Holly Truck Avenger Carb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel System: Holly Truck Avenger Carb

I am needing a carb for my 63 Hawk. There is a C-list posting up here for a Holley Truck Avenger #0-990470, Model 4150 for $329.00. Fella says like new. Electric choke. Has anyone had experience with this carb on a Studebaker 289?

Horseshoer Jim

PM sent....

Comment

A Holley 4150 base will not bolt up to a Stude intake manifold.
      You will need an adapter to make it work, as well as a thinner air filter, because your Hawk clearance to your hood is snug.
      HTIH
      Jeff

Originally posted by Farrier1951 View Post
      I am needing a carb for my 63 Hawk. There is a C-list posting up here for a Holley Truck Avenger #0-990470, Model 4150 for $329.00. Fella says like new. Electric choke. Has anyone had experience with this carb on a Studebaker 289?

Horseshoer Jim
      HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

The engine brand and the carburetor isn't a factor...

The carb. (cfm size) you mention should work well on a 259 or a 289.
        But the sellers price sounds a tad high. All you have to do is take a look at a Summit or Jegs catalog and see that new..they are $399.99. I'd think a used carburetor should go for much less, unless you actually know the history of the carb. and how it was used...I'd pass.

One for instance....carb. is installed on the engine. There is no linkage throttle stop, the actual carb. linkage is the throttle stop. The car/truck owner has a heavy foot....every time the carburetor is opened all the way, the base plate, the shafts, the butterflys, ect., are all being "tweeked"....!

Like I said, good carb., too much money. If you can get it for $300 or less and check out the throttle shaft/base (should be nice and snug), maybe ok.
        Otherwise, save another week or so and buy new.

Just my nickles worth.

Mike

Comment

I had one I found at a local church yard sale. I ended up selling it because it was too big a carb for a stude. They're more for guys that drive off road since they designed to stay running on steep inclines and hills.

Comment

Originally posted by Bordeaux Daytona View Post
            I had one I found at a local church yard sale. I ended up selling it because it was too big a carb for a stude. They're more for guys that drive off road since they designed to stay running on steep inclines and hills.
            A 470cfm (0-90470 Holley) carbuetor isn't too large for a V-8 Stude in good running condition. It's actually a very good size for overall drivability. The major difference with the truck vs. the car, carburetors is the way the float is controlled.
            I dare say, you may have had other problems. People are running 600 cfm carbs on the small Stude engine...that's...a touch too large.

As noted, and is required with most all carburetor additions to the standard Stude intake manifold, the 1/2" spacer/adapter is required. There are "many" different depth air cleaners that should make the swap plenty easy.
            Check the "Speedway" catalogs (various), they have a LOT of aircleaners. The round 14" style that's popular....the are sold with "many" different base options as far as how/where the aircleaner body sits on the carb. They are made of either steel or aluminum also.

Mike
            Last edited by Mike Van Veghten; 04-03-2013, 09:29 AM.

Comment

Yeah, if I remember right it was at least an 600 cfm carb. I never even tried it. I wanted an afb style carb anyway. I was told by a guy at work that the truck carb was worth good money and it was.
              Last edited by Bordeaux Daytona; 04-03-2013, 08:28 AM.

Comment

Summit sells them for about $365, with free shipping.

Comment

I have a new 600 cfm Holley carb I would sell for $175.

Comment

Thanks fellas! I just made a deal with studebakercenteoforegon on a good original Studebaker carb, which was what i really wanted anyway. Thanks again for your input!
                    Horseshoer Jim

Comment

A great big thanks to Jerry at studebakercenteroforegon! Great guy with lots of knowledge and tons of parts who helped me out with a carb, distributor weights, break system metering block, alternator and associcated parts. Thanks a ton Jerry and I sent you a PM.
                      Farrier Jim

Comment

Working...
                      X