PDA

View Full Version : New pictures. Any information on this info would be helpful

Derickb
03-26-2013, 04:41 PM
Got home today and took some more pictures of the R10. And got the numbers off the body tag as best i could.

Body Tag Information:

T - 6036
P - 2890 ? 2E90 ?

Cab Model 2R -c2

Cab # 163468

Truck serial Number R10 - 30680
Model 2R10-22

Pictures of the rear end.... No clue cant find any numbers

Dash

The great what is it

2253122532 T86E - 1

More to follow

There are thumbnails here too cant figure out how to remove.. But are those split rims on that tire?

Derickb
03-26-2013, 05:37 PM
Alright Here is some pictures of a studebaker truck 2 blocks down the street. I cant get to the engine number. I hear it is a 55 truck all i know is that he said he has it for parts and might be willing to let me get some of those he doesnt need. My thought he doesnt need the engine right. I mean his runs, But he might have a different opinion on that than me. I could use that cross member under that engine too.

2R Truck Seeker
03-26-2013, 08:44 PM
Hi Derick,

I have a '50 2R-10 that I'm resurrecting...

Looks like yours is a late '50- early '51, and R10 should originally have had the little 170 cid flathead six, your tranny looks like the 3-speed column-shift job.

Wheels - those are stock R5* Firestone two-piece wheels. Technically, they are NOT the widow-maker split-rims that send everybody running, screaming for their lives. These wheels on the 3/4-ton are fine.

Looks like your truck was optioned with both the Climatizer and a radio - very nice !

Do you have any pics of the whole truck ?

I'm fighting a stuck engine... just pulled the head last week, and the pistons today... # 4 was stuck really bad, and all the rod bearings look like they've been exposed to antifreeze ( destroys the bearing metal ).

If you could get that whole truck down the street from you, that would be a great parts source... you'd have all the goodies to swap that V-8 into yours...

I have a lead on a 259 & 3-speed OD, but the funds are slim right now...

What else do you need to know about your truck ?

Regards,

Frank McM.

(PS: consider getting yourself onto the Forum at Studebaker Truck Talk - excellent resource! http://www.network54.com/Forum/23885/ )

Derickb
03-26-2013, 09:16 PM
The engine i have is a flat head six but not the number matching im sure as it was bought 3 years after the owner bought the studebaker for the 350 that was mounted in it. he was considering putting this flat head six he got later into it 15 years ago then i bought the truck.

here is the shots of the truck i have the grill and hood. and hood ordament too ! Dont see inside where a radio was but climatiser yes.

this tranny is on the back of the flat head 6 i have . A t98 borg warner ?

Frank I am trying to find out a few things. no idea what the colors where for her. But i hear it was probably tuscin tan. might just chose my own. How about that rear end where they strong? any luck with rebuilding them?

I know many say dont do the full body off restore. But this girl needs it. lucky part is not to hard to tear down. All the rubber between the body and frame is thin. Unbolted the bed today tomorrow we lift her off. Wasnt to bad what 4 bolts. brakets for the tailgate are there and good, bolts and screws shot. Those snapped but brackets ok.

Never seen so many leaf springs even on 3/4 ton. Wow

Derickb
03-27-2013, 11:16 AM
22556Inside the bed of truck. Nice No Rot !

22557 The number off the side of the block 523104-5 the head is 526990 can any one tell me what engine this is for sure. Im considering putting her in the truck. Do not know if it was a truck engine.i might just go the route of putting this in and keeping her close to stock with a few alterations :) more pictures below.

22560 See i do have the grill :)

Im posting all these and any new pictures on my face book to follow the work. Not going to load so many up here. I really thank you all

StudeRich
03-27-2013, 11:39 AM
The Engine is the not223 226 or 245 cid. Commander Big Six, this would not have worked in his Lark.

The Truck up the Street is 1959 Studebaker Truck, the only year that style was not Called a "Transtar" Truck. It's had a 289 "President" V8 Engine and is probably a 1/2 Ton. All ypou do is compare the rear axle Hub to yours, (in the center of the rear wheel, if you see a axle end and Nut, it is not a 3/4 or 1 Ton.

Derickb
03-27-2013, 12:08 PM
So Rich the Engine I have is the "Big Six?" 223 or 245 ? Not the smaller 6 that came with the truck?. Sorry so many questions but your answer fits well into the story i have for the engine per the prior owner' " I bought it with a 350 chevy in it, considered going back to a six and pulled the chevy. I found the larger straight six to place in it because i wanted a little more power and could not find the smaller one."

The Six I have free turns is clean "Inside" and my mechanic is doing a compression test. but well the starter is gummed up and wont turn the engine fast enough to test it yet so he is working on that.

Im trying to decide if i should get that v8 the owner says i can have it if i take it out. Of course i really have to work to get it out of the PILE its under.

Or if i should just work on the 6. the fact is i know i dont need to make this truck into a quarter mile racer. I dont even need it to go fast. It would take to much updating just to get it to handle the power and speed. But i would like it to Sound nice. Maybe if this is the big 6 it would do the job with a little warming up and some exhaust work. Whats your opinion

Is that President 289 special in any way that i should consider it more ?

\derick

63t-cab
03-27-2013, 12:29 PM
Actually Rich, I beleive that would be "226" or 245 cid.
The Engine is the 223 or 245 cid. Commander Big Six, this would not have worked in his Lark.

The Truck up the Street is 1959 Studebaker Truck, the only year that style was not Called a "Transtar" Truck. It's had a 289 "President" V8 Engine and is probably a 1/2 Ton. All ypou do is compare the rear axle Hub to yours, (in the center of the rear wheel, if you see a axle end and Nut, it is not a 3/4 or 1 Ton.

StudeRich
03-27-2013, 03:57 PM
Actually Rich, I beleive that would be "226" or 245 cid.

YES, it's a Commander 6, either a early 1948 and earlier 226, or a late '48 to 1960 245, either way a big 6 is a big 6, except the REAL Big 6's of way yesteryear. :)

Skip Lackie
03-27-2013, 04:13 PM
Your 2R10 truck is a very late 1951 model. It originally came with a 169 cu in Champion engine, but the engine in the picture is a Commander 6, as Rich stated. Can't tell the displacement without the engine number stamped on a machined pad on the front upper left side of the engine, just below the head. The rear axle ratio is probably 4.86:1, but could be 5.57.

See chapter 8 here:
http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com/StudebakerTruckHistory.asp

Derickb
03-27-2013, 10:08 PM
Today,

Today was fun i dont have a shop ! So i had to redneck a way to get the bed up. Oh hint, there are fender suports under those things to. You have to remove those. After much cheap wood and built on the fly as we slowly lifted the bed from the frame and suported it to get it high enough to roll the chasis out from under it. We got it, My 11 year son got bonked in the head by the old girl once. Nice story he can tell his friends though.

I have made my choice. Im not going to turn her into a hot rod, I got to much respect for her now. Lets face it i dont have a garage even. taking her down to a rolling frame. From there ill refurbish the rear end, brakes new shocks and take any odd ball welded stuff off her. Ill get the split rims redone. Im not telling any colors because i want it to be a surprise when its done.

Going to have the flat six redone its not a number engine but i like it. Warm it up.

Basic idea stock looking with some minor tweaks but no modifications that cant be Undone.

New pictures up on face book. the redneck bed lift.

http://www.facebook.com/derick.bland.7?ref=tn_tnmn