Help with Master Cylinder for a 2R10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with Master Cylinder for a 2R10

I've been searching the forum for a suggestion on getting a new master cylinder for my 2R10 truck. I know it uses a 1 1/8 master cylinder and can find lots of replacement MC's for the 2R5 series with the 1" bore. Is it possible to just use this MC instead of the original one? I know they are hard to come by now days. Even the rebuild kits seem hard to find.

Any help would be appreciated. My 2R10 has been patiently waiting for me to finish her up and I'm now at that point that I can get it done. I had rebuilt the MC about 10 years ago, but when I checked it lately, it was dry. I'm concerned about that - and wonder if it would be better to just replace it.

Thanks!
    Ed

Studebaker Intl lists new #199235 master cylinders for 2R10s for $208. S-379 kits are $22.80. While your m/c probably needs at least a rebuild, it's just as likely that it's a wheel cylinder that's leaking, and not the m/c itself.
    Skip Lackie

Comment

Hi Ed, I agree with Skip that if it's been ten years since driving your truck you should look at your wheel cyls. With all the warm and cold you have there the brake system will condense water out of the air and settle in the lowest portions of the system. If it were me I think I would go ahead and rebuild all the wheel cyl. and replace those old steel and rubber brake lines as well.

Brian

Comment

Welcome to SDC and to the SDC Forum Ed, are you a long time member and "lurker" here, or a New ready to join guy?

See your "Private Messages" from the
        Dark Blue Line at the top of the Page.
        Last edited by StudeRich; 04-04-2013, 02:21 PM.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Thanks for the information. I'll get to work on those wheel cylinders and it is good to know that I can still get kits. As for being a Lurker - I wanted to scan the forum before I asked the question so I was repeating if it was already answered. I am a SDC member from a long time ago but dropped out for various reasons. It's my intention to rejoin SDC in about a week or so. I am looking forward to being back.

Comment

Working...
          X