PDA

View Full Version : Frame/Springs spring bushing experts?

t walgamuth
03-30-2013, 04:14 PM
I went down to my Fabricators shop to check progress and deliver the hot rod studie motor and other parts yesterday. I helped flip the frame over so they could weld the rear boxing on the bottom. With the frame upside down and the rear axle removed from the leaf springs I noted that both springs have loose bushings on their shackles. Since they have grease zerks I believe they will not have any rubber in them. What is recommended to do with the springs? Are the bushings replaceable? do I need to worry about wear in the spring eye itself? can the rear be converted to modern rubber bushings then?

Alan
03-30-2013, 11:04 PM
Use UHMW and stainless steel for sleeves.

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g171/artcloud/AvantiSprings.jpg

t walgamuth
03-31-2013, 05:08 AM
Thanks Alan! I really appreciate you taking the trouble to answer. Can you give me a bit more information please? What is UHMW please? Is the bushing business like a king pin in that it will be obvious if there is excessive wear?

sweetolbob
03-31-2013, 09:12 AM
Thanks Alan! I really appreciate you taking the trouble to answer. Can you give me a bit more information please? What is UHMW please? Is the bushing business like a king pin in that it will be obvious if there is excessive wear?

U-ltra H-igh M-olecular W-eight Polyethylene IIRC from a previous career, exceedingly tough for a polyethylene and a bear to process when we first started to MFG it.

Should be self lubricating and be sure to use the SS sleeves. Should be easy to fabricate if you can't find the size available.. You'll just need to find a source of round stock. That should be easy with Google or Ebay.

I find a lot of these types of material on Ebay as small shops will have some left from a job and sell it quite reasonably.

Bob

t walgamuth
03-31-2013, 09:41 AM
Does any of our faithful vendors offer these products ready to go?

Alan
03-31-2013, 03:55 PM
I wish they did. But these are custom made for each application, using UHMW and stainless bar stocks. When you put the front bushes in you will find that they don't line up in the back. Most are off .050" to .060" or so. You have to make the sleeve to fit your offset. Since a pic. is worth 1,000 words.

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g171/artcloud/IMG_0076_zps989cd119.jpg

StudeRich
03-31-2013, 04:44 PM
/Cut/Since they have grease zerks I believe they will not have any rubber in them. What is recommended to do with the springs? Are the bushings replaceable? do I need to worry about wear in the spring eye itself? can the rear be converted to modern rubber bushings then?

Just HOW OLD of a Studebaker are we working on here? Nothing from '51 on would have Zerks and metal bushings. :confused:

t walgamuth
03-31-2013, 05:52 PM
This is on my 39 coupe express. I also have a 39 commander parts car so could potentially rob the springs from it if this is all too complicated. Prolly the sedan springs have seen less abuse.

The CE bottom shows a lot of running over large hard objects.....front suspension dings, running board brackets bent back etc.