PDA

View Full Version : 1963 R2 Lark "The Whistler"

Pages : [1] 2

BobPalma
03-25-2013, 05:15 PM
Newbie (well, it was his first post!) Mike Lynch from Phoenix posted a request for more information about a certain 1963 R2/4-speed Lark that drag raced in Phoenix back in the day: The Whistler.

Rather than tag along at the end of an older Ted Harbit topic, I thought I'd post what I have about the car in a new thread.

Here goes.
It all began with a period clipping I cut out of the June 1963 edition of Speed Mechanics, Pages 29 and 30:

http://i571.photobucket.com/albums/ss155/BobPalma/whistlermagphoto_zps06ca9453.jpg

Depending on your screen and monitor, the caption beside the above picture might be difficult to read. Here's what it says:

"Surprise winner in A/Compact Stock class was a Lark equipped with the factory-blown Avanti engine. It proved to be a real stormer, zipping through the clocks at a speed of 96.49 in 14.59."

Ray Tanner Motors in Phoenix promoted high-performance Studebakers as much as anybody; he sold a lot of them. Apparently, "the boys" decided to campaign one of their own!

I wrote them the following letter, which is self-explanatory. I was two months shy of 18 years old when I wrote it:

http://i571.photobucket.com/albums/ss155/BobPalma/whistlerletterout_zpsd5c06dc7.jpg

I got the following nice letter and photo in reply. Again, self-explanatory. (Yipes; sorry for the poor cropping):

http://i571.photobucket.com/albums/ss155/BobPalma/whistlerreply1_zps582e2c16.jpg

Page 2:

http://i571.photobucket.com/albums/ss155/BobPalma/whistlereply2_zps9bf5c69d.jpg

Floyd Mendenhall enclosed a nice, glossy B&W photo of the car with his letter, as then being raced, that I have thankfully kept in good shape almost 50 years now:

http://i571.photobucket.com/albums/ss155/BobPalma/whistlerglossy_zpsdc94c37c.jpg

Yes, I have examined that Hawk on the extreme right side of the photo, behind the fence, and I'm fairly certain it is a 1956 Golden Hawk among the spectators!

To answer the next question, The Whistler is yet to be located! There are no known color photos extant, but "we" have analyzed it to death and are fairly certain it is Blue Mist. Andy Petrass has done extensive research and, by elimination, I think we have it whittled down to being one of two possible serial numbers.

They are somewhere else right now and I need to leave for a meeting, so I'll post them later when I locate them.

Enjoy, all...and thanks for asking, Mike! :D BP

8E45E
03-25-2013, 05:26 PM
To answer the next question, The Whistler is yet to be located! There are no known color photos extant, but "we" have analyzed it to death and are fairly certain it is Blue Mist. Andy Petrass has done extensive research and, by elimination, I think we have it whittled down to being one of two possible serial numbers.

There was a write-up in Jet Thrust News #17: http://www.studebaker-info.org/JTN/JTNEWS/jtn17.htm

Craig

asesolen
03-25-2013, 06:08 PM
Bob, Thanks for all the information! Any idea how they named the car? Trying to determine if there was any relation to Elmo Tanner the musician or coincidence. Thanks Again.

BobPalma
03-25-2013, 07:44 PM
There was a write-up in Jet Thrust News #17: http://www.studebaker-info.org/JTN/JTNEWS/jtn17.htm Craig

Thanks for looking that up, Craig. Here are the particulars from that issue of Jet Thrust News over ten years ago:

“The Whistler,” 63V15969. This was the handle of the Ray Tanner (Phoenix, AZ) AHRA drag car. Andy Petrass has researched the car’s VIN with the aid of a great photograph but wasn’t able to pin down the VIN. JTN published this photo courtesy of Bob Palma in JTN #5 and #6. The car was a 1963 2 door Regal R2 4 speed. Via Jerry Kaiser, Bill Eastburn relates that the car was Blue Mist. With the aid of George Krem, JTN has determined its VIN to be 63V15969. The car was ordered without heater or radio. The fate of The Whistler and its engine remains unknown.

I can't remember right now how we concluded that was the probable serial number, but we did. So if anyone locates 63V15969, it is undoubtedly a Very Special Car in The Studebaker World. Since it was delivered in a dry climate, let's hope it is lurking in a small, remote junk yard somewhere in the high southwest hills. :D BP

Lou Van Anne
03-25-2013, 07:46 PM
Ray Tanner Motors: I spent a lot of time in their showroom...drewling!

BobPalma
03-25-2013, 07:47 PM
Bob, Thanks for all the information! Any idea how they named the car? Trying to determine if there was any relation to Elmo Tanner the musician or coincidence. Thanks Again.

You're welcome, Mike.

I have never heard how the car was named. I always assumed it had something to do with the high-pitched sound of the supercharger being interpreted as a whistle, but that's just an opinion.

(Either that, or it had a severe vacuum leak they never located! :ohmy:) :D BP

BobPalma
03-25-2013, 08:20 PM
To clarify the lettering on the door:

http://i571.photobucket.com/albums/ss155/BobPalma/whistlerglossy_zpsdc94c37c.jpg

Below the huge Ray Tanner name is:

Studebaker Avanti "Jeep"
1500 N. Central
Phoenix

The information below the window is on two lines. The first one says:

* Owner - Chuck Bradshaw

The second line is difficult. I've looked at the original under a magnifying glass and can only make out the following:

* [something] by - Floyd Mendenhall

That [something] is too long a word to be Tuned. It could be Prepared. :cool: BP

BobPalma
03-25-2013, 08:22 PM
Ray Tanner Motors: I spent a lot of time in their showroom...drewling!

I wouldn't doubt that for a minute, Lou! :!: BP

62champ
03-25-2013, 08:31 PM
You're welcome, Mike.

I have never heard how the car was named. I always assumed it had something to do with the high-pitched sound of the supercharger being interpreted as a whistle, but that's just an opinion.

(Either that, or it had a severe vacuum leak they never located! :ohmy:) :D BP

Maybe it was reaction of spectators who had never seen the car go down the track.

One day when my father and Uncle took their '51 to the strip, my Uncle overheard a guy laughing when my dad pulled up to the line. "What is he going to do with THAT?" the guy said pretty loud - a veteran track spectator turned around and responded, "if you just wait a second he is about to show ya..."

studegary
03-26-2013, 01:48 PM
I note that in December of 1963 you were both using Postal Zones instead of the new Zip Codes.

My guess on the Whistler name is the sound of the supercharger at high RPMs.

studejohn
04-11-2013, 10:44 PM
Hi All. Mike has been posting photos, now it's my turn! Hope you enjoy.

Attachment #2 say's "Serviced by Floyd Mendenhall"

Attachment #5 says "Don't be caught dead sitting on your seat belt"

dean pearson
04-11-2013, 11:00 PM
Nice pics. but each one I open boots me from the forum and you cant simply go back.!?

Dean.

StudeRich
04-11-2013, 11:10 PM
OPPS, look like somebody DOES have the "missing" Whistler! :ohmy: :ohmy: :!!:

Welcome John!

8E45E
04-11-2013, 11:19 PM

Nice pics. but each one I open boots me from the forum and you cant simply go back.!?

Dean.

See if this helps.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8266/8641201391_8c6409c485_o.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8398/8642301494_e179a696e0_o.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8258/8642301516_96f3f67493_o.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8260/8642301560_d375336569_o.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8540/8642301558_a8ae49f9a8_o.jpg

This confirms it has no Climatizer

Craig

dean pearson
04-11-2013, 11:33 PM
It did!
Thank you.

Dean.

BobPalma
04-12-2013, 07:03 AM

John, welcome to the forum...and the ownership of such a rare car! It is so good to have confirmation of its survival, regardless of condition. Cool beans!

Since we have photos and correspondence from "back in the day," this would make a wonderful, documented story for Turning Wheels.

What are your plans for the car? If you'll give me your mailing address, I'll make nice color copies of the 1963 correspondence I have and send them to you. :!: BP

8E45E
04-12-2013, 07:15 AM
[/I][/COLOR]I can't remember right now how we concluded that was the probable serial number, but we did. So if anyone locates 63V15969, it is undoubtedly a Very Special Car in The Studebaker World. Since it was delivered in a dry climate, let's hope it is lurking in a small, remote junk yard somewhere in the high southwest hills. :D BP

Yep, John struck GOLD in them thar HILLS!!

Craig

Roscomacaw
04-12-2013, 09:16 AM
What a GREAT story! John, I hope the whistler's last chapter is yet to be written.

63r2hawk
04-12-2013, 10:00 AM
Just read your post..........Thanks for sharing.....one very interesting and very Cool story!!!!!! Loved all the pic that everyone contributed........!!!! By the way, Bob, I was 1 1/2 when you wrote the letter to Ray Tanner Motors!!!

qsanford
04-12-2013, 10:49 AM
Is there a Ray Tanner Jeep today? <G>

8E45E
04-12-2013, 01:38 PM
Is there a Ray Tanner Jeep today? <G>

Nope! http://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&biw=1920&bih=985&wrapid=tlif136579168589810&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=jeep+dealers+phoenix+arizona+area&fb=1&gl=ca&hq=jeep+dealers&hnear=0x872b12ed50a179cb:0x8c69c7f8354a1bac,Phoenix,+AZ,+USA&sa=X&ei=0VNoUff-Hqb8iQL_44GgCA&ved=0CLgBEMgT ...at least in the Phoenix area.

Craig

asesolen
04-12-2013, 02:26 PM
A little Tanner history at this link...

http://tanner-motors.com/history/
(http://tanner-motors.com/history/)
When Ray Tanner Sr. first decided to open an auto business in 1945 he had many auto manufacturers to choose from. He began his automobile career as a partner with Ray Korte at Ray Korte Kaiser-Frazer before opening his own used car and Toyapet (now Toyota Motors) lot in 1958. He eventually moved to 1500 North Central Avenue in downtown Phoenix and sold Studebaker and Jeep vehicles. In 1965 he finally imported Swedish made Volvos to the United States and built the first Phoenix area Volvo dealership. He fell in love with the safety, reliability and comfort that all Volvos gave to him, his family and his customers.
In the spring of 1972, Ray moved the dealership to 2143 West Camelback Avenue where it would stay for the next twenty-seven years. During the young days of the dealership, Ray’s oldest son and namesake, Ray Jr., began working for his father as parts runner and lot boy. No, there were no special family privileges or nepotism in this company. Ray Sr. instilled a hard work ethic in his son and Ray Jr. believed it was not only fair, but necessary, that he work his way up to the top just like any other employee. After many successful years as an office assistant, new car dealer and salesman, Ray Tanner Jr. was promoted to General Manager and eventually Vice President of the oldest running Volvo dealership in Phoenix.
When Ray Sr. decided to retire from the automotive industry in 1992, he passed the torch to his son, Ray Jr., and son-in-law, George Wylie. Together they were “Committed to Excellence” and aimed to serve the Phoenix metropolitan area with the best prices and friendliest service they could provide. George was the service manager and supervised the timely and fair repairs of all service customers while Ray became the President and C.E.O. as he encouraged his salesman to provide a no pressure, no hassle customer experience just like his father always promised. Together, with Ray Senior’s legacy supporting them, they built the most successful, customer-based Volvo dealership in the Phoenix area.
At the young age of 11, Chris Tanner, son of Ray Tanner Jr., began working for his father during the summer as a parts runner and shop cleaner. Summer after summer, Chris returned to work for his father as either a parts runner or lot attendant. After graduating from Northern Arizona University, Chris went to work for his dad once again as a new and used car salesman. It was here that he helped to develop the first Phoenix area Volvo website for the dealership and was manager of the online sales department.
After many years of serving the Phoenix community proudly, Ray Tanner Volvo shut its doors on August 31st, 1999. It was not too long after this that Chris Tanner realized that there was a true need in the Phoenix community for a trustworthy Volvo repair shop. He decided to open Tanner Motors in August of 2004 and has been servicing vehicles at better prices and with better service than the mega-dealers of today. Chris brought the same work ethic and determination to serve the Phoenix Volvo community to his shop on 7th Street and Colter that his father introduced in him and his grandfather before him. Chris has also begun to build a dependable pre-owned vehicle business founded on the same ethics and morals of Ray Tanner Volvo. In addition to the Volvo repair that Tanner is famous for, we also are now servicing BMW and Mini Cooper as well. Tanner Motors is proud to serve the Phoenix Volvo community in an ethical, responsible, and courteous way that is and always will be “Committed to Excellence”.

8E45E
04-12-2013, 05:16 PM
Thanks for the update, and nice to see at least one of the family members is still involved with cars.

Craig

studejohn
04-13-2013, 10:25 PM
Well thanks all who in joyed my find:D As far as finding Gold in there those hills it maybe.But more like fools Gold. But I sure like the way it shines.Bob thanks fore all that great info on the car and when you wrote that letter to Ray Tanner I was only about 2 months old. Guys like you make this club great. I have some photos to post of the car in its hay day .That Bill Eastburn gave me. And others of the cars present state.

63avanti.
04-13-2013, 10:39 PM
wow! this was a great read. Its cool to see that the car is still out there. Any plans to bring the car back to life or maybe add to the national museum as is?

studejohn
04-13-2013, 11:14 PM
Well I have a lot of the hard to find parts to put it back together. But time and money is the problem.Or something like that.As far as the Museum goes I don't think they have the time for it and would put into storage or most likely put in there Auction. :(

SScopelli
04-17-2013, 04:19 PM
Hey StudeJoh.

