View Full Version : Interior: Need part number or description - pillar cardboard

03-31-2013, 07:43 PM
I can't find my parts book and will need to replace the cardboard pieces that go from the floor to half way up the B pillar on 1966 sedans. I'm sure it was the same part as used from at least 1964. One of mine is completely gone and the other side is not looking very good. I can't find it at SI. Maybe someone can tell me the part number or at least what the thing is called. Thanks.

04-03-2013, 10:49 AM
Could it be I have stumped the entire online Studebaker community?

04-03-2013, 01:31 PM
If you had your 1965-1966 Body and Chassis Parts Catalog, it would tell you "Trimmed parts must be ordered by description: however, to assure correct trim, car serial number, body symbol and number must be furnished." In other words, there are no part numbers for these parts. Description is: "TRIM, center pillar"

04-03-2013, 03:22 PM
This material is usually referred to as "Hardboard", same stuff used on Stude. rear shelf's, trunk to interior panels and under dash "kick panels".

Auto Upholstery Shops sell a large chunk to trim to fit your Car. Then you can cover it with Vinyl or paint it to match.

The Day is coming soon that we will no longer be able to "Buy" some parts, they WILL have to be made.

04-03-2013, 03:33 PM
Check with Ernie Logo. Logo Enterprise listed in Turning Wheels

04-03-2013, 06:19 PM
OK. Thanks for the information. I had hoped it was a pre-made piece that some vendors might have some extra stock of. Of course it is true I could try to make my own. It wouldn't be too hard, I think. I'll try Ernie and maybe a couple others. I think it's just painted the color that's used on the interior. I wonder if it's primed first. Otherwise the paint color might be shades different than that used on the metal pieces. Maybe another solution could be to cover it in the same vinyl as used on the seats (as Rich suggests). It wouldn't be stock, but it might even look better.

04-03-2013, 07:08 PM
You may want to email Ernie. I spoke to him yesterday and he told me he is in and out and is looking after his very sick wife. He said I was lucky to catch him on the phone and suggested I email him to ask about anything I needed. I am sure he will have or make available what you want.

Wayne Youngward
04-03-2013, 07:30 PM
I had the same situation on my '65--only one of them left. I took that one and traced it, once right side up, once upside down to make the opposite pair, on a sheet of 1/8" hardboard from the lumber store, cut them out with a scroll saw, sanded the edges smooth, and painted them the same colour as the car. I also marked the screw hole positions so I could use the same holes in the sheet metal. Looks as good as new.