Withdrawal symptoms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Withdrawal symptoms

I've been Studie-less for 18 months now and want back in badly. But I'm debating whether to take on a car that is less than my ideal just to get back in.

Ideally, I'd get a first-gen Lark with three on the tree, OD (flathead or 8 is ok) that is very clean in and out. Turner brake conversion a definite deal maker. I've spotted several Larks with automatics, a couple with Chevy powerplants, and a number of '62-66s. I do not care whether it is a 2- or 4-door. My first Lark was a four-door, and I loved it. If you have a moment, please tell me your initial impressions of these prospects:

Btw, while I'm not dead set against Chevy small blocks in general, I've heard iffy things about Autozone's Recon long blocks.

Thanks for any and all comments!!
    Brian
    Last edited by drpreposterous; 03-30-2013, 02:04 PM. Reason: additional information

They are all nice,the green 60 catches my eye.like to see more on the red 61,interior and under hood.
    Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

The green one has the complication of a lost title. The seller's punctuation and sentence structure kind of cloud the picture, but from what I've read on line at the Washington DMV, a three-year-registration in-state may be necessary. Also, it's a lot farther from me (I'm in Detroit). Leaning toward the red one.

Comment

If I had the cash, I'd have the tampa Lark already. I really liked the seattle one as well.

Heck, I liked ALL of them! Take your pick and enjoy it!
        '63 Lark Custom, 259 v8, auto, child seat

"Your friendly neighborhood Studebaker evangelist"

Comment

The Portland, OR (actually Vancouver, WA) '60 Lark VIII in Oasis green is by far the most for close to the same money as the others.
          The 259 V8 Overdrive is a HUGE Plus, and almost everything mechanical is New another major plus.

In My opinion the next would be the Seattle Car, another nice, clean off-White '60 Lark Regal VIII Automatic, but no info on repairs, it may be so original that it needs everything mechanical.

The trouble with the Brown '63 Lark Regal (bottom of the line) just above the stripped Scotsman type "Standard", is lack of info, it appears to be a Standard Trans. no Overdrive, and most likely a 6, both not the best.

The Red '61 Cruiser WOULD be the better Car of all for sure IF it was in good shape. But we have seen it around F/S before for a long time and I don't like the fact that it may be hiding a lot, with fresh new Red paint, sagging front & rear springs etc. and from MICHIGAN?
          Another no-no.

There is not much going for the '59 Hardtop with the Chev. power except it is a Hardtop.

Isn't it ALWAYS the way, the best cars are always WEST, and in your case more money to get them, but that cost always outweighs the rust repair cost of local Cars.

I'll "break in" either the Vancouver or the Bellevue Car for you for a year or two, until you come for it if you like!

Update: I now see that you are considering the '61 Cruiser a really GREAT Car with the long wheelbase and huge back seat area.

Definitely get this Car on a rack and inspect for rusted Frame, floors, trunk floor. Also poor body repairs, Bondo, use a magnet.

Drive it and check the handling, braking, ride and steering, take a look at those sagging springs, maybe make a few hundred lower offer for repairs.
          Last edited by StudeRich; 03-30-2013, 03:30 PM.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

The first one won't handle like a lark, won't drive like a lark, won't truly be a lark, and a lark is what you want. The second one looks pefect for you, but no title is scary. The third one looks great for the money, the lack of 3 on the tree sucks, but otherwise sounds perfect. the third on happens to be my favorite year for the lark, but not yours, and it's exspenive, so bleh. the last one looked really nice too, if it was me I'd be after the third or last one, swap trannies if you have too, title issues suck, and if you have to deal with them, you should get a deal.

Comment

Sound suggestion, Randy. And actually one I've already been doing. Just not too many Studies to be had in the Rust Belt here. We do have one '62 Lark fs here in the Detroit area, but it's going for $5900, which seems high to me. Also, I'm more for the first gen Larks. The only first gen Lark FS around here is in rather poor shape. But thanks for the link--it looks like a better regional search than onecraigs or my-craigs-finder, which I've been using.

Comment

try this!
                Randy Wilkin
                1946 M5 Streetrod
                Hillsboro,Ohio 45133

Comment

Originally posted by rodnutrandy View Post
                  This is a very nice looking '65 with GM 283, you need to ask if it has Overdrive, a Huge plus.
                  StudeRich
                  Second Generation Stude Driver,
                  Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                  SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

PM sent.
                    Kim

Comment

The green 60 is your choice. If you can sort through the title mess that is the one. I had the same type car. got my vote. cheers jimijim
                      sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

I like the looks of both the red and the green ones. the title on the green sounds a little screwy, but if they are willing to help and are legitimate it might not be too bad...

Comment

I know what you mean about withdrawal. I have been looking for the right Studebaker car or truck since I sold my 52 Champion. The car in Clarksville Arkansas is close to me and looks nice, but it's a 4 door and probably a six. This time I would like a V-8.
                          "In the heart of Arkansas."
                          Searcy, Arkansas
                          1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                          1952 2R pickup

Comment

Working...
                          X