PDA

View Full Version : What is the hardest part to find when restoring a Avanti?

TMAN0950
03-28-2013, 04:50 PM
What parts should I be looking for to restore a 1963 Avanti, while I finish restoring one of my other cars.

kurtruk
03-28-2013, 05:07 PM
What is the hardest part to find when restoring an Avanti?

Money..:lol: ..for some of us!

Gunslinger
03-28-2013, 05:12 PM
Mechanical parts are little problem. It's the little trim items that will drive you crazy. Much of that stems from having to undo what previous owners have done the car (a problem with restoring any car of any make). When I had my Avanti reconstructed (with a fair amount of modifications, so it wasn't a true restoration), I was unable to find a brake line pressure switch (not on a Studebaker, my car is a '70), and some of the chrome trim on the upholstered door panels. Somewhere in time a previous owner ran a number of screws through the chrome trim and the door panels themselves to hold everything down.

Some things to have ahead of time or as spares...pick them up if you find them at a reasonable cost...

bumpers
lenses
turn signal housings
back glass
a/c evaporator (if your car has a/c)...made of unobtainium in good shape
interior trim pieces

There's probably others but those are the big ones in my experience. Bumpers in good re-chromable condition can be hard to come by as are re-chromed ready to install units. Windshields are easy and still available new. Some weatherstripping has become difficult to find...rear swing-out window rubber in particular.

Even parts you replace with new or rebuilt can be resold on Ebay or a swap meet to help offset the restoration costs.

Best of luck.

Gunslinger
03-28-2013, 05:13 PM
What is the hardest part to find when restoring an Avanti?

Money..:lol: ..for some of us!

Also important is a good vocabulary of profanity.

SN-60
03-28-2013, 06:13 PM
On the '63, NOS glass headlamp covers are pretty rare now.

StudeMichael
03-28-2013, 06:20 PM
Original steering wheels are tough.

jd-stude
03-28-2013, 06:43 PM
The parts you really need are always the hardest to find. They will become readily available and cheaper right after you purchase them.

Ken

sweetolbob
03-28-2013, 06:54 PM
The parts you really need are always the hardest to find. They will become readily available and cheaper right after you purchase them.

Ken

How true.

I'm not sure how familiar you are with Avanti's but if you are fairly new, the go-to guy is Dan Booth at Nostalgic Motor Cars in Wixom, Mi 1-800-avanti1

He bought out the Avanti II stuff and knows Avanti's very well and has a great handle on what and where. He stocks a lot also.

I bring up his name because I just talked to him about a steering box seal. He knew what I needed, had the part and spent several minutes describing how to install it without damage. Other suppliers also have parts and are valuable but Dan is easy to contact and talk to.

Best of all, he's not hung up on modifications as he's modified a few himself.

Bob

edpjr
03-28-2013, 06:55 PM
Try to find a set of original chrome windshield wiper arms. The brushed replacements are easy as pie to come by, while the originals are dang near impossible. The problem with restoring a Studebaker Avanti is not availability of key parts, it's the expense of the dozens (or hundreds) of parts that will need to be replaced. Nothing is cheap. You can go broke buying an alternator or starter or a bumper or windshield or distributor or a power window relay/motor or carpet or a carb or a fuel pump (especially for an R2) or a tach sender or any gauges or door sills or a headliner or bright parts or a million other parts.

Scott
03-28-2013, 07:03 PM
Couldn't you buy the brushed replacements and polish them?

Corvanti
03-28-2013, 07:21 PM
the first thing i would suggest to purchase is a Shop Manual and a Body & Chassis Manual. they are available from "Studebaker International" online or through their catalog - which i also picked up. also the manuals are available on ebay off & on. i like the paper versions - but the manuals are also available on cd-roms for your computer. letting folks here know the part# needed would help find whatever needed.

as far as parts, try to repair/refurbish all you can, as it can get quite pricey. i purchased several parts from Mr. & Mrs. Booth/Nostalgic (aka: "avanti lady" on ebay), after calling them for things i couldn't find elsewhere.

good luck, and have fun!:)

bezhawk
03-28-2013, 08:13 PM
This.....22577:eek:

61Lark
03-28-2013, 10:12 PM
This.....22577:eek:

Yep, I totally agree. I still haven't found a decent windshield washer nozzle...

Nick

StudeRich
03-28-2013, 10:40 PM
Funny Nick, it couldn't be the R3 Engine though right?

edpjr
03-28-2013, 11:50 PM
I couldn't rechrome them. I finally found one, after about a year's search, to replace the one that was missing.

Couldn't you buy the brushed replacements and polish them?

LarkTruck
03-29-2013, 06:05 AM
Try to find a set of original chrome windshield wiper arms. The brushed replacements are easy as pie to come by, while the originals are dang near impossible. .

Chrome wiper arms are now available, but as others have said, it's the little trim bits that are getting tough to find.
Jim

03-29-2013, 07:52 AM
What parts should I be looking for to restore a 1963 Avanti, while I finish restoring one of my other cars.
The original correct salt and pepper carpets are kind of hard to find.

edpjr
03-29-2013, 10:54 AM
Interesting. Who has got these chrome wiper arms in stock?

