to about 210 degrees......as soon as traffic flow returned to normal the gage registered 180.

quote:Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp

quote:Originally posted by JDP

Agree...I also agree that 160 is too cold for just about any liquid cooled internal combustion engine that I can think of. 180 is probably a minimum for good combustion, best power, and to help keep the oil water free...195-200 is probably better.

Comment

I also utilize a full bottle of Red Line water whetter.

Comment

Working...
                              X