Is Tanner or family able to let you know what block/head combo they had in that car? He said R2, but that is a great interpolation from what I've found and read.

Did Bob ever take him up on getting Tanner's recipe for making a fast Stude?

Great to know there is a Phoenix legend as well!

BobPalma
04-17-2013, 05:15 PM
Hey StudeJoh.

Is Tanner or family able to let you know what block/head combo they had in that car? He said R2, but that is a great interpolation from what I've found and read.

Did Bob ever take him up on getting Tanner's recipe for making a fast Stude?

Great to know there is a Phoenix legend as well!

No, Sebastian; I never did. Note that our correspondence was in December 1963. Within the month, Studebaker production in South Bend went belly-up and the R-engine program was down the drain. Note the ominous date on my letter to Tanner: December 9, 1963!

As a soon-to-be 18-year-old about to enter college, my Studebaker interest fell off dramatically :ohmy:, although cousin George Krem and I stayed with it to get his new 1964 Challenger located and bought in the summer of 1964, and the R3 engine put in it later. :D BP

SScopelli
04-20-2013, 11:50 PM
I went to see the "Whistler" for myself today. Wow, what a piece of Stude History!

It is ruff. It looks to have been a Racer that was passed around a bit to a few owners.
The modification made to it for racing were ruff by today's standards. Welded on brackets then cut off, a few "on the field body modifications" made with a sledge hammer and rattle can paint here and there to cover the scars.

But I'd still take her home in a heart beat!

Barn finds seem to be about finding that proverbial lost car in the Barn. While the "Whistler" was found out side and not in a barn, the barn find in this story was finding some performance car parts.

John had indicated that in his journeys he came upon this box with a cam in it. He found this way before he came across the car.
Here was the shipping label on the Box. It took me a moment to remember what C.O.D meant.:yeahright:
Closer inspection it shows it was a special order for "Floyd Mendenhall c/o Ray Tanner Motors"
Inside the box was a fresh ground "Hard Face" Studebaker performance cam. It was complete with a box of thin wall lifters. The last picture below is the stamp on the end of the cam
23150 2315123152

On another parts find he came across a box with a disassembled SN-60 supercharger.. The lip on the intake was stamped, well you can look at the picture for yourself..

OK, so a bit off topic here , but It will relate in the end.. Hollywood likes these movies where a guy gets killed and his ghost comes back to avenge his death. Clues pop up here and there and in the end they guy gets his justice..

Could it be that the "Whistler" has some unfinished business in the relevancy of racing history?
It survived all these years with its racing badges covered up or faded away, being passed about used and abused and yet did not end up crushed in a junk yard.
Then by happenstance, its pieces scattered about the states coming together and then finally finding the car.
As John noted, he has a few of the hard to find parts and it is only a matter of time until another piece of the "Whistler" is found.
The ghost of the "Whistler" can rest a bit easier today knowing someday it will get its justice!

You cant make this stuff up..

Thanks John for letting me come by to see it!

8E45E
04-21-2013, 12:06 AM
Thanks for sharing those photos!!

Craig

Alan
04-21-2013, 01:07 AM
300 degrees duration and .505" lift.

BobPalma
04-21-2013, 06:20 AM
Very cool stuff! Thanks for sharing.

Note that Floyd's letter of December 12, 1963, mentions the optional factory cam kits...well, I guess they did come from a factory, even if it wasn't Studebaker's! ;) BP

r1lark
04-21-2013, 07:52 PM
Very cool stuff! Thanks for sharing.

Note that Floyd's letter of December 12, 1963, mentions the optional factory cam kits...well, I guess they did come from a factory, even if it wasn't Studebaker's! ;) BP

Maybe it was obtained via the Paxton Division, and shipped directly to Tanner Motors?

SScopelli
04-22-2013, 03:59 PM
I've seen some people post build sheets for their cars. How does one go about getting the build sheet?

BobPalma
04-22-2013, 04:10 PM
I've seen some people post build sheets for their cars. How does one go about getting the build sheet?

From The Studebaker National Museum:

https://studebakermuseum.org/store/production-orders/

Send them the appropriate fee and the vehicle serial number and they will send you a copy of the Production Order (not the original document, of course). You don't have to own the vehicle, so it is useful if you are negotiating to buy a vehicle (car or truck) and you want to verify any seller claims as to originality or authenticity.

I might add that The Museum does not own these documents. :( They have them, but must "rent" the information from the rightful owners each time they sell it. Hence, the fee charged is not all profit, and is a good source of income for the museum. There still isn't a free lunch....:cool: BP

SScopelli
05-20-2013, 12:55 PM
Hey John,

Having a hard time finding this post?

Here is a link to an old Hemming article about the Red Tomato that mentioned "The Whistler."

http://www.hemmings.com/mus/stories/2007/08/01/hmn_feature21.html

studejohn
05-20-2013, 03:54 PM
SScopelli thanks for the info.

studejohn
05-20-2013, 03:57 PM
Hay all what's the chances of the engine being found. Any one running it in there car?

SScopelli
05-21-2013, 12:49 PM
From The Studebaker National Museum:

https://studebakermuseum.org/store/production-orders/

Send them the appropriate fee and the vehicle serial number and they will send you a copy of the Production Order (not the original document, of course). You don't have to own the vehicle, so it is useful if you are negotiating to buy a vehicle (car or truck) and you want to verify any seller claims as to originality or authenticity.

Thanks to Bob for the information.. Well it was not 4 or 6 weeks, but real quick!

Here is the copy of the build sheet:
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4300/35793223111_e311a20a23_b.jpg

A real bare Bones car!

As noted in the Jet Thrust news the engine is JTS 1412..

Sort of what this picture has on it.. But this block is JTS I4I2!

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4327/35884232046_fdba0c5ee1_z.jpg

14x7
05-21-2013, 01:28 PM
Great post . Too Bad it can't come together sooner!

8E45E
05-21-2013, 01:32 PM
As noted in the Jet Thrust news the engine is JTS 1412.. Sort of what this picture has on it.. But this block is JTS I4I2!

No question its a match. Remember, Studebaker used the Roman numeral 'I' in place of the Arabic number '1' in their serial numbers and engine numbers.

Craig

studejohn
05-21-2013, 06:13 PM
Yes the chances of me finding the engine was very lucky all luck. My friend Mike calls me the Lucky Whistler. It was found in a trunk at Chuck Nagels place under a bunch of steering wheels I saw the aluminum timing gear looking at me and so it was un covered turned it over and there it was. JTS I4I2. And so goes I also pick one up about 3 months ago from that he new he had it was JTS I404 no that's not it JTS I494 is the one. JTS I4I2 looks to be in good condition except its missing its main caps but I think there's a good chance of finding them to. From I see it lost a crank shaft from the looks of the bearings that are steal there just need to go to his engine parts trunk and match up the bearing marks hopefully there be there. Chuck had no idea that he had it or we're he got it from he thinks he must have made a deal on a bunch of cars. I ya the missing door hood and front nose and left finder are found to. But that's a nother story.

58PackardWagon
05-21-2013, 08:28 PM
These cars do take time and money. My brother and I have 5 years into a 63 R2 Lark Custom along with a ton of money. We are just starting the put together process after getting the car back from the paint shop (super red). The only part I have not located is an n.o.s. 160 mph speedometer. I have the original and one used spare......but not an nos one.

2R2
05-21-2013, 09:33 PM
Yes the chances of me finding the engine was very lucky all luck. My friend Mike calls me the Lucky Whistler. It was found in a trunk at Chuck Nagels place under a bunch of steering wheels I saw the aluminum timing gear looking at me and so it was un covered turned it over and there it was. JTS I4I2. And so goes I also pick one up about 3 months ago from that he new he had it was JTS I404 no that's not it JTS I494 is the one. JTS I4I2 looks to be in good condition except its missing its main caps but I think there's a good chance of finding them to. From I see it lost a crank shaft from the looks of the bearings that are steal there just need to go to his engine parts trunk and match up the bearing marks hopefully there be there. Chuck had no idea that he had it or we're he got it from he thinks he must have made a deal on a bunch of cars. I ya the missing door hood and front nose and left finder are found to. But that's a nother story.

StudeJohn, wow...I just picked myself up off the floor. I have been following this thread closely, as I have always considered the Whistler one of the most interesting Larks, history wise. Now, your message above has completely floored me. The other engine you found, JTS-1404, is the correct engine for my car!

Like the Whistler, my car (a R2, 4-speed Lark Custom 2-door) was built in November of '62, was originally shipped to Arizona, and eventually ended up at Chuck Naugle's. I have owned the car 15 years, and while I have talked to Chuck about it, I never had any luck finding the original block...finding out it is still in existence...wow, amazing - I am speechless!

Could you provide some detalis on JTS-1404? Please feel free to private message me if you wish. My Studebaker bank account is tapped out, but I would love to find out more about it, and keep track of it, as it would be great if I could someday re-connect it with the car it came with.

Thanks for the updates, and keep them coming!!!

8E45E
05-21-2013, 10:59 PM
Eric,

I've seen your car, and it does deserve its original engine back!!

Let's hope you get it in the end!

Craig

studejohn
05-21-2013, 11:51 PM
sorry all didnt find JTS1404 JUST JTS 1494 AND know of a nother JTS 1670 that is in king man az he may build somthing around it or if ask my sale it?

SScopelli
05-29-2013, 03:11 PM
If you have been checking this post lately, you may have know by now, the original JTS block for the "Whistler" has been found.

In a discussion with John awhile back on the fate of this car, he was cautious to proceed further until he gathered up all the parts necessary.

The most important part to find would be the original engine. It would be hard to validate this car as the Whistler without it.

I'm sure many have opinion on this matter, and mine was to find a replacement block with no stamp and use it as is. One of the Studebaker vendors told John, "Its out there, you just have to find it!" Easy for Chuck Collins to say!

Well off to the Studebaker graveyard for a look! If you have, "The Sickness," as they call it, this place is nirvana. Being a Lark guy, it was for me.

I began digging about in the cars and John pointed out a few cars where parts I might be looking for were kept. I came across one car with just steering wheels in it. I could not tell what was in the trunk. It had no lock, I could reach the trip mechanism with my finger, bounced on it a few times, but I could not open it. I just walked on..

After digging for some pulleys in another car, I walked back and saw John at the car with the steering wheels, with the trunk Open! "How the heck did you open that?" I asked.. John then said, "I bounced on it!" He then pointed at an engine in the trunk and asked, "What does that say?"

While the engine did not really say "Oh C#*p!" It was truly a moment for such words.

Here is the picture of John smiling, and as Chuck said, "You just have to find it!"

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4305/35925068485_1fe71be12d.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/WJznfv)IMG950126_zpsdbd96857 (https://flic.kr/p/WJznfv) by s blazel (https://www.flickr.com/photos/124054617@N06/), on Flickr

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4327/35884232046_fdba0c5ee1_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/WEY4ZY)IMG950124_zps1aeb1a88 (https://flic.kr/p/WEY4ZY) by s blazel (https://www.flickr.com/photos/124054617@N06/), on Flickr

In closing, my dad was also a car enthusiast with well.. I'll be polite.. Many cars! A friend stopped by my dad's place and I said, "Like the Junkyard!" My friend replied, "Some see junk, I just see a lot of interesting stories!"

As for stories, I'd sure like to know the story of how that block, got into that trunk!

drew72mgb
05-29-2013, 03:15 PM
Congrats!

Very interesting story lining up here.

Trying to keep up with it.

Drew

SScopelli
01-30-2014, 09:45 PM
If you've enjoyed this thread, Go to this one and vote for the Whistler..

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?78416-Most-Significant-Studebaker-News-Stories-amp-Discoveries-in-2013

BobPalma
01-31-2014, 07:38 AM
:) What Seb said.

If you stop to think about it, this thread is about 10 months old and has about 3300 reads. That means it has been read, on average, ten times per day, every day, for ten months! That would seem to well-establish the interest in The Whistler. :!: BP

evilhawk
01-31-2014, 08:52 AM
When ever I see a new post on this thread I always check it out. So yeah, this is probably my favorite find so far.

Jessie J.
01-31-2014, 02:58 PM
Hope to see it again doing what it is famous for, not just gathering dust in someone's collection but, out kicking some big A on the strips.

plum55
01-31-2014, 03:15 PM
Just stumbled onto this story--what an improbable confluence of circumstances!! Great read!

Dan Timberlake
02-02-2014, 02:13 PM
By chance does that Isky cam box label say "Race' after "FULL" under the shipping tape? As in "FULL RACE."
http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=23147&d=1366515181

Some folks poke fun at the "Full Race" description today, likening it to the oversize muffler tips and outrageous wings favored by young enthusiasts/posers today.
I think if Isky said it out loud in print back in 1963 it might show some legitimacy.
I think Honest Charlie and Almquist both might have used it back then. Gotta dig out my old catalogs.

Jessie J.
02-02-2014, 10:09 PM
I recall many cam grinders using those terms in their advertising back in the late 50s and early '60s. Most everyone wanted a hot cam for bragging rights, but only the most hard-core had any real grasp of lift and duration figures. And the 'cool' thing to state was; 'She's got three deuces and a full-race cam', Sometimes a high lift cam. Hardly any 'regular' guys gave the figures, 'least not in their normal everyday buddy car jive.
Lot of it was just so much BS. I stuck such a 'big' cam in my first 283, and it sure sounded wicked mean .... but slower than it had been dead stock.

SScopelli
02-03-2014, 01:06 AM
I'd like to point out something that has fascinated me since this thread began.

This thread is not only about "The Whistler", but something more.

