1960 Lark dash

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speedo / Tach / Gauges: 1960 Lark dash

I had the following question emailed to me.

I currently have a 1960 Lark with a small block Chevy in it. It's far from stock anymore but looks pretty good. I would like to put in a new instrument cluster, but the limited space in the stock Lark dash pod for the instruments is pretty small. Well, while driving today I thought about how great the Power Hawk (and I'm sure others) dashboard looked with all of the Stewart Warner gauges. Then I asked myself if it would be possible to put in a K body dash into the Lark. I know the K bodies had a flatter windshield so the dash followed that same curve, or lack of a curve. Maybe with a little metal work (added material to allow for the increased curve) this could be done. How close are the widths of the K body dash vs. the Lark? Anyway, what do you think about this? I know anything is possible, but is this a lot bigger undertaking than what I am anticipating? Let me know what you think and then tell me if you have a dashboard like this that is for sale and how much you want for it. It doesn't need to have any gauges in it. Just something that's restorable.

Has anybody tried a Hawk dash in a 1960 Lark?

I do know that when swapping from a flat windshield car to a different, but still flat windshield car DOES work....but not so sure going from a curved windshield part to a flat windshield car or the other way works.

I was told (by a coupla long time Stude experts) that a C/K dashboard would NOT fit into a Conestoga (simillar body to the Lark)....well, I know for fact that it fits great...with no modifications..!

Give it a try and let us know what happens..

Mike

Comment

I would have to say I have not seen such a swap but knew of it being done before with 63 GT dash into a Lark but not sure of the year. So I have also contemplated the swap, as I have a 59 Lark, so now Mike has confirmed that it is, at least possible in his instance, I will be on the look out for one. I will also follow your progress, if you decide to proceed, and let you work the bugs out.

Comment

I've wondered this too & now it looks like it's gonna make it into my Champ!! Imagine having gauges that tell you all of whats going on instead of some lights!!
        59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
        60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
        61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
        62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
        62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
        62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
        63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
        63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
        64 Zip Van
        66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
        66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Robert,and Warren. you can make 63 - 66 Lark/Lark type gauges fit into a 59,60 Lark/60-64 Champ gauge housing.they JUST fit with no room to spare"maybe just enough room for a paint job <G>.but can be done,you'll need to make a shim to go between the two gauges so they sit level across the span.then you have real actual gauges between the two units,I built one and installed in my 63 Champ and I think it looks sweet "I went with the green face" style.
          Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

You do have to remember that the reason Mikes Conestoga Sedan/Wagon Body accepted a C & K dash is that it is a curved Windshield Car, not a Late '55 to '60 Wraparound Windshield Car!

Joe's idea is an easy one and works good, and just looks OK.
            BUT;

What I would do is simply bolt in a '57 Cyclops Eye Speedo Complete Dash from a Champion, Commander or President and install Hawk or any 2in. SW or whatever Gauges in the Instrument cluster. It works in both the '59-'60 Larks and all Champs and it is a bolt in.

Here is a Champ with only the dash Top from a '57 Sedan Installed.
            Click image for larger version

Name:	63 Brown 8E-11 5 ODd.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	32.9 KB
ID:	1679616

That way you could replace the Speedo with another '60 Gauge cluster with a custom fitted Ammeter and Oil Press. gauge from a '62 or '63 Lark possibly in the Fuel and Temp. Holes and you could have a Idiot light for 4 way Flasher and Parking Brake warning.
            Last edited by StudeRich; 03-28-2013, 09:22 PM.
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

All this has me thinking. I will check the fit of some other Studebaker gauges before I take out the dash or do any major mods. I am still a little reluctant to modify any body or interior parts of such a low mileage car, even though I have done many mods to the mechanicals. It's amazing what can be learned from this forum. Thanks.

