Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How About An International Drive Your Studebaker MONTH?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How About An International Drive Your Studebaker MONTH?

Our current IDYSD comes and goes way too fast; often even forgotten about till after its over. An IDYSM would provide a much larger window of opportunity, and most anyone with a Stude could find opportunity to log at least a few miles during a 30 day period. Also, if planned strategically, i.e. during same month as the IM, I think we'd see a lot more Stude miles racked up, which equals more public exposure. Further, it may even encourage more folks to actually drive their Studes to the IM.

Just a thought.
    Last edited by JoeHall; 04-03-2013, 11:15 AM.

And certainly a good thought at that. I'll run it by the IDYSD committee and see what they think. I could see where it would have pros and cons. It would give the club lots of exposure, but at the same time be difficult to make everything run in sync.
    Chris Dresbach

Comment

I thought the whole idea of IDYSD was to promote the driving of Studebakers to people 'outside' our little circle.
      To involve media, such as TV, newpapers, magazines, clubs, shows, etc....

We all do the 'drive your Studebaker day' every time we leave the yard.
      But it was/is (as far as I thought) the 'promotion to the masses' that was the reason...

Kind of neat to see a Rehydration Station idea get pushed to the top (Matthew Burnette and a few others to thank).
      Funny to see where there is now a committee running things....
      HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
        I thought the whole idea of IDYSD was to promote the driving of Studebakers to people 'outside' our little circle.
        To involve media, such as TV, newpapers, magazines, clubs, shows, etc....

We all do the 'drive your Studebaker day' every time we leave the yard.
        But it was/is (as far as I thought) the 'promotion to the masses' that was the reason...

Kind of neat to see a Rehydration Station idea get pushed to the top (Matthew Burnette and a few others to thank).
        Funny to see where there is now a committee running things....
        That's what I thought too. So, a IDYSM would be a 30 day promo, instead of the current one day promo. Whatever a driver wanted to accomplish in that effort, TV, newspaper, magazine, etc., or just drive his/her Stude, there'd be a larger window of opportunity. Most import perhaps, DRIVING one's Stude is one of the best ways to promote, both outside and inside our circle.

Like I said, just a thought.

Comment

Well, there's truck month, African American History Month, and heck, February is supposedly Pie Month. Why not have a Studebaker month?

That said, I think "drive your Studebaker Month" is too narrow of a scope. I mean, as some have and will point out, some of us drive our Studebaker every day of the month. In fact, the other day I had a random stranger tell me he's seen my car a few times, and even posted a picture on Facebook once. It was a great opener for my "studebaker evangelism" to kick into overdrive. The guy's going to come to our car show in May now, so that's a cool turnout from someone just seeing my car on the streets all the time.

Maybe what we really need, instead of just "drive your Studebaker Month" is "Studebaker Awareness Month". In said awareness month, chapters and their members are encouraged not only to drive their Studebakers whenever they go out (which the hopefully do anyway!) but also to talk to people about Studebaker. It's a month where you might have a pocket full of business cards with your next chapter's meet info listed, and you can hand those to the onlookers who give you the thumbs up and "nice car"s - if they like your car, a whole boatload of cool cars will be at that meet on the card you gave 'em. A practical car show. Make that next meet a lot of fun, give away some small prizes or host a picnic. Anyone who signs up to join the club during the picnic/car show get's a couple bucks off their first year dues.

With a little development, this could actually be a good tool to promote the cars (and in turn, the club). But those are just ideas. I'm not married to any of 'em, so it won't hurt my feelings if you kick em to the curb
          '63 Lark Custom, 259 v8, auto, child seat

"Your friendly neighborhood Studebaker evangelist"

Comment

I like the overall idea of a "Studebaker Awareness Month" but I don't think it should replace IDYSD. When IDYSD was established, the thinking was that it would not only be a promotional opportunity but also could be a catalyst to bring Studebaker owners and SDC members together for a single purpose even if just for a single day regardless of whether the member is within a large and active chapter or a Stude owner that lives far away from others and has no real opportunity to participate in an "official" SDC event or, and equally important, are Studebaker owners in many countries around the globe.

As an eternal optimist, on the second Saturday in September, I can envision thousands of Studebakers out on the road in public at the very same time. i can see Joe Blow, who lives two counties away from the closest other Stude owner, jumping in his 2r pickup and driving into town like he does most every day, but on this day, it means just a little more because he knows that Stude owners in nearly every US state, Canadian province, Australia, New Zealand, Chile, Netherlands, UK, Germany, South Africa, France and other countries are doing the same thing (time zone and dateline adjusted, of course). What can be cooler than that?

So, let's have the entire month of September be "Studebaker Awareness Month" and, as JimC and others suggest, we individual SDC members and all SDC Chapters put forth a little bit more effort than usual in spreading the word. But, within that month, the second Saturday of September, let there be our special day. A day when our entire worldwide SDC family, StudebakerNation, calls out in unison, "Studebakers Are Great. Sudebaker People Are The Greatest!
            sigpic
            Bob Shaw
            Rush City, Minnesota
            1960 Hawk - www.northstarstudebakers.com
            "The farther I go, the behinder I get."

Comment

I agree entirely. Or maybe, instead of Wrapping IDYSD within the month, set Stude month as August, giving people a chance to build up interest and invite people to their IDYSD event in their area. I don't know, either idea works. I'm just kickin' out ideas here. Of course, as someone will likely point out, every day should be a day to make others aware of Studebaker, and they would be correct
              '63 Lark Custom, 259 v8, auto, child seat

"Your friendly neighborhood Studebaker evangelist"

Comment

Idys month?? Sign me up!!

Comment

Yikes!
                  Quickly followed by DeSoto Month, Kaiser Month, Rambler Month, Crosley Month, Packard Month, Willys Month, Auburn Month, Deusenberg Month, Plymouth Month, Pontiac Month, and finally. . . Yugo Month!
                  Ed Sallia
                  Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

I think its a great idea. More time allows for Chapters to plan activities so that all members can get their cars out for the event. You could have the "Drive Your Studebaker Month" coincide with a Cruise-in providing even more exposure to the Club's assets. How do we propose this to the powers to be?
                    Curt Devan
                    Kirksville, MO

Editor, Mid Missouri Chapter Newsletter "Studie News"
                    sigpic

Comment

Cammander eddie. Yugo month come on now. What do you have if there's two people in a Yugo going down the road? { a We go}

Comment

On INDYSD, Saturday September 13th, (our time), 'Studebaker of Australia' will host a sausage sizzle at our shop for all Studebaker & Packard owners, we did contact the the Packard Club last week, but unfortunatley they were booked up. We'll put it out to any media who will listen to get some non-Studebaker people to attend.
                        Matt
                        Brisbane
                        Australia
                        sigpic

Visit my Blog: http://www.mattsoilyrag.blogspot.com.au/

Comment

I like Bobs idea of one special day as it is, but combining all 30 days as a real special month. Lets advertise our DRIVERS CLUB.
                          Evan Severson

Comment

Now I suppose I have to dig out the 57 Olds for DYOD? It is hiding behind the Avanti at the moment.

Comment

Working...
                            X