Sure it was exciting to see the car removed from its ominous burial in the desert, but only because it had the telltale signs of it being a real "R" car. Until it was truly out in the open, only then could one see the worn off markings and the ghost it left behind in the paint, that this was a race car as well.

But lets go back to the end of 1963, when a young man named Bob Palma, took a clipping from a race magazine and wrote to the car dealer that was sponsoring a 63 "Blown" Lark drag car. The only reason he was able to write to "Ray Tanner Motor's" (some 1700 miles away) was because he searched out back issues of Studebaker news for the dealer's address.

What the..?

In today's age, we can do a Google search and have information like that at our fingertips in milliseconds. But in 1963?

http://i571.photobucket.com/albums/ss155/BobPalma/whistlermagphoto_zps06ca9453.jpg

Most grownups during 1963 didn't find much interest in life past the end of Main street in their own town, let alone an 18 year old during that time.

If you're not familiar with Bob Palma's letter to Tanner Motor's and the response Bob got back from Tanner Motor's, you can read it again by clicking on the post link below. You can hit the back button when you're done..

...more information about a certain 1963 R2/4-speed Lark that drag raced in Phoenix back in the day:

You might also want to note, that the picture Mr. Palma clipped out of his magazine, and the gloss photo that was returned, had some interesting updates between them. The one Bob clipped out looked like a fairly new car with stock disc brake rims, and had white shoe polish writing on the doors and fenders. Also note, no mention of being called "The Whistler."

This picture was taken in October of 1963, by J.R. Bloom while it was racing at "Bee Line" Drag Strip in Scottsdale Arizona, and note, No name..

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4303/35115869223_1498c1b4d1_c.jpg

The Stickers with the Cross-hair on them is an Autolite sparkplugs one. The oval shaped one at the bottom of the window, second from the right is the Bee Line sticker..

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4312/35925068675_fa09fc93cb_c.jpg

By chance does that Isky cam box label say "Race' after "FULL" under the shipping tape? As in "FULL RACE."

Yes, Full RACE.. It was a 300 degrees duration and .505" lift. Also the end of the Cam was stamped, "Hard Face" which may have been an indication that it was welded back up to regrind at the high lift. This cam would only be suited for short high reves like a drag race, opposed to stop and go traffic.

if you were to "Drive" this cam, it would seem like the car had no power.. That is because street driving is from 1k-3k RPM. This cam is for performance at the 4k-7K rpm range, especially at the end of the 1/4 mile where your RPMs are expected to be at max.

If you hit MAX RPMs from your engine at the end, it means you left noting behind.

3,685.. Wow.

BobPalma
02-03-2014, 05:58 AM
Good follow-up and analysis, Seb.

To me, the most remarkable part about life back then, and in between, is that I kept all that stuff. Usually, with other interests intervening, Studebaker going out of business, etc., people would toss material like that, what with college, moving into two different apartments after Purdue, then a mobile home for a few years before getting married, and then two homes after that!

But no, for some reason, I hauled all that material with me from place to place. Whew; 'glad I did. :cool: (Gotta' admit, though, I never thought it would be this "valuable" to the hobby...not in monetary terms, you understand.)

BTW: I was only 17 years old when I clipped the magazine picture of "The Tempest Eater."

I was still only 17 when corresponding with Roy Mendenhall at Ray Tanner Motors in late 1963. ('Didn't turn 18 until February 11, 1964!) :ohmy:

More Trivia: Famous Alaskan Sarah [nee Heath] Palin was born on my 18th birthday! (Inventor Thomas Alva Edison was also born on February 11, but in 1847, long before baby-boomers Palma and Heath!) :cool: BP

8E45E
02-03-2014, 06:46 AM
not in monetary terms, you understand[/I].)

No doubt its a factor that this discovery is currently the 'most significant' news story for last year so far, looking at the poll results to date.

Craig

BobPalma
02-03-2014, 08:49 AM
No doubt its a factor that this discovery is currently the 'most significant' news story for last year so far, looking at the poll results to date. Craig

'Prolly so, Craig! :D Thanks. :!: BP

gordr
02-03-2014, 10:21 AM
This has been a most interesting thread. I hope some time I can see this car in person on some future trip to Arizona.

SScopelli
02-03-2014, 11:08 AM
Bob,

Sorry for misstating your age at the time..:oops:

But Happy Early Birthday .. By the way.. mine is Feb 10th! The great Jimmy Durante and I share the same day, but he was born in 1893!

I for one am glad you decided to haul your good memories around and the vast discussions with guys like Tanner and Mendenhall..

I for one have been privileged to have received some of your correspondence with even Studebaker themselves. Telling Studebaker that offering a better selection of gear ratios would help them be more competitive at the tracks.. I was not like that at 17..

My 13 year old son, on the other hand is like that as well. He communicates with Video game makers telling them what he thinks is "cool" :cool:.

Unlike the leadership at Studebaker, they actually have take some of his suggestions.

Studebaker shut their eyes that there was an up and coming WAVE of "Muscle" cars coming and that they had a head start! I wonder if they ever kick themselves realizing that Bob Palma, a kid down the street in Indiana, was pointing it out to them!

I will let the members digest that picture of the "The Whistler" above a bit , because there is more to come

The following picture is not "The Whistler", but this kind of shows that people raced Studebakes off the floor just like Corvettes and the up and coming Mustangs and Cameros..

"The Whistler" was not a "would of - could of" thing. It and this car "Was" that thing!

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4301/35925068795_81e59884d9_c.jpg

Popping the hood for inspection is what I'm guessing.. But notice that li'old 60 next to it with its race paint on..

I blew up the door area so you could see it came from San Bernardino CA and was "Powered by Avanit"

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4319/35925069035_59a8f2da96_z.jpg

62champ
02-03-2014, 11:34 AM
I blew up the door area so you could see it came from San Bernardino CA and was "Powered by Avanit"

When my father and uncle were drag racing a '51 Starlight back in the late '60s/early '70s, they put those emblems below the vent doors. Dad said it got a lot of comments - even if they were only running a 232...

8E45E
02-03-2014, 01:11 PM
Bob,

Sorry for misstating your age at the time..:oops:

But Happy Early Birthday .. By the way.. mine is Feb 10th! The great Jimmy Durante and I share the same day, but he was born in 1893!

I for one am glad you decided to haul your good memories around and the vast discussions with guys like Tanner and Mendenhall..

I for one have been privileged to have received some of your correspondence with even Studebaker themselves. Telling Studebaker that offering a better selection of gear ratios would help them be more competitive at the tracks.. I was not like that at 17..

My 13 year old son, on the other hand is like that as well. He communicates with Video game makers telling them what he thinks is "cool" :cool:.

Unlike the leadership at Studebaker, they actually have take some of his suggestions.

Studebaker shut their eyes that there was an up and coming WAVE of "Muscle" cars coming and that they had a head start! I wonder if they ever kick themselves realizing that Bob Palma, a kid down the street in Indiana, was pointing it out to them!

I will let the members digest that picture of the "The Whistler" above a bit , because there is more to come

The following picture is not "The Whistler", but this kind of shows that people raced Studebakes off the floor just like Corvettes and the up and coming Mustangs and Cameros..

"The Whistler" was not a "would of - could of" thing. It and this car "Was" that thing!

http://i1286.photobucket.com/albums/a609/R2Whistler/TheWhistler/UnKnown63_zps20687c77.jpg

Popping the hood for inspection is what I'm guessing.. But notice that li'old 60 next to it with its race paint on..

http://i1286.photobucket.com/albums/a609/R2Whistler/TheWhistler/2-3-20149-35-19AM_zps8d97ac4c.jpg

Different car:http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?18088-Warren-and-Day-Studebaker&p=261468#post261468

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?25199-What-happened-to-Gordon-Williams-63-Lark-Drag-Car&highlight=williams+drag

Craig

2R2
02-03-2014, 01:22 PM
Please keep the photos and information coming! When I first saw the photo of the car Bob P. provided for an old issue of Jet Thrust News, I was hooked. This is onf of my favorite threads, but then again, I may be biased, as I own a factory R2 F-body '63, which came out of Arizona!

8E45E
02-03-2014, 01:36 PM
Please keep the photos and information coming! When I first saw the photo of the car Bob P. provided for an old issue of Jet Thrust News, I was hooked. This is onf of my favorite threads, but then again, I may be biased, as I own a factory R2 F-body '63, which came out of Arizona!

And we are all looking forward to the day when it will look at great as yours! http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?73346-What-Would-You-Do-With-This-R4-Engine&highlight=rose+2r2

Craig

BobPalma
02-03-2014, 02:29 PM
That we are, Craig; that we are....:D BP

StudeRich
02-03-2014, 04:23 PM
"I" Stock Formula 7 was the class I ran my Parkview and Dad's '64 Daytona in, it's the class that a 259 2 Brl. fits into. That is what is on the windshield of the '60 Lark next to Gordon William's '63 Lark Standard.
A Chrysler Hemi was in my class and I blew him off of the track, it was a 250 something cid Hemi 6!

studejohn
02-04-2014, 02:29 PM
Just wanted to thank Bob Palma for the start of great story so many years ago. And my friends Mike and Sabation for posting the present story of the Whistler and others for there great replays. The car brings me great joy as you will see in post to come. It's moving up the list of projects to be done. Thanks John Kroulik.

BobPalma
02-04-2014, 02:41 PM
You're welcome, John. Thanks for checking in. :D

The detailed photos you were kind enough to show me in Colorado Springs last summer verified that the car represents what would be an immediate parts car, and not many parts at that, if it wasn't historically significant. Thank goodness you guys were one [baby] step in front of the crusher, with your eyes open.

We're all waiting with baited breath (whatever that means; I've never figured it out) to watch the car be reborn. :!!: Please keep us posted. :cool: BP

BobPalma
02-04-2014, 02:47 PM
Hmmmm....'just thought of something here that will likely send Craig Parslow scrambling for his forum research tool box.

This Whistler thread is about to tip over 4,000 hits. We have several topics like Studebakers in Roadside Americana and Studebaker Dealerships and such that have many more hits than this topic will ever have, but do we have any other thread about one specific car that has had so many, or more, hits?

Tentatively, I don't think so. This may be a record.

Craig Parslow, Unofficial SDC Forum Archivist, what say you? :o BP

Lark Parker
02-04-2014, 03:18 PM
We're all waiting with baited breath (whatever that means; I've never figured it out) BP

I couldn't pass this one up since it came from BP.:D
It's bated -- not baited, and it means to hold the breath.
Ya gotta enjoy what you can find sometimes as the opportunities are few.:)

studegary
02-04-2014, 03:58 PM

I was going to let Bob P's item slip as I have been doing on many items on the Forum because by some I am seen as too critical. I have been trying to limit myself to Studebaker/SDC related corrections.
I believe that bated, as used here, doesn't mean to hold your breath, but rather very anxiously wait (somewhat similar). I agree with the main point that the word is bated, not baited.

SScopelli
02-04-2014, 03:59 PM
Hmmmm....'just thought of something here that will likely send Craig Parslow scrambling for his forum research tool box.

This Whistler thread is about to tip over 4,000 hits.

If you seen my post yesterday, I put a little tag there..

3,685.. Wow.

That was how many hit there were prior to me posting the new photos..

I think John is waiting to see how this project will come out before he lets me near The Whistler
Before
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4312/36160515786_0a865fdd8e_o.jpg

After
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4315/35809750280_aca2de00e0_o.jpg

4,038, really wow!

asesolen
02-04-2014, 04:13 PM
Just wanted to thank Bob Palma for the start of great story so many years ago. And my friends Mike and Sabation for posting the present story of the Whistler and others for there great replays. The car brings me great joy as you will see in post to come. It's moving up the list of projects to be done. Thanks John Kroulik.

John is right. If it wasn't for Bob Palma's original post, most of us wouldn't have known about "The Whistler". But with todays technology, even out in the middle of the desert, John was able to pull up Bob's original post and see photos of "The Whistler" in it's glory days. It was reminiscent of the movie "Back to the Future" when Marty McFly's time was slipping away and his photo started to fade. But here was John looking at a clear photo and the same car but faded just a little ;) from the Arizona sun. Not too often that one steps into that moment in time when history and the present meet.

BobPalma
02-04-2014, 05:01 PM

Great, Lark; thanks. Honestly, I never knew that. :woot:
'Off to the dictionary...:o BP

BobPalma
02-04-2014, 05:16 PM
The one remaining Whistler mystery is ascertaining the relationship between Studejohn (John Kroulik), SScopelli (Sebastian Scopellite), and asesolen (Mike Lynch). :o

They've all had their fingers inThe Whistler pie, but darned if I can 'figger out who's on first. (At least I think Studejohn is the legal owner and the car is in his possession...well, for the time being, that is...) ;) BP

Skinnys Garage
02-04-2014, 05:43 PM

This Whistler thread is about to tip over 4,000 hits. We have several topics like Studebakers in Roadside Americana and Studebaker Dealerships and such that have many more hits than this topic will ever have, but do we have any other thread about one specific car that has had so many, or more, hits?

Craig Parslow, Unofficial SDC Forum Archivist, what say you? :o BP
Well, I can think of a couple right off the top of my head......;)

My '60 Marshal thread is around 5300 hits so far and my '62 Lark project topped 9000.:cool:

8E45E
02-04-2014, 05:43 PM

Bob, I have no doubt in my mind you are correct, at least within the time frame. But as others have stated the '60 Marshal has more as the thread for it has been running for almost six years. And there are other posts here on the Forum where the Whistler is at least mentioned once: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?8149-STILL-No-Respect&highlight=tanner

Of course, it took its discovery to keep a thread alive on it.

