Making a 55 Commander a "Muscle car"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making a 55 Commander a "Muscle car"

Just had a spin in my 55K with the new extra exhaust (Don Simmons stainless). Sure feels like more HP. Have a 4bbl manifold and air cleaner lined up (hope to pick them up from Bob Petersen at South Bend in May) and have a line on a Carter 4bbl carb (55 through 58). Would that qualify it as a "muscle car" for the PSMCDRs? I will basically turn a Commander into a President mechanically. Other features: strong DG 200 with first gear start and a 331 differential (not TT). Everything else is bone stock and factory numbers (I have the P.O.). It was bored 30 over and I have 205 radials on factory wheels. What else can I do without breaking the rules? For example, for safety I was thinking Turner disc front brake conversion, better wheel and tire configuration and anything else the PSMCDR crew can suggest. Pertronics ignition, maybe? I've been to the races two years in a row as a spectator and would love to do a run or two, even if I come in dead last. Would love to try to blow off a chevy or dodge Suggestions please?
    Last edited by warrlaw1; 04-05-2013, 07:25 AM.
    Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

David about all you will do is have more fun than just watching, I might even try and get there to watch...Bob
    Candbstudebakers
    Castro Valley,
    California

Comment

Yer on the edge of a steep, slippery slope!

Speed costs money. How fast do you wanna go? Are you willing to pull the cylinder heads? Willing to run premium gas? Do the CASO stuff first.

1. Yes, a Pertronix ignition with a professional rebuilt and machine tested advance curve is a huge help. You'll have to do some testing with the initial advance as well.

2. Remove the exhaust heat riser valve butterfly and plug the shaft holes. Block the intake manifold crossover ports with a thin sheet of stainless steel.

3. For the races, use a dial indicator to set the valve clearance a thou tighter than the low end of the specs. Put them back to the middle after the races.

4. Make steel bar clamps to clamp the front half of the rear spring leaves. Spring wrap and wheel hop are ET killers. New shocks for the rear.

5. Build a spare rear with 4.09 gears and TwinTraction.

6. Weld in a bung for a wideband O2 sensor and buy an Innovate Motorsports or similar digital readout to tune your new carb.

7. Pull the heads, mill them .060" and have a professional valve job and positive seals installed. Have the springs shimmed to the high end of the specs.

8. Buy one of the cheap digital camera on a wand tools and use it to determine the intake to head misalignment. (Yes, an approximation can be achieved with careful gasket alignment and transfer, but there's no substitute for seeing what's down there.) Do the same with the exhaust ports and manifolds.

That should quicken it up for this year. Next year, you can get serious.

jack vines
      PackardV8

Comment

LOL. Thanks, Jack and Bob. Yes, it'll be more fun than watching. Studes scare the crap out of the competition, even old pretty ones More seriously, I appreciate the check list, Jack.

1. I have the pertronix module and coil brand new in a box. The distributor was the best of three I had to choose from, but I'll pay a pro to make sure it's right.

2. No problem removing the heat riser valve and plugging the shaft holes and crossover ports.

3. Valve clearance will have to wait until the day of the races. I intend to drive it there from north of Toronto, about 12 hours. Others are driving their's further, so I have no right to complain.

4. I can wrap the spring leaves. All springs, bushes are new and I'm running new gas shocks from S.I.

5. I can probably source a Dana 44 TT with flanged axels and a good gear set. Phil Harris has been a great help while I was building the car and he's been at the PSMCDRs every year. Can I run period Torque Thrusts or better stock wheels/

6. Wonderful idea to tune the carb. I have garages on either side of me that race stock cars. They should be able to handle the job.

7. Heads were milled, valves are brand new, seats were ground and hardened, seals are new.

8. When I get the intake manifold and carb I can do it up right before installation. Engine was balanced and blueprinted during rebuild (4000 miles ago).

