PDA

View Full Version : Outside mirrors - Your opinions please

Dougie
03-26-2013, 09:35 PM
My 62 Lark apparently came from the factory without any outside mirrors. I didn't notice this until I was driving home after I bought the car. It's been off the road for 2 years while I am doing a Chevy 327 heart transplant. The car is going to look 100% stock when finished. I recently picked up a set of original mirrors for both doors. Now that I have been looking at pictures of Larks of the same vintage as well as other makes, I notice that many do not have outside mirrors. I prefer them for driving, but I want to keep the old school look. This will be a cruise night car. What are your thoughts? Should I put them on or leave as is?

63t-cab
03-26-2013, 09:46 PM
Dougie,I would put them on if you'll drive it in traffic.

Studedude
03-26-2013, 09:52 PM
Safety first.

Swifster
03-26-2013, 09:57 PM
If you use them, put them on...

sweetolbob
03-26-2013, 10:31 PM
I've been doing this driving thing for 54 years and I can't imagine how one could do it safely without outside mirrors. You can't see who's on your quarters nor where you're backing.

When I was 15 and taking drivers training, my instructor drilled into us the value of mirrors and made sure we checked them every few seconds. I can't get out of that habit.

Put them on, just think how you'll feel when you go to change lanes and bend up your quarter panel on the kid that was going 20 mph faster than you and you didn't see him.

Bob

Chris_Dresbach
03-26-2013, 10:35 PM
Better to be safe than sorry. Always have and use mirrors.

rockne10
03-26-2013, 10:57 PM
Mirrors were an option but available in '62 so, old school acceptable. Left and right both essential in todays traffic.
You will find it near impossible to get the right side mirror in to a position that benefits the driver. First find the most functional spot for it, then position the left side mount to match.

JimC
03-26-2013, 11:09 PM
I have both right and left mirrors on my '63. Here's my take:

Drivers side mirror: Fairly useful. Not as useful as a full size mirror you'd find on a modern car, but it's definitely shown me a car I didn't see over my shoulder on more than one occasions, so I'm glad to have it.

Passenger side mirror: Pretty, but almost entirely useless. that little round mirror shows me an area about the size of a box of matches, and I can see pretty well just looking over my shoulder. A few people have said that they sell a cheap stick-on convex mirror at most auto parts stores or Walmart that fits perfectly over the original mirror and widens the field of view considerably. That still doesn't change the fact that the mirror is the size of a pringles can lid and placed nearly 8 feet away, so I've let it stay original so far.

Bottom line, add at least the drivers side. The passenger side is mostly for symmetry and dressing, which are still good things.

Blue 15G
03-27-2013, 08:40 AM
My Dad bought a low mileage '55 Chevy in 1971 and it had no outside mirror on it. Needless to say, we went to the parts store and bought and installed one immediately.

Passenger side rear view mirrors were almost never seen on 50s and 60s cars. If it were me, I'd just put one on the driver's side.

Dave Bonn
'54 Champion Starliner

Jerry Forrester
03-27-2013, 06:39 PM
Safety first.
BULL!
Mirrors are over rated. Along with seat belts, dual master cylinders, disc brakes and air bags.
As far as mirrors go, anything hanging on the outside of the car slows you down and hurts gas mileage.

Studedude
03-27-2013, 06:48 PM
BULL!
Mirrors are over rated. Along with seat belts, dual master cylinders, disc brakes and air bags.
As far as mirrors go, anything hanging on the outside of the car slows you down and hurts gas mileage.

Howdy, Jerry! Where ya been? <G>

(Chrome adds weight, slows ya down, and hurts gas mileage, too, but I won't mention that.) -

52 Ragtop
03-27-2013, 06:55 PM
Bad grounds slow you down too!! <G>

Jim

starliner62
03-27-2013, 07:01 PM
It's nice to see Jerry in such a good mood!!

PlainBrownR2
03-27-2013, 07:13 PM
I added them to my Lark when I got it, on the premise of safety, along with seatbelts all around. Believe me, around here, if it was a safety item from Studebaker, I decked that car out(other than the disc brakes). The '55 though, had no side mirrors or backup lamps, and since it was one of the few operating vehicles from the rural dealership from where it came, I'm leaving the items off as a historical footnote. These things were luxury items at the time the car was sold, and since the people in the area had little money for all of the accessories, they weren't ordered for the car. That big ol' center bus mirror inside the car will suffice, and if I need to look back there, I'll crane my head around and see what's back there as I've always done. :D In short, I can go either way, but it's probably better to have them.