Craig

8E45E
02-04-2014, 05:51 PM
Well, I can think of a couple right off the top of my head......;)

My '60 Marshal thread is around 5300 hits so far and my '62 Lark project topped 9000.:cool:

It will be most interesting to see how many viewers this thread gets after six years; especially if restoration starts on it and he keeps us as well informed as you have with your '60 Marshal. Of course, by then, viewers of your post will no doubt double by then.

Craig

Skinnys Garage
02-04-2014, 06:19 PM
It will be most interesting to see how many viewers this thread gets after six years; especially if restoration starts on it and he keeps us as well informed as you have with your '60 Marshal. Of course, by then, viewers of your post will no doubt double by then.

CraigI make sure to read all the Whistler posts, so I'll keep adding to the views!

Should mention though, that my 'New Member' thread turned into 'The Marshal' thread the same day it was posted, so to be accurate we need to add another 4000+ to the Marshal's total........;):cool:

studejohn
02-04-2014, 10:21 PM
I have just about over looked a big part of this story. That is the man that stored The Whistler all these years. Not knowing he was storing such car in his flock of Studebakers. The one and only Chuck Naugle he has been a big part of the discovery, if it wasn't for him there would be no story to read, as we are reading now. More on Chuck and The Whistler to come. John Kroulik

8E45E
02-04-2014, 10:28 PM
I have just about over looked a big part of this story. That is the man that stored The Whistler all these years. Not knowing he was storing such car in his flock of Studebakers. The one and only Chuck Naugle he has been a big part of the discovery, if it wasn't for him there would be no story to read, as we are reading now. More on Chuck and The Whistler to come. John Kroulik

I sure hope you with your "as found" photos and BP with his 1963 photos and correspondence can get together and do a story for Turning Wheels. And Muscle Car Review has a nice column titled 'Rare Finds' expressly for discoveries like this one. This would be VERY fitting, considering the January MCR was outstanding for performance Studebaker coverage.

Craig

BobPalma
02-04-2014, 10:29 PM

Great, John; 'looking forward to it. :D BP

BobPalma
02-04-2014, 10:30 PM
I sure hope you with your "as found" photos and BP with his 1963 photos and correspondence can get together and do a story for Turning Wheels. And Muscle Car Review has a nice column titled 'Rare Finds' expressly for discoveries like this one. This would be VERY fitting, considering the January MCR was outstanding for performance Studebaker coverage. Craig

Right on, Craig! :!:

I think we'll get Tom Shaw on that detail later this year, to kind of spread out the Studebaker exposure. :D BP

asesolen
02-05-2014, 01:59 PM
The one remaining Whistler mystery is ascertaining the relationship between Studejohn (John Kroulik), SScopelli (Sebastian Scopellite), and asesolen (Mike Lynch). :o

They've all had their fingers inThe Whistler pie, but darned if I can 'figger out who's on first. (At least I think Studejohn is the legal owner and the car is in his possession...well, for the time being, that is...) ;) BP

Bob, You are right. John Kroulik is the owner. And I've just been fortunate to be able to tag along on his Studebaker Adventures.

John and I have been friends for several years, we even call our wives Lucy and Ethel for all the trouble they can create. Anyway, when I was transferred to work in Tucson for a while, John drove down from Phoenix and we made a visit to the Studebaker legend, Chuck Naugle. It was a great time listening to Chuck's stories, getting to see 40 acres of Studebakers and his multi-car garage full of Studebakers, toys, trinkets, memorabilia etc etc. The best day of show and tell ever! After that, there were many times I would leave work in the afternoon and go visit Chuck. We would sit in his garage till after dark looking out at his huge collection of Studebakers surrounded by the beautiful high desert and share stories while Chuck sipped on his beverage of choice, Throwback Pepsi. Chuck has an unbelievable number of tales to tell. It would be nice to know how miles he put on that famous truck "Earl"; always loaded down with Studebakers and Studebaker parts. I enjoyed this for several more months before transferring back to Phoenix.

Since then John, Sebastian, myself and others have made frequent trips to visit Chuck. We always make sure to bring one of Chuck's favorite meals, which always include the farm boy's favorite green beans and plenty of Throwback Pepsi. It's always a great day of hearing new stories and wandering about this Studebaker holyland. It was on one of those trips that John set out in search an R series sedan. But he will have to tell the rest of that story.

One last thing I'll add. Many of you on the forum have seen the quality of work that Sebastian has completed on his Lark convertible but it was quite impressive to see him salvage a wiring harness from a Lark and adapt it to Chuck's '61 One Ton (an original 9 ft bed), known as "Sherman T". Great job Sebastian! Are you a brain surgeon, or a rocket scientist???

BobPalma
02-05-2014, 02:28 PM
Thanks, Mike.

Now where and when did "Seb" enter the picture? (Your report was kind of like reading a novel and all of a sudden, a new character appears with no explanation!) :ohmy::) BP

SScopelli
02-05-2014, 03:45 PM
Thanks, Mike.

Now where and when did "Seb" enter the picture? (Your report was kind of like reading a novel and all of a sudden, a new character appears with no explanation!) :ohmy::) BP

I met John around 2010, right before the National Meet in Phoenix through Dave T-Bow in MA. (Figure that sequence out)

In fixing up a Studebaker, its would be nearly impossible unless you know John or know the guy that John knows. So I'm sort of a parts junkie and John is on speed dial when I need a fix.

At some point, I think John got tired of hauling parts for me so he invited me on a treasure hunt so I could haul them myself. That's when I met Mike. When John told me it was at Chuck Nagel's place I was taken back.

I told them about the time, some 35 years ago, when Chuck stopped by my dad's place in Tucson and asked if he could rebuild a 4bbl carb for his 62 Champ Truck. While my dad and Chuck talked about politics, I got busy removing and rebuilding the carb.

So it was a great day doing a road trip, meeting old acquaintances, making new friends, and treasure hunting.

It's difficult to say how or why people become friends. Studebaker's might have been a catalyst, but I doubt its was enough for someone to become a friend and offer their help when you need it and for one's self be willing to pay it forward.

I've only bought one new car in my life, a 2002 Sequoia. All other, and there are and were many, were in need of fixing. It was unfortunate one day when my girlfriend asked, "Why do you like these old cars?" My reply was honest "I enjoy a challenge of fixing up old things that are in need of repair." Somehow she took that as a reference to our relationship and well you know..:whome:

John and Mike, are from my view, the same as they enjoy working on cars and having a challenge. Hence our involvement in the Whistler.. Hopefully they've seen my mistake and will never utter those words to a woman.:rolleyes:

BobPalma
02-05-2014, 04:27 PM
Cool beans, Seb; thanks.

It looks like all three of you guys had a hand in getting The Whistler identified and removed from its certain death. :!: More power to all of you, and good to have "met" you all, even though I've only met John in real life. 'Hope we all get together soon. :D BP

studejohn
02-05-2014, 09:04 PM
This is John's wife, "Ethel" (really...it's Lorilee, and just putting it out there that Lucy (Lisa) and I are the FARTHEST from creating trouble! :yeahright: Sometimes! (Although we do get really loud and wound up!) We really have a lot of fun together! We love that our hubbies hobbies bring them such joy and can count on BIG grins when they return from a visit with Chuck. Upon a late night return unloading, the men can often be caught rehashing the day in the darkness. (as if an all day excursion and 2 1/2 hour ride home was not enough) :rolleyes: Oh Boy! Their excitement is like watching kids in a candy store! As for The Whistler, a long-time friend located the original photographer from the track out at Beeline Drag Way. At 90 years "young", and still living in Arizona, he was able to access his collection and came up with a handful of never been seen photos of The Whistler" . Now, I'm sure that every wife has trouble finding the BEST gift for Christmas but I have to say, that with the help of our friend, I SCORED! Of course I wrapped each photo individually to stretch out the excitement. They will be posted soon I am told. It will be great to watch as this story continues to unfold! hanks for keeping it alive!

BobPalma
02-05-2014, 09:09 PM
This is John's wife, "Ethel."

As for The Whistler, a long-time friend located the original photographer from the track out at Beeline Drag Way. At 90 years "young", and still living in Arizona, he was able to access his collection and came up with a handful of never been seen photos of "The Whistler" . Now, I'm sure that every wife has trouble finding the BEST gift for Christmas but I have to say, that with the help of our friend, I SCORED! Of course I wrapped each photo individually to stretch out the excitement. They will be posted soon I am told. It will be great to watch as this story continues to unfold! hanks for keeping it alive!

Woo-hoo!

(OK, John; Christmas was six weeks ago: WHERE ARE THOSE PICTURES ?????):mad: BP

SScopelli
02-06-2014, 10:47 AM
Ah more pictures..

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4302/35925068835_e36fc44e85_c.jpg

This picture was taken in Nov. 1963. First note.. Its now called "The Whistler."

Notice both drivers.. Its like they are hugging the steering wheel so they can probably shift better.. or maybe some rule to lurch forward for safety..

Who knows..

This is Bob's original post picture.

The Impala and the Whistler had sporty white wall tires on the rear, while the 60 has them on the front. I guess the 60 Lark didn't get the memo..

But no one noticed a sticker on the instrument panel at the beginning of the post, so I'll make a comment on it..
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4294/36035362022_3a629070aa_o.jpg

it said, "Don't be caught dead sitting on your seat belt"

Was this a message from ADOT (Az Dept Of Transportation)?
No.. I do not think so..

More likely if you got caught not wearing your seat belt on the track, you were disqualified..

Bob Caser
02-06-2014, 12:35 PM
As for the whitewalls on the rear only. I'm betting they were "Atlas Bucron" tires that were known for the being sticky and were used by many stock class racers at the time.

asesolen
02-06-2014, 04:22 PM
John, looks like Lorilee did you right for Christmas!!!

11SecAvanti
02-06-2014, 08:05 PM
The 60 Lark hardtop is only 3/4 a car length behind at the finish. Not bad for a 259. The 62 Impala is showing the same gap. It is a 283 or 327? Looks like a GT Hawk is parked near the pole at the end.

BobPalma
02-06-2014, 09:44 PM
What Bob Caser said in Post #92; 'prolly so.

Tom (Post #94). I am sure these photos were both taken near the starting line, not finish line. Rarely are there bleachers and that many people parked at any drag strip's finish line. Near the starting line, the little '59 Lark could have been that close to The Whistler during the first 60-180 feet.

The photos were undoubtedly taken the same day, as evidenced by the Dodge pickup truck parked up to the spectator fence.

I don't profess to know the AHRA classifications de jour, but I'm betting the 1962 Impala is a 327. See the letter to me from Roy Mendenhall in the very first post that opened this thread. Roy says the Chevy (he writes Chevie!) is running A/S. I can't imagine a 283 running A/S in any sanctioning body.

Further, examining the original photo here with a magnifying glass clearly shows the checkered flags of a 327 emblem on the front fender, rather than the simple, unadorned "V" of a 283. ;)

Great photo, Seb; 'keep 'em coming! :!: BP

63t-cab
02-06-2014, 10:56 PM
Years ago I had 60s Hot Rod Mags, and I swear this picture was shown. as I remember the writing on the front fender,I don't have them any more so I can't check.

I'd like to point out something that has fascinated me since this thread began.

This thread is not only about "The Whistler", but something more.

Sure it was exciting to see the car removed from its ominous burial in the desert, but only because it had the telltale signs of it being a real "R" car. Until it was truly out in the open, only then could one see the worn off markings and the ghost it left behind in the paint, that this was a race car as well.

But lets go back to the end of 1963, when a young man named Bob Palma, took a clipping from a race magazine and wrote to the car dealer that was sponsoring a 63 "Blown" Lark drag car. The only reason he was able to write to "Ray Tanner Motor's" (some 1700 miles away) was because he searched out back issues of Studebaker news for the dealer's address.

What the..?

In today's age, we can do a Google search and have information like that at our fingertips in milliseconds. But in 1963?

Most grownups during 1963 didn't find much interest in life past the end of Main street in their own town, let alone an 18 year old during that time.

If you're not familiar with Bob Palma's letter to Tanner Motor's and the response Bob got back from Tanner Motor's, you can read it again by clicking on the post link below. You can hit the back button when you're done..

You might also want to note, that the picture Mr. Palma clipped out of his magazine, and the gloss photo that was returned, had some interesting updates between them. The one Bob clipped out looked like a fairly new car with stock disc brake rims, and had white shoe polish writing on the doors and fenders. Also note, no mention of being called "The Whistler."

This picture was taken in October of 1963, by J.R. Bloom while it was racing at "Bee Line" Drag Strip in Scottsdale Arizona, and note, No name..

http://i1286.photobucket.com/albums/a609/R2Whistler/TheWhistler/63_10_zps11ad3446.jpg

The Stickers with the Cross-hair on them is an Autolite sparkplugs one. The oval shaped one at the bottom of the window, second from the right is the Bee Line sticker..

http://i1286.photobucket.com/albums/a609/R2Whistler/TheWhistler/BeeLineDragway_zps3243734d.jpg

Yes, Full RACE.. It was a 300 degrees duration and .505" lift. Also the end of the Cam was stamped, "Hard Face" which may have been an indication that it was welded back up to regrind at the high lift. This cam would only be suited for short high reves like a drag race, opposed to stop and go traffic.

if you were to "Drive" this cam, it would seem like the car had no power.. That is because street driving is from 1k-3k RPM. This cam is for performance at the 4k-7K rpm range, especially at the end of the 1/4 mile where your RPMs are expected to be at max.