Comment

Many years ago I replaced the dash in my '61 Champ with a dash from a '62 Lark and replaced the gauges with those from a '64 (see photo). The gauge clusters in the '62 are the same diameter as those used in the '64 so no modification is necessary. This pickup has been sitting unused in my shed for about 15 years, so the dash doesn't look as nice as it once did. The gauges in this conversion are much more functional and easier to read than the original ones that came with the truck.
                ~ Dale
                Last edited by blackhawk; 03-29-2013, 01:29 PM.

Comment

Dale,I like the looks of that.that's one version I never thought of,minds are always thinking.boy hard to tell if you have a Champ-Lark-or Hawk with all different trim <G>
                  Originally posted by blackhawk View Post
                  Many years ago I replaced the dash in my '61 Champ with a dash from a '62 Lark and replaced the gauges with those from a '64 (see photo). The gauge clusters in the '62 are the same diameter as those used in the '64 so no modification is necessary. This pickup has been sitting unused in my shed for about 15 years, so the dash doesn't look as nice as it once did. The gauges in this conversion are much more functional and easier to read than the original ones that came with the truck.
                  ~ Dale
                  Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Thanks Joseph! The original dash slopes inward at the bottom, so the small gauge clusters are located in a recessed enclosure. Obviously the very skilled can modify just about anything, but this design limits what the rest of us can easily do to alter the factory offering. At the time I modified my Champ's dash, I owned a '61 station wagon. I could see that the dash in the '61 Lark should also fit in the Champ and the Lark dash had a flat, upright panel in which to mount the gauges. I no longer can remember why I used a '62 Lark dash instead of one from a '61, but I remember that there was some reason, some small advantage, in choosing the '62 over the '61. I also remember that it was not a perfect fit in the Champ, but I cannot remember what the problem was. I think there is a slight different in the curvature of the cowl or part of it. It was not severe enough to prevent attachment of the '62 dash and I don't remember any visual problems once the trim was in place. If any modifications were necessary where the dash attached at either end or to the steering column, they were easily solved. I was very satisfied with the changes I made to the dash and they certainly made my Champ unique. I have never seen another Champ with this modification, even though it seems like such a natural for the truck. Those unfamiliar with Studebakers think the truck came from the factory this way.

I forgot about the Hawk emblem on the horn button until you mentioned it. Maybe I changed that too? I can't remember what horn button came with the Champ pickup or where I would have gotten this one with the Hawk emblem if indeed I did change it.

~ Dale

Comment

Just last week I got a GT dash out of the loft and held it in place of a 64 commander and it would be a lot of work to make fit and then how would it look? C/K dash are is to flat to fit the contour of larks.
                      Candbstudebakers
                      Castro Valley,
                      California

Comment

This thread has deviated a bit from the original question but I still have a few thoughts to add. I have a spare 59 dash gauge face I could try stuff on and some 62 gauges, which I'm not too fond off, so I can try a few things, I think they were black. (Just checked and I have either given them away or thrown them out) I don't care for the 64 gauge color as they are so far from the brown interior they would look out of place. The question is are there any gauges that have a black face, like the 59's, but with the four readouts that would fit the 59 holes?

Comment

Leonard, I think 63 Lark gauges are black or blackish.if you do this,the panel will be totally filled with gauges.send me your email address and I'll send a pic of mine,then you'll know if you like the look.
                          Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Yes, the gauge clusters in the '63s have a black face instead of the green used in the '64s. The "can" that holds either the speedometer or the 4 small gauges is the same size as those used in the '64-66 Lark models and will drop right into the holes in the '61 and '62 Lark dashes, but are larger diameter than those used in the '59 and '60 Lark dashes. I have a '63 Wagonnaire and always preferred those gauges. I just did not have an extra set to put in my Champ pickup.
                            ~ Dale
                            Last edited by blackhawk; 03-30-2013, 09:03 AM.

Comment

Joe, Thanks for sending the photos. I looked at them and the gauges certainly fill up the panel. I don't know if I want it to look that way. I will look into other options but seeing that conversion in person might make a difference.

Comment

Working...
                              X