Studedude
03-27-2013, 08:53 PM
Bad grounds slow you down too!! <G>

Jim

OUCH!! :lol:

Memories are wonderful! :o :cool:

Studedude
03-27-2013, 08:57 PM
It's nice to see Jerry in such a good mood!!

He is what he is, eh? :woot:

8E45E
03-27-2013, 09:01 PM
This will be a cruise night car. What are your thoughts? Should I put them on or leave as is?

Usually, evenings and weekends the streets aren't full of traffic, and if your vehicle is strictly for cruises, I would leave it as is. For years, I drove a Studebaker without an outside rearview mirror without any mishaps.

Craig

rusty65
03-27-2013, 09:11 PM
Do the drivers side at least.It beats a blank.I have mirrors on both sides on my Daytona,but the passengers side is pretty much useless.If you're going to a cruise night, the tri-5 Chevy and Mustang people won't know what came standard or optional on a Studebaker.Plus with outside mirrors, it's one less thing for Johnny Law to pester you about.

Studedude
03-27-2013, 09:20 PM
When I built my car, I made a concentrated effort to leave most of Studebaker's styling alone, because I agree that it is hard to improve on what they presented.

I did, however, decide to take liberties when it came to safety. Functional mirrors, (both sides) are not an option to me. They are a required safety item. Drivers' doors that swing open during right hand turns are also something I consider to be less than safe.

So, I took the liberty of removing the wind vents from my door windows, and installed larger door windows, and modern electric power mirrors. I also changed the door latches and door handles, partly for safety, and, admittedly, partly for aesthetics.

I completely understand that purists will not approve of this treatment, but I don't care. I drive this car at speed on congested city streets, highways, byways, and 75mph turnpikes of this state and country, often in heavy traffic. If a situation arises that requires me to make a move to the left or right, I want to be able to check the mirror, and adjust my movement accordingly.

I will also say that such modifications are not for the faint of heart. There was a period of time, during the building process, that I wished I had not taken (what I came to consider at the time,) such a complicated route.

Some detail:

http://members.provalue.net/studes/stude33.HTM

But, now that we've done it once, I'm thinkin' my assistant and I could produce the same results in an evening or two. <G>

I recently enjoyed the company of a '58 Scotsman wagon,
which had the mirrors that mounted towards the top of the door, just forward of the vent windows:
http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r113/DavesPlace_photos/Wagon/wagon08.jpg

What a cool, vintage, look, eh?!

The short experience with that wagon absolutely convinced me I had done the right thing on my '54! The passenger side mirror of the wagon was not viewable from the driver's seat at all, unless one chose to lay down across the passenger's seat, while scanning with his/her eyes, looking for the mirror. Needless to say, such positioning rendered quickly checking the windshield to see what else was happening on the roadway an impossible option.

And,the driver's side mirror was all but worthless, as well.

I felt like I was driving blind, except for what I could see through the windshield.

The "problem" with most 50's designs is that you can either use your mirror, or your vent window. If you place the mirror where it functions, you can not use the vent window, and vise-versa. I decided that mirrors were of more importance.

Here is the result of what I did:

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r113/DavesPlace_photos/Sheba/mods.jpg

I'm not saying, by any means, that you should modify your Stude in such a manner. What I am saying is, that if you choose to run your car without mirrors on both sides, you are an accident looking for a place to happen.

If you don't want to modify your car, then mount the mirrors (BOTH SIDES!) where they will be functional, and to heck with the vent windows... seal them shut, anyway... that'll eliminate
loads of wind noise, making your driving experience not only safer, but more enjoyable! :!!:

With the fender vents, door windows, and rear seat windows, you can still accomplish adequate air flow.

If not, add AC, if that's what it takes for you to be aware of your surroundings!!

TOYOTA! My opinion... you asked for it, you got it!