If you hit MAX RPMs from your engine at the end, it means you left noting behind.

3,685.. Wow.

StudeRich
02-06-2014, 11:41 PM
As for the whitewalls on the rear only. I'm betting they were "Atlas Bucron" tires that were known for the being sticky and were used by many stock class racers at the time.

Not likely, the flat sidewalls and square shoulders tell me those are Casler or M&H Racing Slicks, a little pricey, just about all Tire stores sold Retread copies for the CASO's, the Whistler and the Impala opted for the "Top of line" Whitewalls.

The stickiest Street Tires were the Atlas or Goodyear Butyl, those were like bubble Gum or erasers, I still have a set of 1963 Goodyears still on the original '56 Power Hawk wheels I put them on in 1963 they're on my (Dad's) '56 Hawk that he sold New.
I wonder if they still have 1963 low smog L.A. Air in them? :ohmy:

As far as I know we never had to run Street Tires at AHRA or NHRA Strips.
I guess the Muscle Car Drags are the only ones that do that for a reason.

SScopelli
02-07-2014, 12:41 AM
What Bob Caser said in Post #92; 'prolly so.

Tom (Post #94). I am sure these photos were both taken near the starting line, not finish line. Rarely are there bleachers and that many people parked at any drag strip's finish line. Near the starting line, the little '59 Lark could have been that close to The Whistler during the first 60-180 feet.

The photos were undoubtedly taken the same day, as evidenced by the Dodge pickup truck parked up to the spectator fence.

I don't profess to know the AHRA classifications de jour, but I'm betting the 1962 Impala is a 327. See the letter to me from Roy Mendenhall in the very first post that opened this thread. Roy says the Chevy (he writes Chevie!) is running A/S. I can't imagine a 283 running A/S in any sanctioning body.

Further, examining the original photo here with a magnifying glass clearly shows the checkered flags of a 327 emblem on the front fender, rather than the simple, unadorned "V" of a 283. ;)

Great photo, Seb; 'keep 'em coming! :!: BP

This photo might help show that the photos were taken close to the start line as the guy in the middle with the jacket is at the staging line. And the Bee Line Banner is in both shots.

http://tucsondragway.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/photo3.jpg

I also agree the race between the 60 Lark and the Impala were on the same day as proved by this die hard fan in the black shirt..

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4304/35925068605_1cb42dd3ed_o.jpg

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4330/35115868723_779a8b9cb5_o.jpg

BobPalma
02-07-2014, 06:48 AM
Years ago I had 60s Hot Rod Mags, and I swear this picture was shown. as I remember the writing on the front fender,I don't have them any more so I can't check.

Joe, I've long thought I remembered this photo being clipped from the old CARS magazine, but have never been able to find a copy, or any other documentation, so I may have clipped it from another magazine.

If it helps you remember where you saw it, I can tell you that the original clipping is on cheap, pulp-like, off-color newsprint, not the slicker, higher-quality paper used by Petersen Publishing in magazines such as Hot Rod. I have many period copies of Hot Rod from the early 1960s, and the paper they used was much better than the low-quality pulp on which that first Whistler photograph is printed.

I rarely see CARS magazines at Swap Meets, but when I do, I look through as many as I can, trying to find the copy in which I think The Whistler photo appeared. So far, no luck. :( BP

BobPalma
02-07-2014, 06:53 AM
Not likely, the flat sidewalls and square shoulders tell me those are Casler or M&H Racing Slicks, a little pricey, just about all Tire stores sold Retread copies for the CASO's, the Whistler and the Impala opted for the "Top of line" Whitewalls.

Upon further review, Rich, I tend to agree with your assessment. :D BP

JRoberts
02-07-2014, 07:28 AM
This is indeed a great thread. Some of the pictures here are also at the H.A.M.B.'s "NHRA Junior Stock" thread. It is a long one but if you are persistent you will find several Studebaker pictures. http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=201085&highlight=nhra+junior+stock

Bob Caser
02-07-2014, 11:41 AM
Upon further review, Rich, I tend to agree with your assessment. :D BP

There are several photos showing the "Whistler" in it's heyday. I am still of the opinion that the photo of it racing the 62 Chevy they are both running passenger tires. Casler slicks at the time were recaps and the supply of the new narrow whitewalls would have been limited for their production at the time.
I can do further diligence to find out when "cheater slicks " were alllowed in stock class racing. Beeline Raceway was a AHRA sanctioned track and had different rules than NHRA requirements. Attached are some photos of Atlas Bucron tires the choice of street racers of the time.

BobPalma
02-07-2014, 11:46 AM
There are several photos showing the "Whistler" in it's heyday. I am still of the opinion that the photo of it racing the 62 Chevy they are both running passenger tires. Casler slicks at the time were recaps and the supply of the new narrow whitewalls would have been limited for their production at the time.
I can do further diligence to find out when "cheater slicks " were alllowed in stock class racing. Beeline Raceway was a AHRA sanctioned track and had different rules than NHRA requirements. Attached are some photos of Atlas Bucron tires the choice of street racers of the time.

Good point, too, Bob; they were indeed the choice for the street. I remember handling those Bucrons in the course of working in a busy, full-service gas station, and they were soft and sticky.

Let us know what you're able to find out about cheater slicks at AHRA strips circa 1963. :) Thanks. :!: BP

SScopelli
02-07-2014, 12:55 PM
!
Lets say there will be no question as to which end of the track this picture was taken;)

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4301/35115869003_c8f300925e_c.jpg

Note the single collector drag pipe under the car. It was noted that there may have been trickery in how it was configured to help suck the exhaust out for that extra bit of power. Could it have made the noise that sounded like Whistle at high RPMs?

I posed this question in another thread, but it just died.

"How would you restore The Whistler?"

Ted's Tomato looks like a stock Studebaker that came off the deal's floor. Awesome!

The Whistler on the other hand was rode hard and put away wet.

If I were to guess, after one year it started racing it was looking like a car that not even the best refrigerator salesman in Alaska could sell.

* Field modification done with a can opener (Dull one at that).
* Banged up floor board from when the drive shaft twisted like a candy-cane until it came out of the transmission and beat the underside.

A race car oozing with character to some just not everyone's taste.

Look at it's picture. A single collector for the drag pipe under the right center of the car. Tubes bent everywhere coming from both sides of the car to that collector.

Square tubing traction bars welded from the rear axle spring plate to the frame, similar to the Tempest in Bob's post.

But not streetable..

I'm looking for honest opinions along the lines of
"Bone stock from the factory", to
"Patch it up and make it run ugly!"

junior
02-07-2014, 01:47 PM
!

I'm looking for honest opinions along the lines of
"Bone stock from the factory", to
"Patch it up and make it run ugly!"

...well since you asked, I'd be patching it up and running it ugly simply because the probability of doing a frame off restoration back to the height of it's heyday is a bucks-up and time consuming process, plus one would need a lot more documention to get every detail correct...patching it up on the other hand requires a little more free artistic, or should I say 'historical' licence, and a lot less money. Once running and rough, then you could restore to the level you see fit, and as your pocketbook allows you. I think restoring it to factory fresh is missing the point...pure stock, or what ever you wish to call it is not what this car is, or was all about. Bottom line, IMO, doing something with this car is far better than doing nothing. cheers, junior.

8E45E
02-07-2014, 01:59 PM
"How would you restore The Whistler?"

Same as the Tempest in the first post in this thread: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?46510-226K-eBay-63-LeMans-update&highlight=tempest+aluminum

Craig

2R2
02-07-2014, 05:11 PM
How would I restore it? I don't know if I would! I don't know if it has the original front clip or not which might impact my thoughts. I might try to re-assemble it, and leave all the patina in place. I fine it awsome to compare the "as found" condition of the car with period photos, but that is just me. If one was to take it to the next level, I would then restore it "as raced" warts and all.
The whistler I want to see is the car in the photos, NOT how it appeared on the showroom floor (and this is coming from someone who did restore my R2 to as-built condition).

sweetolbob
02-07-2014, 05:48 PM
Same as the Tempest in the first post in this thread: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?46510-226K-eBay-63-LeMans-update&highlight=tempest+aluminum

Craig

The Tempest was a "Factory" race car and I would expect it would look much like the restored version at the track. The Whistler was a private entry, much like the 55 Chebby we raced back in the day. Most stock class drag cars back then looked like 5 YO street drive cars with less than professional lettering and numbers. That's what I'd return it to. Just like the pictures show.

JMHO, Bob

studejohn
02-07-2014, 06:35 PM
Hay thanks for your input on how the car should be restored. As far as The Whistler being restored to it race ready look. I think thats the way I,m going for. As far as its original patina not much left of it inless you like all surface rust look? then just slap a engin in it and go. No its way to rough to do that.Theres way to much damge to the car from its days as a race car, better left in photos at this pointe .Drive shaft damge I can live with but they did a quick trany fix from the top side .Must have left there floor jack at home that day. Repairs were made but its ugly. You will see as new pix are posted.The roof has a hole in it for a CB antenna.No big deal ether but it looks like thay had a few Victey dance on it to.I think Bob Palma will agree on removing some of it Warts and starting over with new patina.He has seen the pix, as he says not much there. Keep the replys coming all is welcome . Thanks JOHN KROULIK

8E45E
02-07-2014, 07:16 PM
The Tempest was a "Factory" race car and I would expect it would look much like the restored version at the track. The Whistler was a private entry, much like the 55 Chebby we raced back in the day. Most stock class drag cars back then looked like 5 YO street drive cars with less than professional lettering and numbers. That's what I'd return it to. Just like the pictures show.

JMHO, Bob

This car was not a "5 YO street drive car with less than professional lettering and numbers." It was a serious entry by a seller of the product with professional lettering of his business prominently displayed on a brand new car. And Tanner Motors ordered it from the factory to go racing with. I look at Tanner Motors was to Studebaker as Royal Pontiac was to PMD.

Craig

Corvanti
02-07-2014, 07:17 PM
John, IMHO the "race ready look" is the way to go!:!:

looking forward to pics of your progress.:)

62champ
02-07-2014, 07:43 PM
Attached are some photos of Atlas Bucron tires the choice of street racers of the time.

My dad said the only problem with those Bucrons is that they did not make noise when they would spin on the pavement - but that did not happen much because they were so soft.

AKAchamptrucking
02-08-2014, 08:07 AM
Any updates on The Whistler? I would love to see a "day 2" restoration with all the lettering and race ready attitude! Restoring it to day 1 factory stock would be an injustice,like a picture of a Purple Heart war hero without his Purple Heart pinned on.

SN-60
02-09-2014, 09:00 AM

They very well could be. Atlas 'Bucrons', or Firestone 'Butylaires', (made with butyl synthetic rubber) gave really good traction on dry (or wet) pavement. They did wear out very fast though.

8E45E
02-10-2014, 01:51 PM
I think we'll get Tom Shaw on that detail later this year, to kind of spread out the Studebaker exposure.

After reading my "Hemi in the Barn" once more, perhaps Tom Cotter might want to also pick up on the story, and add it to his 'barn finds' book portfolio should he start another volume.

http://www.allbookstores.com/Tom-Cotter/author

Craig

SScopelli
02-11-2014, 09:29 AM
Well since Tuesday was a special day on the Mickey Mouse Club, Why not on the forum?

In Post #104 I had mentioned something about how hard the Whistler was run..

If I were to guess, after one year it started racing it was looking like a car that not even the best refrigerator salesman in Alaska could sell.

This picture was taken in March 1964. In examining this picture, One notices some extra markings on the rear quarters and some writing on the passenger window..
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4304/35925068215_a6c8c0f03b_c.jpg

Let me blow it up for you..

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4297/35115869043_b08c17fe6d_b.jpg

You can see faintly the shoe-polish written "For Sale" on the passenger's window.

What is nice also to note is how nice it does look on the out side. No digs or crunched fenders and the Tail lights are still on it.

For the Second Picture:

Interesting to find one with no driver in it, just parked..
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4327/35884231966_e5c88d49e3_c.jpg

I've also enlarged the area of the window with the stickers on it..
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4312/35925068675_fa09fc93cb_c.jpg

You can see the two Bee Line stickers, one under the STP, and the Race participant one on the Quarter..
Autolite spark plugs with the circle and cross hairs, and another Autolite on the lower right window..

The Tire sponsor is right above the lower right Autolite sticker and may answer which tires the Whistler ran..

Enjoy

asesolen
02-11-2014, 11:10 AM
Looks like Floyd Mendenhall is covered over too?

2R2
02-11-2014, 12:39 PM
Looks like it is wearing some chrome reverse wheels in the stationary photos, and lost the whitewalls. Still looks like it is in pretty good shape!

SScopelli
02-16-2014, 11:37 AM
The poll results are in and the clear decision was the discovery of "The Whistler"

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4296/35884232076_00c54aba52_c.jpg

One last look as Floyd battles The Whistler on at a night time drag race.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4330/35536634930_4009df45b1_c.jpg

Look for future post to be of parts gathering and rebuilding..