Chrome wiper arms are now available, but as others have said, it's the little trim bits that are getting tough to find.
Jim

Gunslinger
03-29-2013, 11:24 AM
Interesting. Who has got these chrome wiper arms in stock?

Jon Myer has them. He may have been the one behind having them reproduced.

JBOYLE
03-29-2013, 12:18 PM
I hear door panels are NLA....of if you recover your, the chome trim is hard to find.
And some say 100% correct salt & pepper carpets are impossible to find. There are many that are close (and good enough for anyone not overly anal) but according to some, new exact repos are not out there.

effiedude
03-29-2013, 12:34 PM
I would have to say Unlimited funds!

ken-renda
03-29-2013, 01:36 PM
Just finished a 63 R2 4 speed last fall, in general you can find just about anything but some parts are very high cost, especially in relation to rate of return. One has to be dedicated to STUDEBAKER as a car rather than as a profit center. Some parts are difficult to find and use depending on how particular one is towards restoration process. One short piece of windshield trim was around two hundred dollars, could not find the "flange" that supports the rubber bumper at front of the hood and it had to be fabricated. Glass in PPG is hard to find and "OEM" replacements have at times been less than satisfactory. R2 Chrome air cleaner covers and many R2 unique mechanical parts are difficult, and sun visors are not available and stainless door trim is hard to find and expensive. Replacement dash is expensive and requires time and some adjustments. Others may have differing parts issues but these were some that come to mind. The best advice is do it right as that will pay off in the long run and, after working on the Avanti, don't kick the dog when you come in the house, assuming you might have a pet dog. Having said that, another Avanti restoration might be a possibility, but at 71 is not all that likely. Ken, Deltaville, Va.

Gunslinger
03-29-2013, 02:23 PM
I hear door panels are NLA....of if you recover your, the chome trim is hard to find.

The door panel backers are available...Jim Lawrence of FBN Upholstery (304-337-8693) reproduces them and they're top quality. A good upholstery shop can make the upholstered side using the originals as a pattern. It's the chrome trim that's difficult to find.

Roscomacaw
03-29-2013, 03:11 PM
Anybody wanna say what a MINT Avanti horn "wing" might be worth?

61Lark
03-29-2013, 05:09 PM
Funny Nick, it couldn't be the R3 Engine though right?

I said it as a joke, but there is some truth to it. I've seen a NOS R3 engine for sale, but I've never seen a NOS Avanti windshield washer nozzle.

This past summer SI had some of the door panel parts but not complete door panels. I was able get just about all the parts to make a set. Manual window regulators are tough to find also, but I've been able to piece together a complete set to replace the electric windows.

Nick

PlainBrownR2
03-29-2013, 05:35 PM
What's really funny is over the 3/4 of my lifetime I've been in the Studebakers, I have amassed a small album of the R3+ cars and engines I have seen over the years, in Studebaker installed, Granatelli installed, and everything in between. So given enough time, an individual will probably run into one....or two....or three.......:!:
The specific OEM parts(beyond the valvecovers and airbox) that make them go however, those are something else........

TMAN0950
03-29-2013, 05:46 PM
Thanks every one for your in put. I will start buying some parts as they come up. I will be going to the Studebaker Club March show in Phoenix tomarrow maybe something will show up there. You never know. Thanks again Terry

WCP
03-31-2013, 07:34 PM
Bezhawk, I gather from your R3 pic that you are still beating the bushes for a 4" elbow!

bezhawk
03-31-2013, 08:30 PM
Bezhawk, I gather from your R3 pic that you are still beating the bushes for a 4" elbow!
I gave up and delivered it as you see in the picture. I could have used a generic aftermarket but elected not to. 2/3 of the ones I have seen were missing anyways.

BTW......on the windshield washer nozzles......Dave T-Bow Has them!

61Lark
04-01-2013, 12:45 PM
BTW......on the windshield washer nozzles......Dave T-Bow Has them!

I talked to Dave this afternoon, he is going to send one out today. Thanks for the heads up, I appreciate it.

Nick

Lenny R2
04-01-2013, 09:36 PM
MY 63R2 Avanti comes from Kansas it was almost all orignal i did need a lot of mechanical parts but all the hard
to find parts were on the car when i bought it.I am looking for 2 N.OS. rear ash trays.Not sure how to get the
covers off to have them rechromed.

StudeMichael
04-02-2013, 08:50 AM
Nostolgic has the rear ashtrays in NOS Lenny.

edpjr
04-02-2013, 11:08 PM
Mr. Myer didn't have anything but polished when I tried to buy one from him. And I've bought a ton of stuff from him over the years.

Jon Myer has them. He may have been the one behind having them reproduced.

50starlite
04-03-2013, 01:07 PM
"What is the hardest part to find when restoring a Avanti?"

Maybe the CASH $$$$$$$$?

Dick

bezhawk
04-03-2013, 09:42 PM
The ash trays should be the same as some Mustangs. I remember some Shelbys using them. Try Ford parts sources.