Jerry Forrester
03-27-2013, 10:10 PM
Howdy, Jerry! Where ya been? <G>
Just sitting here watching this train wreck we call the Studebaker Forum. <G>

Studedude
03-27-2013, 10:11 PM
While pouring oil on the tracks, I see. <GGG>

Jerry Forrester
03-27-2013, 10:14 PM
While pouring oil on the tracks, I see. <GGG>
He he he he he.

8E45E
03-27-2013, 10:20 PM
He he he he he.

Yep, it could have been swarms of grasshoppers!! They've stopped a few trains!

Craig

LeoH
03-27-2013, 10:20 PM
Ya know, one would think someone with a chroming bidness would be ENCOURAGING more chrome bits on folks' cars.

:whome:

PlainBrownR2
03-28-2013, 03:28 AM
Do the drivers side at least.It beats a blank.I have mirrors on both sides on my Daytona,but the passengers side is pretty much useless.If you're going to a cruise night, the tri-5 Chevy and Mustang people won't know what came standard or optional on a Studebaker.Plus with outside mirrors, it's one less thing for Johnny Law to pester you about.

Of course I'm not looking into rewriting history for my car, as seeing as though every '55 was ordered with a full set of mirrors, tail lamps, and foglights, because that defies the area it came from. Plus, if it lasted this long, save for that nice big center mirror, a cognizant driver, and they aren't really necessary. As for Johnny Law, well, I have enough problems with them pulling me over for not being able to read the front plate, but couldn't read the back plate(factory ball hitch in the way on the Lark, looking for no seatbelts, err $$) and being unable to read a radar gun or use sound judgement on which guy, me or the speeding Tahoe a mile behind me(a dazzlingly well over exaggerated 20 over in a 45, in the Lark that wildly defied my always reliable Stewart Warner speedo reading, on a road that I knew better than he did, again $$), than whether he knows about NHTSA rulings on grandfathered safety items that are only required on the vehicle for that factory year, IL laws on things like mirrors, backup lamps, or seatbelts on the car, all of which I'd be happy to explain to them on a matter that they should already know, or show them Studebaker's options list. Around here, the requirement for two side mirrors didn't appear until 1978, and for the '55, since it has a center mirror and all of the same safety equipment still on the vehicle as when it left the factory, it's ready to roll right now. Now that I think about it, and I used the loophole, and reminded campus security at NIU to move my stuff from the dorms, Johnny Law didn't take any notice that they pulled over a Studebaker, nor did they notice the "nonoperating" hazard flashers either, gotta love that kind of municipal service :rolleyes:..........

skyway
03-28-2013, 09:58 AM
Those clip-ons do fit the "old school" look, just use a little self restraint and pass on the dummy spotlights.

52-fan
03-28-2013, 10:45 AM
Those clip-ons do fit the "old school" look, just use a little self restraint and pass on the dummy spotlights.

That type works better mounted a bit lower, at least on the driver's side. I used one years ago while my original mirror was at the chrome shop.

StudeRich
03-28-2013, 11:03 AM

Really, I am with Jerry, where else can you watch a dozen or more guys debating about Side View mirrors, no Mirrors or what type?

Really? Pretty crazy, 27 Posts to say:

"Everyone (except the Aussies) needs a Left Side Mirror, just put one of your choice on already, and be done with it."

Studedude
03-28-2013, 01:16 PM
Really, I am with Jerry, where else can you watch a dozen or more guys debating about Side View mirrors, no Mirrors or what type?

"Everyone (except the Aussies) needs a Left Side Mirror, just put one of your choice on already, and be done with it."

And, yours makes 28!

Nox
03-28-2013, 02:52 PM
I reckon it all depends on how easily & likely you want to/can turn your head enough...
(& I prefer old-scool racing mirrors on the fenders.)

63t-cab
03-28-2013, 04:35 PM
Ya I hear ya,kinda like those crazy rants about the proper use of white walls.so wadya say I pull my right sides and sell em ?

StudeRich
03-28-2013, 04:56 PM
Go for it Joe, I'll put em on the Left sides of my Cars!

63t-cab
03-28-2013, 05:46 PM
You mean to tell Me,You have'nt already put the left sides on and been done with it ?though I guess We should see if our models will even inter-change?
Go for it Joe, I'll put em on the Left sides of my Cars!