6,853 6/17/14

BobPalma
02-16-2014, 04:12 PM
:!: Great, Seb. :D We are waiting with bated breath. :cool: BP

studejohn
02-19-2014, 10:04 PM
Thanks all for your vote. I never thought that it would ever come to this, Great! As for The Whistler's moving up in the list of cars, its close to the top. I'm right in the middle of a restoration, a 1958 1 Ton 9ft bed truck, and I'm also working with my son on his 1958 Packard Hawk. Other projects are in the fire such as a 1931 Commander Coupe and what used to be my daily driver, a 63 GT Hawk, my first car at age 14 and now pushing 49 years young. Like I said in other posts, time and money. Thanks for your input on how the car should be restored. I think it will cost a lot less being restored as the Whistler hay day and not a point car. Yes the restoration is some were between the truck and the Packard. With my good friend's help Mike Lynch and Sabation Scopelli, it will eventually get there.
Thanks -John Kroulik

8E45E
02-19-2014, 10:31 PM
Yes, thanks to all who took the time to vote. Clearly, the discovery of The Whistler was the top Studebaker news story of 2013. At first I had no intentions of making it a poll, but thanks to BP and Sebastian, just for fun, I ended up starting it with the four potential top news items for last year. As previously noted, The Whistler ended with nearly 50% of the votes, though for the first week or two, it was tight race with the other news item being the 50th Anniversary of the shutdown in South Bend. The significance of The Whistler's discovery has now been proven, and indeed, we are all looking forward to seeing its restoration as time goes on. Thanks again to all who participated!

Craig

BobPalma
02-20-2014, 06:59 AM
Well stated, Craig.

It looks like The Good News (The Whistler being discovered and rescued, with the original engine block) :D won out over The Bad News (50 years since Studebaker closed in South Bend):(.

That's a good "Good News / Bad News" scenario, for sure. :!: BP

BTW: John, Mike, and Seb: I concur, restore it as the race car; the icon it was....and again can and will be. There were 59 1963 R2/4-speed Regal 2-doors built, but only one of them was The Whistler. :D

SScopelli
07-19-2014, 12:26 PM
Wow!
Mike called me this Morning and said he thinks he found a video of "The Whistler" at the drags onYouTube..

At 3:59 "The Whistler", with a Win Light!

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4309/35925069105_e7bf47555d_z.jpg (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsceGtevg6c&feature=youtu.be&t=237s)

At 4:26 The black 60 Lark

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4298/35115869133_d4ea7d9285_z.jpg (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsceGtevg6c&feature=youtu.be&t=264s)

At 8:00, "The Whistler"

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4299/35925069175_391ce66de1_z.jpg (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsceGtevg6c&feature=youtu.be&t=478s)

Here is the YouTube Video..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsceGtevg6c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsceGtevg6c
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PeyndbFO5tU

(7,001)

2R2
07-20-2014, 08:50 AM
Seb,

thanks for posting! I've already watched them a couple of times, and want to look at them again later on a monitor. Hopefully someday the Whistler will ride again!

Eric

SScopelli
07-28-2014, 11:31 AM
Not The Whistler, but Studebaker related..

A 63 Daytona at 2:20:
Click on pictures..

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4297/35884272826_51152338d2_z.jpg (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UKPz-Fa-XQ&feature=youtu.be&t=140s)

A 53 at 7:11:
Click on pictures..

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4297/35085313944_383348bcbd_z.jpg (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UKPz-Fa-XQ&feature=youtu.be&t=429s)

The Daytona again at 7:44, He must have won the race at 2:20!:
Click on pictures..

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4301/35536667810_47c04f552f_z.jpg (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UKPz-Fa-XQ&feature=youtu.be&t=460s)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UKPz-Fa-XQ

Direct link ==> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UKPz-Fa-XQ

(7,447)
(7,899)

BobPalma
07-28-2014, 12:13 PM
Cool, Seb;

I finally got around to watching the video in Post #124. I think the fellow writing the current-day captions that were stripped in from time to time could get a job in Washington DC rewriting history!

I say that because, at about 8:52, he says the "Chevy is no match for the Dodge Hemi." That was indeed a 1963(?) Dodge in the right lane, but it couldn't have been a Hemi unless it was an old 331/354/392 from 1951-1958 (or an even smaller Dodge hemi from those years). It was probably a 426 Max Wedge like this, since Ma MoPar wouldn't introduce the second-generation 426 hemi for a couple more years:

http://i571.photobucket.com/albums/ss155/BobPalma/DSCF5415_zpsccbeb3a6.jpg (http://s571.photobucket.com/user/BobPalma/media/DSCF5415_zpsccbeb3a6.jpg.html)

Nice footage of The Whistler, for sure. 'Glad this footage survived and The Whistler was called out on the screen.

Thanks for the post(s), Seb. :!: BP

SScopelli
10-09-2014, 04:11 PM
Great job on securing that nice R1 car Sebastian. As you the new Owner it will be a nice car. A green on green car must have nick name for it . Maybe The Green Machine ! Or The Green Hornet. It should carry great graphics on the side just like The Whistler. Maybe we should have a race Against each other to see who can get their cars done first! That would be a kick. The Whistler may have its advantages given its Pedigree R2 Engine. LOL. :-)

Looks like John was not kidding..

A little taunting sending me Pics of the Whistlers's disassemble..

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4304/35987223995_7cce359535.jpg

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4297/35598241230_2427afd43f.jpg

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4292/35816456132_8f5d7b0efc.jpg

I'm thinking "Wall Art" for the man cave..

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4317/35598241160_1590ea2ba8.jpg

I guess I better dunk in the tub of mosquito repellent and get busy on "Hulk Smash"
(8,174)

2R2
10-09-2014, 05:49 PM
Seb, thanks for the update on the Whistler, I was curious how the car was coming along.
Boy, those floor sure look solid! Please get some more photos from John, as well as addional pictures of your '63!

BobPalma
10-09-2014, 06:02 PM
:!: Thanks for the report, Seb; good news on The Whistler.

(Say, has the swelling in your head gone down since Hemmings Muscle Machines came out?) ;) ;) :cool: BP

57pack
10-09-2014, 06:20 PM
The Whistler just needs a little "Signal go further gasoline":rolleyes:

SScopelli
10-09-2014, 08:46 PM
:!: Thanks for the report, Seb; good news on The Whistler.

(Say, has the swelling in your head gone down since Hemmings Muscle Machines came out?) ;) ;) :cool: BP

Why fame has not changed me at all Bob..:cool:

Hold on..

Another Martini my dear..

Ok, back again..:!:

The floors and body is very solid on the Whistler. I believe that is due to it was a "Track" car and seen very little "Daily Driver" use.

There are a few race track modifications to the floor that may just stay there as well.

The rear quarters are off already? :eek:
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4309/35816456212_041c9ece19_o.jpg

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4327/35598241450_3748ef7406_o.jpg

Don't worry, I have my come back strategy..:yeahright:

SScopelli
10-20-2014, 11:55 AM
In several post it was mention that the Transmission Tunnel had a "Race Track" modification done to it.

In this photo it shows that an attempt was made to conceal this alteration since maybe it was no longer a Track Car..

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4316/35854735801_703576f9d6_o.jpg

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4319/35598241630_da51b0f993_o.jpg

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4306/35816456322_b884c817dd_o.jpg

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4320/35816456282_f2a9e14170_o.jpg

From the outside, it is fairly obvious that someone was attempting a weld up job on the tunnel..
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4330/35854736351_8b83f38a13_o.jpg

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4317/35598242130_0a8eca0271_o.jpg

A bit of scraping and chiseling was required to remove the tar, bondo, and bubble gum surrounding the modification.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4330/35598242060_2b7139921a_o.jpg

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4329/35854736081_5a4281b9d1_o.jpg

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4295/35854736291_f3903527d6_o.jpg

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4317/35854736001_a24ed56391_o.jpg

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4302/35598241920_8135e0de0a_o.jpg

The screws on the back side indicate this may have been done so repeated access could be had to the transmission or bell housing for a clutch adjustment..

With all the gunk removed, It easily lifts up and can be screwed back down again..
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4303/35598242190_8e6b0d50e0_o.jpg

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4326/35854736521_0c3596c59c_o.jpg

Forget your welder at home? No problem, Just cut the socket end off of your extension cord, expose some wire, plug into a 110 outlet and weld away..
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4309/35598242280_08a04b1f71_o.jpg

Seriously, this welding job does not look like stick, or MIG or even gas, but just raw metal fusion..

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4292/35854736581_c921b1df03_o.jpg
Completly removed, gives full access to the bell housing and transmissions linkages..

A good selection of panels to reconstruct the tunnel
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4308/35598242420_086e553379_o.jpg

Any repairs to the floors will be done while the car is on the frame. The firewall portion and tunnel from a donor will be use to replace all this metal and remove the topside accessibility after proper planing, layout and cutting.

After the flooring is complete, the body will be removed and the frame repaired.

More on that later..

2R2
10-20-2014, 12:36 PM
Seb,

Thanks for the photos of the trans tunnel. I have to admit, I a removable hump tunnel would have been rather helpful when I rebuilt my engine and clutch - I had to yank the trans out three times to get everything working correctly!

Keep the photos coming - curious to see what other race modifications the care had.

jts359
10-20-2014, 05:11 PM
I saw something like that floor over 40 years ago where a clutch exploded on a 427 Chebby !, Ed

studejohn
10-24-2014, 02:57 PM
Yes slowly coming along with the project As you can see they must have had to done the botched repair in the back Chicken coop as it shows buy the chicken poop welds. All fun aside they must of been under the gun to do what ever repairs needed on the Clutch or transmission? Most likely trying to keep there points standing for Winter nationals title. Hang in there all. Thanks John Kroulik. Oh ya Sebastian how's the Green Crunch coming As you may not know I challenge him to get his car restored at the same time. Thank for posting pix for me Sab and buy parts for me.

SScopelli
11-05-2014, 01:48 PM
A big thanks to Nelson on coming out to Phoenix and visiting John and Mike, and of course "The Whistler" and the Green Mist..

I apologize to Nelson I was not able to make it as I was 140 miles south helping out another Studebaker family..

<=== See

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4325/35884272736_a1dc491f4b_o.jpg

studejohn
11-06-2014, 08:58 PM
Thanks Sebastian. You almost got it right but Mike wasn't there. Nelson and Keith Graham. Had a great time talking and showing them what's going on with The Whistler. John Kroulik

nels
11-06-2014, 10:56 PM
Right now I'm sitting in the Phoenix airport waiting for the red eye flight back to Cincinnati. Sebastian and John both have big projects in front of them but both are very worth while endeavors. It will be fun to see who finishes first.
If you look close you will see a set of nos Avanti turquoise seat belts I got from John. They will look great in the 64 Avanti project I'm starting.
Great time, John, I appreciate it. Maybe I'll catch you next time, Sebastian.

BobPalma
11-07-2014, 07:03 AM
:o Post 137: I'm working on understanding the significance of Nels being in the shadows. ;););) :cool: BP

8E45E
11-07-2014, 07:45 AM
:o Post 137: I'm working on understanding the significance of Nels being in the shadows. ;););) :cool: BP

The significance is how much nicer the weather is there!! Here, the leaves have fallen weeks ago!

Incidently, his this thread made the record for the number of viewers for one single car yet?

Craig

SScopelli
06-01-2015, 11:40 AM
Well, Time to hit this post again...

Some time ago I was ribbing John about the Whistler's mother..
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4291/35925068955_aab79a4341.jpg

Well, I think I may have found it..

Here is a Blue Mist 63 Daytona that was rescued from the occasional Rock Throwing Practice..
This time I didn't need a build sheet to see it was a
289 4bbl, Dual Exhaust
3spd auto,
Twin Track,
Bucket Seats
L/R Mirrors
F/R Seat belts
Bumper wings
Pwr Disk Brakes,
Oh yes, Under coating..

This car came from Chuck's place. It was quite a day for him to get out of the house away from physical therapy and get some real Studebaker therapy.
While stopped at the gas station filling up, a guy got out of the his car, correctly identified it as a Studebaker, and asked me, "You must really like cars don't you?" I just replied, "Yes, doesn't everybody.."
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4291/35115868653_433c28cd30.jpg10873

BobPalma
06-01-2015, 11:49 AM
:!: 'Looking good, Seb; cool beans. :) ;) :cool: BP

allstateguy
06-01-2015, 05:45 PM
from the makeup around the eyes, maybe it was Alice Cooper's car at one time . . .

very good to hear that Chuck can be involved in this kind of fun.

58PackardWagon
06-01-2015, 09:47 PM
63 2 door Custom....you might not want to remove the stainless around you door window frames....they are impossible to get back on without damaging. Good luck with your restoration.

r1lark
06-02-2015, 05:20 AM
63 2 door Custom....you might not want to remove the stainless around you door window frames....they are impossible to get back on without damaging. Good luck with your restoration.

2 door '63 Customs are cool! But this one looks more like a hardtop, at least to me.

Jessie J.
06-02-2015, 11:00 AM
Given the Whistlers racing history, and the possibility of future drag strip engagements, I would suggest restoring making the replacement trans tunnel easily removable. Not so hacked and crude, but with a solid drilled and tapped flange welded in place. It will be out of sight under carpet, and when it comes time for repair or maintenance you will never regret it.
And hey, this racing modification is an integral documented part of this particular vehicle's racing history and an asset of historical significance.
Be a crying shame to restore that tunnel to 'factory stock' again. Just my personal opinion.

studegary
06-02-2015, 01:58 PM

To me, it looks like neither a two door sedan nor a Custom model. On my screen, it appears to be a Daytona two door hardtop.

SScopelli
06-02-2015, 09:20 PM
Huh? :confused:

As I noted, it is a 63 Daytona, which I believe only came in the "Hard Top" body.

I only called it the Whistler's Mother because its true color is Blue Mist, which is the color of the real "The Whistler," and by chance was found in Chuck's preserve as well.

She is not an R car by any means..

Sorry for any confusion..

8E45E
06-02-2015, 10:44 PM
As I noted, it is a 63 Daytona, which I believe only came in the "Hard Top" body.

