Car cooler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cool/Heat: Car cooler

I saw the thread earlier, I think on the Forum, about a British owner looking for a window cool unit and how they were spendy and not common.

Does anyone know if someone's ever fabricated their own car cooler? I know, most will say, 'buy an a/c unit, blah, blah, blah', but just wondering
    regardless if someone ever saw a decent looking recreation?

a good aluminum fabricator might pull it off from a set of drawings and one to look at.....

Comment

After I get my car running and back together, I was thinking of rigging up a "Mighty Cool" cooler in the back seat and running vent hoses through the dash to get some "almost" a/c cooling.
      sigpic

1950 Commander Starlight Coupe
      Regal Deluxe Trim
      Automatic transmission
      46k original miles, 4th Owner

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs K Corbin View Post
        a good aluminum fabricator might pull it off from a set of drawings and one to look at.....
        Thank you. I am not a metal fabricator, but it seems like it shouldn't be TOO difficult and for that reason, someone had actually fabbed one on their own.
        Apparently it appears that original is more sought out than functional, for something like this.

Just curious.

Comment

For last summer, I fabricated something using a large igloo cooler, a couple fans and some ducting. I filed it with frozen water bottles. I filed it, put it in the back seat, channeled the duct to the front, and off I went.

Did it look tacky as snot? Absolutely! But you know, I drove the lark to our August meet, with the windows up, and I was very comfortable. I ran it from a portable power supply, so I let it run during the meeting and came out to a cold car on a 100 degree day.
          '63 Lark Custom, 259 v8, auto, child seat

"Your friendly neighborhood Studebaker evangelist"

Comment

Did you write it up on your blog?

Comment

Year ago when I subscribed to Hemmings Motor News there was a company making repros in plastic (ABS?). Other than the pebble surface finish, they looked good. Might still be out there.
              KURTRUK
              (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

It's worth a question to Hemmings, I think. Thanks.

Comment

Well, Hemmings said, no dice. At least nothing current. When it comes to the time, I'll start looking in swaps and parts sellers. Don't want to get ahead of myself.

Comment

Working...
                  X