No announcement yet.

Anybody want to buy an aircraft engine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody want to buy an aircraft engine?

Not mine. Just found this on ebay. I think the prince may be a little crazy but for the Studebaker engine builder that already has everything...

The only thing I wish is that the seller would have given a little more information about the engine. Does it run? It kinda bugs me when they give a sentance or two description and then a paragraph about shipping/pick up...
    Chris Dresbach

yeah, let me find my checkbook! i need a bigger propeller on the '51...
    Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

....but if you're in a group restoration that's putting that multimillion dollar B-17 back together that time had long forgot, it might be right up your alley!!
      1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
      1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
      1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
      1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

I am proud to say that when I was in the USAF, I was on a volunteer mechanic crew in 1983 ,that pulled three of the Studebaker /Wright cyclone radial engines with props off a B17 J model, that was flown into Davis Monthan AFB Tucson Arizona for a static display aircraft (non-flying) for there base museum. Davis Monthan is where the services aircraft bone yard is. This B17J can be seen at the Pima Air Museum in Tucson. I wasn't a Studebaker man at the time, but from a mechanics point of view, I really appreciated how powerful and well built these engines were..

Comment

The only aircraft engine I would like would be out of a helicopter and attached to a 1948 Tucker.
          Perry
          \'50 Business Champion
          \'50 Starlight Champion
          \'60 Lark Convertible,
          \'63 GT R1,
          \'67 Triumph TR4A

Comment

I did not know Studebaker made aircraft engines in ww2. Cool.
            Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Wow! What else can you say?
              Joe Roberts
              '61 R1 Champ
              '65 Cruiser
              Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Originally posted by t walgamuth View Post
                I did not know Studebaker made aircraft engines in ww2. Cool.
                Yup, they sure did. In fact every known surviving B17 has at least one Studebaker engine on board, some have all four being Studebaker. They were made in the building where I work and where SI is located in the Chippewa Plant. (later truck and military plant.) Jet engines were also made there for Stratojets later on during Korea.
                Chris Dresbach

Comment

On my ''Bucket List", was ""Get a ride on a B17 Bomber". My son won an auction at a dinner fundraiser that we were attending in June 2008.It was with the "Wings of freedom Tour " in Spokane Wa.There was a restored B17J, B 25"Ton De Leyo", and a one of a kind P51 two seater trainer. All funds raised went to the new Veterans Museum in Spokane, and that B17J model "Nine o Nine' 'was the aircraft .It had a significant war record. This aircraft was also coming back to be on permanent display at the museum in Spokane after its US fundraising tour was done. They flew from Spokane to Kalispel Montana for there next fund raiser. Needless to say , our 1 1/2 hr flight was amazing.We flew pretty low till the mountains, climbed over the snow covered mountains and landed in Kalispel on a beautiful blue skied day. I became fast friends with the pilot and flight mechanic . I asked them about the two Studebaker engines they had on there aircraft and the pilot commented," He wished that ALL four engines could be Studebakers.!I talked to him about the B17J I had worked on in 1983 in Tucson, and he said we were flying with 3 of that aircrafts gauges that they had cannibalized from that aircraft the week before in Tucson because they just can't get them any more. It was nice to know that they were "saving our history" like we do with our Studebakers. Yep, I finally crossed that one "OFF" my "Bucket list!

Comment

If this is even close to being airworthy- it'll get snapped up quick, I'm sure.
                    Keep in mind- running and airworthy are two completely different animals in aviation.

Just last year I was thinking about how cool it would be to roll up to a Stude show with one of these on a trailer.
                    After seeing the 'buy-in' to make it happen- I'll have to say so much for that idea...

Originally posted by Chris_Dresbach View Post
                    Yup, they sure did. In fact every known surviving B17 has at least one Studebaker engine on board, some have all four being Studebaker. They were made in the building where I work and where SI is located in the Chippewa Plant. (later truck and military plant.) Jet engines were also made there for Stratojets later on during Korea.
                    So you're saying that every B-17 on this list~

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ing_Fortresses

has a Stude engine on it? That is impresive!!!
                    I'd like to shake the guy's hand who verified that.

Seeing as the B-47 is a 'lesser known' bomber, here's a bit of it's history~

enjoy!!!

StudeDave '57
                    StudeDave '57
                    US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
                    SDC Member since 1985

past President
                    Whatcom County Chapter SDC
                    San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                    San Diego Chapter SDC
                    North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

Thanks StudeDave57 for the info which had my aircraft listed. I am an old SAC mutt myself. "Nine -O-Nine" from the Collins Foundation. Could you PM with where Custer Wa. is located?. Thanks Mike..

Comment

I think I've seen this very engine in operation! In the early 90s, I worked at Kawneer Corp. in Visalia, Ca. This engine was mounted to a test stand so that they could generate gale force winds to test the seals of the commercial windows and doors they designed and built. The had a 3-story structure that they assemble a bank of windows to - and then blast them with winds from this stand-mounted engine. Lots of spray nozzles providing the simulated rain.
                        In the late 90s they had a major re-shuffling of of production and research amongst Kawneer's various factories - one of which was IN Arkansas. I was long gone by then, but I used to look towards their back lot to see that "Studebaker" engine setting idle when they weren't testing. Then it just wasn't there one day.

The engineers liked to tell of the day that they frame this thing was mounted to, didn't get secured witrh the chains it usually got. The operator in the control cab got quite a ride when the whole thing started spinning around on the ramp!
                        No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

That must have been one heck of a site!

Comment

Originally posted by hawk58man View Post
                            Could you PM with where Custer Wa. is located?. Thanks Mike..
                            It's no secret. Take a look at a map of Washington State.
                            Your focus needs to be in the northwestern corner of the State.
                            Custer is about 1/2 way between Bellingham and the Canadian border.
                            If the map shows Ferndale- that's close enough.

Originally posted by hawk58man View Post
                            That must have been one heck of a site!
                            Speaking of sights (and sounds) guess what buzzed Mom's house here near LAX a little over an hour ago?

Yup- a B-17!!!

I am not joking.

EDIT~
                            As best as I can tell, based on colors and possible locations of the surviving fliers, I think I saw this one~

http://www.warbirdregistry.org/b17re...7-4483546.html

Pretty cool. eh?

StudeDave '57
                            Last edited by StudeDave57; 03-30-2013, 07:26 PM. Reason: added info
                            StudeDave '57
                            US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
                            SDC Member since 1985

past President
                            Whatcom County Chapter SDC
                            San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                            San Diego Chapter SDC
                            North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

Working...