That is correct in that there was no 'F' body 2 door sedan available in the Daytona line until the 1965 model year. However, a convertible and station wagon were also available in Daytona trim for 1963 besides the hardtop.

Craig

SScopelli
06-19-2015, 01:53 PM
When last visit of "The Whistler," it was in serious need of some floor repair...

From this view it looked ok,

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4320/35816456282_7193c86bc6.jpg

But after digging out the tar, bondo and JB Weld, the Track Modification became fairly obvious.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4292/35854736581_14df2d1648.jpg

Plus some corrosive rust damage..

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4330/35598242630_086e553379.jpg

John made a template of where he wanted to surgically remove the old pan. Also cuts were made as to keep some of the original mount doublers, so a few spot welds needed to be removed..

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4320/35854739561_cf75664163.jpg

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4316/35987223815_8a3576db4f_o.jpg

After removing the spot welds on the sil plates and rockers, the floor was ready to remove..

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4310/35854739581_526e9c12c9.jpg

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4313/35854739721_32ec057ce0.jpg

Floor completely removed..
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4319/35987223665_0065389d07_o.jpg

The donor floor came from a 4 door 4-speed, and was trimmed up per the template.
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4311/35987223615_7dca51c2e6_o.jpg

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4301/35854734391_cb6d36ebf9_o.jpg

The donor floor is now installed for final fitting..
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4312/35854739491_479f5442a6_o.jpg

Next comes the Welding..

SScopelli
06-19-2015, 06:43 PM
Some more fitting of the two floor pans..

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4292/35854734611_531dc04d0d_o.jpg

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4324/35987223885_4837dd52d9_o.jpg

And the welding begings..
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4293/35987223685_4236a8198b_o.jpg

This is John's Son Colton..

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4328/35987223735_199769533d_o.jpg

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4295/35816455832_c9562ed8b8_o.jpg

SScopelli
06-20-2015, 03:51 PM
The last pieces were fitted and tac welded in..

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4321/35854739251_fbe52cf187_o.jpg

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4291/35854739331_0008edd492_o.jpg

Looks like the The Whistler will have a solid floor again..

If you notice by the tip of the claw of the hammer, you can see the original frame doubler was re-tacked to the new floor pan...

Not bad for a weeks worth of work..:cool:

BobPalma
06-20-2015, 03:56 PM
:!: Very nice, Seb; thanks for the update. Now, tell Colton to wear long pants and a proper welding a shirt before he gets seriously burned with unexpected spatter. (This is the former Industrial Arts teacher speaking here....) ;) :cool: BP

DieselJim
06-20-2015, 05:27 PM
I was thinking of arc burn, as painful as sun burn. Speaking from experience.

studejohn
06-21-2015, 09:54 AM
Thank you Sab for posting the pix. Happy Fathers Day to all. My son has been a vary big help on the car. His welding skills have come a long ways. But our life safety needs work , thanks for pointing that out Bob. Will work on that. The repairs are just about done . Next Chemical dip for the body and then comes Eitching primer Rust prevention and seam filler for the body . Wish me Luck. Thanks John

52-fan
06-21-2015, 03:23 PM
:!: Very nice, Seb; thanks for the update. Now, tell Colton to wear long pants and a proper welding a shirt before he gets seriously burned with unexpected spatter. (This is the former Industrial Arts teacher speaking here....) ;) :cool: BP

I was thinking the same thing. BTW Bob, I didn't know that you were a former IA teacher too.

rkapteyn
06-21-2015, 04:09 PM
Studebaker often used the "I" instead of the "1".
Rumor is that the "1" stamp was lost.
It was a special size steel stamp and I do not know if anyone
reproduced the type.

Robert Kapteyn

rkapteyn
06-21-2015, 04:19 PM
It was a special size steel stamp and I do not know if anyone reproduced the type.

Robert Kapteyn

studegary
06-21-2015, 04:41 PM
It was a special size steel stamp and I do not know if anyone
reproduced the type.

Robert Kapteyn

I think that it started from keeping the number of dies down (6/9) and earlier typewriters, even IBM electric ones, did not have a 1 (one) key, as we now have on more modern typewriters and of course on computer keyboards. It was common practice to use the l (lower case L) for a 1 (one). For the generation prior to ours, an I (upper case i) was used for a 1 (one).

6hk71400
06-22-2015, 06:50 PM
John, I remember when Colton won the Studebaker Jr wagon replica in a Zone meet in Phoenix many years ago. Does he still have it? It was my pleasure to play the piano after dinner that night and Karen Mensing yelled Yippee when Colton's name was drawn.

Bob Miles
Tucson Az

studejohn
06-23-2015, 08:04 AM
Yes Bob he still has it. Will post pix for ya soon.

55 56 PREZ 4D
06-23-2015, 12:50 PM
I think that it started from keeping the number of dies down (6/9) and earlier typewriters, even IBM electric ones, did not have a 1 (one) key, as we now have on more modern typewriters and of course on computer keyboards. It was common practice to use the l (lower case L) for a 1 (one). For the generation prior to ours, an I (upper case i) was used for a 1 (one).
Very interesting. I just got through looking at images of vintage typewriters. [due to this post]
No number "1".
Pretty much explains the "I" used by Studebaker.
Thank You.

DEEPNHOCK
06-23-2015, 02:53 PM
Yeppers...
Just burned my neck (T-shirt v neck) and my right armpit (sleeve droop) last weekend...
Pretty good 1st degree burn.
Just above the long glove top and just under the helmet... TIG burn...

I was thinking of arc burn, as painful as sun burn. Speaking from experience.

asesolen
06-24-2015, 12:32 PM
John, I remember when Colton won the Studebaker Jr wagon replica in a Zone meet in Phoenix many years ago. Does he still have it? It was my pleasure to play the piano after dinner that night and Karen Mensing yelled Yippee when Colton's name was drawn.

Bob Miles
Tucson Az

Here's a photo of Kolton sitting in that "Studebaker Jr" wagon.

I don't know but wonder if he was thinking, "What good is a goat wagon if you don't have a goat to pull it?"

http://i1296.photobucket.com/albums/ag8/asesolen/Kolton%20wagon2_zpsl1b335n4.jpg

Kolton and his sister Makenna enjoying another Studebaker meet from inside the wagon.

And how about those overalls? Must have come from "The Inventor of Studebaker" and the Founder of the "Studebaker Truck Farmers", Chuck Naugle!

Hee-Haw!

http://i1296.photobucket.com/albums/ag8/asesolen/Kolton%20wagon%201_zpskelwvixy.jpg?1435158966632&1435158973334&1435158974298

And here he is today... wearing the exact same smile!

Life is good when you have lots of Studebaker Adventures!

http://i1296.photobucket.com/albums/ag8/asesolen/Kolton%20wagon4_zps4oxyfu5m.jpg

SScopelli
08-05-2015, 10:53 AM
With the floor all done, time to remover the frame...

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4325/35598243010_63894da387_o.jpg

Time to rid it of undercoating.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4314/35816457072_57e562f188_o.jpg

Now all this contraption needs is a piece of cheese to attract the next rodent.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4304/35598242740_e31109bc33_o.jpg

Spiffy clean, and the welds look great from the bottom as well..

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4311/35854737111_29f4908871_o.jpg

Ready to go to the strip joint,

uh,

I mean strip tank to get it down to bare metal.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4326/35816457032_d2048bcdf0_o.jpg

BobPalma
08-05-2015, 02:26 PM
:!: Great, guys; thanks for the continuing reports. :cool: BP

55 56 PREZ 4D
08-05-2015, 03:46 PM
The pictures show the cuts and welds at the back of the floor.
How much of the donor floor was used at the front ?

studejohn
08-05-2015, 04:52 PM
The hole floor and fire wall was replaced. So 95% of the welding was in the rear. Rust damage and drive shaft damage. The original rocker panels were saved. Just two welds up front . Thanks for asking. John

StudeRich
08-05-2015, 04:54 PM
The pictures show the cuts and welds at the back of the floor.
How much of the donor floor was used at the front ?

Go to Page 4 of this string for better Pics of the front floor.

55 56 PREZ 4D
08-07-2015, 01:15 AM
Go to Page 4 of this string for better Pics of the front floor.

Yes, before posting I did go to Page 4. That's why I posted.
Page 4
Post 133, Picture 1:
rust on door post around light switch.
heavy rust on A pillar from top to bottom.
rust under cowl all the way across.
Post 152, Picture 5:
blue paint on A pillar.
light rust under cowl.
Then on to Page 5.
Post 166, Picture 3:
no rust around light switch at door post.
at A pillar-blue paint 2/3 of the way up, then rust.
Post 166, picture 5:
clearer view of left A pillar at his left hand.
a clear view of the right side A pillar, blue 2/3 up then rust.
Is that clean metal just below his left hand ?

SScopelli
08-10-2015, 02:13 PM
If you take a bit of a closer look at an original picture, you can see the makings of a primitive traction bar...

This one mounts at the rear body mount by the front spring bolt..
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4327/35854739191_a0cebc50b8_o.jpg

This one is mid-frame
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4301/35598243110_4075f3d4bb_o.jpg

While this helped in the ETs, it left a world of hurt on the frame..

Note the ones from the pictures with one at the rear body support by the front spring bracket, and the other about mid frame..

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4302/35598243290_11ce77ab16_o.jpg

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4302/35598244130_2a96264670_o.jpg

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4327/35598243770_6cbb63b3b8_o.jpg

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4330/35854738191_26c4017d45_o.jpg

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4295/35854738451_dd9567a706_o.jpg

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4320/35854739061_8f1c9b6551_o.jpg

Also some remnants of serious track abuse...

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4320/35854738311_bd2d6d4bea_o.jpg

After some talk back and forth it was decided to repair the frame and remove the mid body mounts, of which only the clumpy welds of the bracket remained, while leaving the front spring mounts in tact.

While it will be a restore, it should be able to keep some of its track legends and scars.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4322/35598244220_6796c68ee5_o.jpg

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4299/35854738901_359765b5a0_o.jpg

The removed parts can be kept as wall art in the garage!

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4293/35854739101_4ed79a7e04_o.jpg13798

SScopelli
08-25-2015, 08:05 PM
A color photo of a 63 Regal body ready to be painted..

Well, almost ready..

I hope all are home safe and in good spirits after the meet in St. Louis!

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4308/35115445333_6ba477ab39_n.jpg

All the paint, seam sealer and undercoating is gone..

Bare metal..

You have to look hard to see the floor repair..

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4292/35754621922_fce307f6db_n.jpg

One more session and it should be clean all around..

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4314/35754621772_a180934840_n.jpg

BobPalma
08-25-2015, 08:19 PM
:!: Cool beans, Seb; that is impressive.

The floor repair isn't at all apparent and looks very good. Seriously. :) :cool: BP

studejohn
08-31-2015, 04:15 PM
Thank you Sabation for posting pix for me and thanks all who are posting along with it. This is for 55 56 Prez 4dr thanks for showing so much interest. Post 166 bottom pix in the posting right about the area were my hands resting is were the cuts were made in the front and rewelded though out the post itself and then cap and welded. I will see if Sab will post the pix.The frame is under repair removed some traction bar mount from former race days .To much frame damage to leave there .But will leave one set on the spring purchase for Whistler history . There were 3 sets welded to the frame . There welding skills were Stone Age type welds. I'm pick up the body this week from the shop that is Vatting it. Its been there three weeks now. Should be shinny as new penny though out the body. It's a long process. Not the stuff they used to use. E P A has something to do with that . Thanks John

gordr
09-01-2015, 01:29 AM
Hey! I am in Apache Junction right now, and would love to come see this car, if you are up for visitors from the Great White North. Shoot me a private message via the Forum if you wish.

2R2
09-01-2015, 04:41 PM
John, sorry if you answered this already - in what form are you going to bring the car back in, as raced, complete with the lettering on the side, or factory stock?

One of my favorite Larks - I have a picture of the Whistler hanging here in my office!

studejohn
09-02-2015, 10:37 AM
It's going back to Ray Tanner race ready. The Whistler with all its lettering on the side. Should I put you on the list of guys that would like to drive down the track some day ? Not that there's a list but I sure can start one. Thanks John

asesolen
09-02-2015, 10:46 AM
It's going back to Ray Tanner race ready. The Whistler with all its lettering on the side. Should I put you on the list of guys that would like to drive down the track some day ? Not that there's a list but I sure can start one. Thanks John

Hey John, Let the record show that I want to be on that list!

6hk71400
09-04-2015, 10:48 PM
I would be happy to ride in the back seat! Sign me up as first in the back seat!

Bob Miles
Tucson AZ

studejohn
09-05-2015, 12:17 AM
Ok Bob I will start a back seat list just for you. It may just help et times to have counter weight in the back seat.

6hk71400
09-26-2015, 04:58 PM
John, any update on the progress? Knowing the challenges involved with day to day activities if you can let us know where things are.

Thanks
Bob Miles
Tucson AZ

SScopelli
09-27-2015, 11:59 PM
Progress Progress, Progress..