Just getting it down the track will make me happy this year. The DG200 is factory (most 259s came with DG250) but with the first gear start, the 331 and the over sized tires, it's quicker out of hole than I would have thought.

Thanks for the encouragement. I'll only ever get to do this once or twice. At 60 it'll be a thrill. Then, again, Ted's still going long after 60. Cheers.

Comment

Pure stock Muscle Car Drag rules are here:

I have been to the race three times, though it has been awhile. One of my favorite cars was a '57(?) Mercury. Watching the guy rip through with three on the tree was a treat!
          Eric DeRosa

\'63 R2 Lark
          \'60 Lark Convertible

Comment

Wow. Thank you very much, Eric. That helps tremendously. I'm no pro, but this looks doable. I wonder if that 57 Merc was running a 292 or 312. I had a 57 Fairlane with a 292. It sounded sweet but I bet it was heavier than an early C/K. I should see if a local track is available for some trials before I attract the wrong type of attention on the streets (lol).

Comment

Originally posted by warrlaw1 View Post
              Wow. Thank you very much, Eric. That helps tremendously. I'm no pro, but this looks doable. I wonder if that 57 Merc was running a 292 or 312. I had a 57 Fairlane with a 292. It sounded sweet but I bet it was heavier than an early C/K. I should see if a local track is available for some trials before I attract the wrong type of attention on the streets (lol).
              The Mercury was a '57, and had the monster 430 cube motor in it, with 3x2 carbs. The under hood view was something to see. I wish I could find my pictures of this car!

Anyway, I guess we should get back to discussing Studes....
              Eric DeRosa

\'63 R2 Lark
              \'60 Lark Convertible

Comment

Yes, we're off topic, but could the Mercury you saw have been a '58? My recollection and research indicates that was the year for the Super Marauder option. The big Lincoln engine with the 3x2-bbl carbs was the first US car to advertise 400 horsepower.

A GMC supercharged version in a dragster was the Top Eliminator at the 1959 NHRA Nationals.

jack vines
                PackardV8

Comment

And hope a 55 Chevrolet Power Pack dont show up or a 55 Olds set up well. or even a 55 Buick Century. I dont think a 55 Ford will worry you too much but a 55 Chrysler 300 could give you fits. I Remember 17 second drag races well.
                  101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

Comment

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
                    Yes, we're off topic, but could the Mercury you saw have been a '58? My recollection and research indicates that was the year for the Super Marauder option. The big Lincoln engine with the 3x2-bbl carbs was the first US car to advertise 400 horsepower.

A GMC supercharged version in a dragster was the Top Eliminator at the 1959 NHRA Nationals.

jack vines
                    Jack, I stand corrected, you are right! I went down in the basement, and found an article on the car, in the January 2007 issue of Muscle Car Enthusiast. Yep, it is a '58 Mercury, with a 430cu engine and 3x2s. Heck if an interesting car.
                    Eric DeRosa

\'63 R2 Lark
                    \'60 Lark Convertible

Comment

Had one of those 58, 430's. Put it in a 48 Crosley station wagon because someone said I couldn't do it on a bet.

Comment

I guess 55 might have been too early for the factory muscle cars. Most car guys were hot rodding. I'm going for 17 seconds. I'll keep you posted on progress

Comment

As Jack said, you are on a slippery slope. Once you get to 17's, you will want in the 16's. All it takes is $$$$$.

Comment

Ya but you can do only so much and be able to run in the PSMCR and in 55 there was not much you could do but have fun thinking and dreaming.
                            Candbstudebakers
                            Castro Valley,
                            California

Comment

I remember a blue 55 4door that used to run "back in the day" 4 barrel,dual exhausts(glass pacs) a/t ,4:56 (or so) gears than ran in stock NHRA class at local drags.Usually won its class.
                              1961 Hawk ...4-Speed;4bc;Twin Traction

Ken Byrd
                              Lewisville,NC

Comment

Working...
                              X