Brought the body back from the strippers and it is looking great.
The body will be getting a good coat of epoxy primer next after some stubborn body putty is removed

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4305/35754621312_00c4fbb0a5_o.jpg

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4293/35536281530_4e3befa768_o.jpg

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4294/35115444883_edd114d9a7_o.jpg

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4299/35754621192_c0f7ff80dd_o.jpg

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4295/35536281450_2ddfd1a20c_o.jpg

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4310/35115444913_e961d7bf0d_o.jpg

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4328/35754620992_e32391de54_o.jpg

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4310/35115444803_9f825655df_o.jpg

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4308/35536281340_c5f5874449_o.jpg

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4265/35754620852_5d168ece58_o.jpg

BobPalma
09-28-2015, 08:59 AM
:!: :!: 'Looking good, guys; thanks for the update(s). :cool: BP

studejohn
09-29-2015, 12:30 AM
Ok I have removed all the caulking and tar from the gaps and holes . Funny to see all that the calking covered up. I have pressure washed it to get all the chemicals acids out of the seems. I was surprise to see all the junk that came out of the body and all its hidden pockets and there are a few of them. After the wash it became a orangee rust haze. In the process of wiping it all away for it New coat of armor. More pix to come. Thanks John Kroulik

asesolen
10-02-2015, 05:39 PM
You never know who you're going to see getting in on the action... John must have a bit of Tom Sawyer in him, he makes working on the Whistler look like so much fun that first his wife Lorilee jumped in and then his daughter Makenna and her friend decided to help too. Way to go John! A true family effort. (And just in case you missed it above, John's son Kolton has done all the welding.)

http://i1296.photobucket.com/albums/ag8/asesolen/IMG_0861_zpsa00nrske.jpg (http://s1296.photobucket.com/user/asesolen/media/IMG_0861_zpsa00nrske.jpg.html)

~[URL=http://s1296.photobucket.com/user/asesolen/media/IMG_0866_zpsw4rixn77.jpg.html]http://i1296.photobucket.com/albums/ag8/asesolen/IMG_0866_zpsw4rixn77.jpg[/URL

- - - Updated - - -

TWChamp
10-02-2015, 08:50 PM
You never know who you're going to see getting in on the action... John must have a bit of Tom Sawyer in him, he makes working on the Whistler look like so much fun that first his wife Lorilee jumped in and then his daughter Makenna and her friend decided to help too. Way to go John! A true family effort. (And just in case you missed it above, John's son Kolton has done all the welding.)

http://i1296.photobucket.com/albums/ag8/asesolen/IMG_0861_zpsa00nrske.jpg (http://s1296.photobucket.com/user/asesolen/media/IMG_0861_zpsa00nrske.jpg.html)

~[URL=http://s1296.photobucket.com/user/asesolen/media/IMG_0866_zpsw4rixn77.jpg.html]http://i1296.photobucket.com/albums/ag8/asesolen/IMG_0866_zpsw4rixn77.jpg[/URL

- - - Updated - - -

Am I correct that your wife and the girls are removing rust?
What are they using to do the job?
It sure looks good .

studejohn
10-05-2015, 05:14 PM
Yes they are removing the flash rust. Metel prep that you get from your paint store.Most just wipes off with a rag and there also removing left over tar from cracks and seems with a round wire brush in a drill chuck.Its not the funnest job but I got a few hours out of them. Thanks for asking.

kurtruk
10-05-2015, 10:41 PM
I'm not a safety Nazi, but I sure would like to see them wearing safety goggles while using a wire brush in a drill.

studejohn
10-05-2015, 11:46 PM
Your on it.No safety glass off to Harbor freight tomorrow and load up on some more. Now if I can keep the dogs from thinking there chew toys for them. Good thing there one less then a 1/8 mile away. Thanks John

tman1912
10-13-2015, 05:29 AM
where did you get the body stripped and does it remove rust? Thanks Terry

6hk71400
10-13-2015, 05:25 PM
I too would prefer stripping the paint rather than sand blasting and risk panels being warped.

Bob Miles
Tucson AZ

studejohn
10-13-2015, 11:18 PM
Yes this process removes most all rust and paint. My car had heavy surface rust from sitting out in the elements. And now its clean bare metal. I'm not sure how it will do with other kinds of rust like salt and distorted body panels do to rust damage. Just keep in mind that when it's all through and done there may not be much left if you have a badly rusted body. The place I used is call Clean Metal Industries in Tempe AZ. Automotive is not there mainstream of work . There main type of work is plat heat exchange unit . So if there slow they may take on car hobbyist . They are the only ones around here next closest is in Oregon . It took 3 1/2 weeks or so not a fast process. After that I brought it home and blasted it off with pressurized water to get all the leftover crap out of the cracks and seems and acid residues .it's still a lot of work on my part to get it to primer ready. Hope this helps. John Kroulik

SScopelli
10-16-2015, 01:30 PM
Yes this process removes most all rust and paint. My car had heavy surface rust from sitting out in the elements. And now its clean bare metal. I'm not sure how it will do with other kinds of rust like salt and distorted body panels do to rust damage. Just keep in mind that when it's all through and done there may not be much left if you have a badly rusted body. The place I used is call Clean Metal Industries in Tempe AZ. Automotive is not there mainstream of work . There main type of work is plat heat exchange unit . So if there slow they may take on car hobbyist . They are the only ones around here next closest is in Oregon . It took 3 1/2 weeks or so not a fast process. After that I brought it home and blasted it off with pressurized water to get all the leftover crap out of the cracks and seems and acid residues .it's still a lot of work on my part to get it to primer ready. Hope this helps. John Kroulik

As John noted it came back pretty much rust free..

From this, at the start..
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4326/35816457032_d2048bcdf0_o.jpg

to this:

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4305/35754621312_00c4fbb0a5_o.jpg
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4294/35115444883_edd114d9a7_o.jpg
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4265/35754620852_5d168ece58_o.jpg

To make sure all the chemicals from the dip, and the remnants of body putty, sealer, under coating, he manually picked at the crack and crevasse, and then high pressur washed it.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4319/35883901806_5291ff9aa8_o.jpg
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4305/35883901766_64bc380101_o.jpg

After all the cleaning was done.. It was left with what is called flash oxidation..
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4265/35883901716_99c2dcb498_o.jpg

While a bit of manual cleaning was done, most of the flash has been removed with a light acid solution to get it back to clean metal..

SScopelli
01-12-2016, 11:56 AM
Rain Rain, go away...

Well, the initial repairs on the Whistler frame are done.

A bit of effort was spent on welding up the areas where cracks may occur and welding up on some of the seams of the frame rails..

Notice in the picture the shiny metal on the frame rail seems..

So now off to the media blaster..

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4322/35854739121_b2c953b3a8_z.jpg
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4330/35816457822_81205571a5_z.jpg

Second frame is a Green Mist R1/4 speed car..

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4301/35816457102_704eb6f032_z.jpg

Well, to the back yard and play some Frisbee with Apollo the dog..

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4330/35816457292_1fe5772dff_c.jpg
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4294/35816457222_670bfb2fb0_c.jpg

asesolen
01-12-2016, 02:55 PM
Hey John, Nice sign! :!: But you better be careful with it around your dogs... they've eaten almost everything you've ever had in the back yard: car covers, rolls and rolls of blue tape, hoses, entire articles of clothing, NOS upholstery :eek:, lids off rustoleum cans. Would sure hate to see that sign ingested and re-deposited in the corners of the yard!:(

Diego
03-01-2016, 01:39 PM
Hi . . . trying to get some clarification on this and Gordon Williams' car he raced for Warren and Day.

The Whistler:

- The record it set in A/CS is in AHRA? Did it appear in the Winternationals? What year?

Gordon Williams:

- Apparently it set records, but in which configuration(s)? For this, "Winternationals" seems to mean NHRA, but which year did it win F/SA (and I assume this is the R1)? I assume C/SA was for the R2, but unsure if records were set.

Simply trying to connect the dots. Been reading a lot here but it ain't easy finding out the truth!

StudeRich
03-01-2016, 02:43 PM
Hi . . . trying to get some clarification on this and Gordon Williams' car he raced for Warren and Day.
/Cut/
Gordon Williams:

- Apparently it set records, but in which configuration(s)? For this, "Winternationals" seems to mean NHRA, but which year did it win F/SA (and I assume this is the R1)? I assume C/SA was for the R2, but unsure if records were set.

Simply trying to connect the dots. Been reading a lot here but it ain't easy finding out the truth!

Gordon Won his Class at the NHRA Winternationals in 1966 at Pomona, CA beating a Mustang, I was there still have the "T" Shirt!

Gordon had so many R1, R2, R3 configurations and it was so long ago, I remember talking with him etc. but not every detail.

It was a '63 Lark Standard, 2 dr. Sedan special ordered with a H.D. Flight-O-Matic column shift and bench Seat with all of the R1 Jet Thrust Equipment.

Diego
03-01-2016, 02:53 PM
I also read that Gordon Williams drove the R1-powered 1963 Lark sedan to victory in F/SA at the 1964 Winternationals in Pomona, but not sure.

StudeRich
03-01-2016, 03:14 PM
/Cut/

http://i1286.photobucket.com/albums/a609/R2Whistler/TheWhistler/02%20Tear%20Down/Whistler16012c_zpswc8fzwrt.jpg

Haven't you heard John, it is Illegal to display a Studebaker "S" Sign 180 Degrees OFF, or a Pepsi Sign 90 Degrees OFF! :D

jpepper
03-04-2016, 03:31 PM
It is hard to tell but it looks like the valley cover is chrome. My Superlark (63V 28392) built in March 63 had a painted one. I had one R1 from a 63 Lark years ago that had a chrome valley cover but it was painted black with the engine. Does anyone know when valley covers were no longer chromed?

SScopelli
03-22-2016, 12:57 AM
The last time we left our friends in Frostbite Falls, the frame was off to the blaster for cleaning..

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4292/35924693825_a715ebd842_c.jpg

All nice and clean:woot:

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4309/35536197840_5af4d9c309_c.jpg

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4321/35924694305_471b2bc2d9_c.jpg

Some finishing up of the repair where the mid frame traction bars were mounted...

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4312/35924694215_dcebb4d283_c.jpg

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4313/35084772354_ee0f2cc10d_c.jpg

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4315/35924694255_92096bd91e_c.jpg

A bit of primer and paint..

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4315/35924694095_01f6459fd1_c.jpg

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4292/35924694105_a5b5dfbbfa_c.jpg

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4319/35924694015_8f69bd03f6_c.jpg

BobPalma
03-22-2016, 06:05 AM
:!: 'Looking good, guys; thanks for the update.

As nice as that frame looks, is the Secreat Serial Number still visible? If so, be sure to protect it so you can get a repro Serial Number Tag to match it. ;) :cool: BP

studeclunker
03-22-2016, 03:36 PM
Thank you everyone who has encouraged John in this project. This has been a fascinating read about a great car! Thank you John for taking this car seriously and doing such an outstanding job! I look forward to your future progress as the Whistler is returned to her former glory days!

Now, sadly, I must get back to work and get off the World Wide Waste of time as most of the day is now gone.:o;) Well worth the time though!:D

Oh another thing John; if Colton is still pining for that little fellow to pull his little wagon; I have a mini-horse that would work perfectly!;) Been wanting to order one of those for him anyway.

r1lark
03-22-2016, 04:21 PM
It is hard to tell but it looks like the valley cover is chrome. My Superlark (63V 28392) built in March 63 had a painted one. I had one R1 from a 63 Lark years ago that had a chrome valley cover but it was painted black with the engine. Does anyone know when valley covers were no longer chromed?

Years ago, there was an effort to determine the paint versus chrome question. I remember that folks with R-series engines were asked to send in their engine number (or car serial number, or both) and whether their cover was painted or chrome. I can't remember the 'vehicle' for this effort -- whether it was Turning Wheels, or the Jet Thrust News (JTN).

studejohn
03-22-2016, 10:24 PM
Thank all who are following this build.And yes the Secret serial numbers are still there even after the sandblaster got done with it all .Had them taped off with heavy plummer tape but they remove the tape . As light as those numbers are stamped in I'm surprised.I see nobody has asked about why there's two frames on the trailer well the Second frame belongs to Sebastian he's building the Green machine we call it. Mentioned earlier and some of the postings here . He is also building a 63 two-door regal R1 powered. He's quite a bit behind me as far as the build goes . Sebastian thanks for posting the pictures for me thanks. John Kroulik

Warren Webb
03-23-2016, 12:39 AM

My R-2 Hawk was made in November 1962 has the chrome valley cover.

8E45E
03-24-2016, 08:02 PM
Thank all who are following this build.And yes the Secret serial numbers are still there even after the sandblaster got done with it all .Had them taped off with heavy plummer tape but they remove the tape . As light as those numbers are stamped in I'm surprised.I see nobody has asked about why there's two frames on the trailer well the Second frame belongs to Sebastian he's building the Green machine we call it. Mentioned earlier and some of the postings here . He is also building a 63 two-door regal R1 powered. He's quite a bit behind me as far as the build goes.

Yes I did!

Just DON'T mix them up with the wrong bodies now!! :)

Craig

57pack
03-24-2016, 09:42 PM
Me too! Even covering one eye!

SScopelli
03-25-2016, 04:18 PM
...I'm surprised.I see nobody has asked about why there's two frames on the trailer well the Second frame belongs to Sebastian he's building the Green machine we call it. Mentioned earlier and some of the postings here . He is also building a 63 two-door regal R1 powered. He's quite a bit behind me as far as the build goes . Sebastian thanks for posting the pictures for me thanks. John Kroulik

Well, john knows me well enough that a bit a sarcasm and ribbing is a good motivator for me..

Yes I did!

Just DON'T mix them up with the wrong bodies now!! :)

Craig

Don't worry we have them straight..

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4310/35924693695_f7bc8c857b.jpg
Don't want to hi-jack this thread, so look for new post on the Greenmist..

SScopelli
04-25-2016, 03:46 PM
Mike found these news articles from 1963..

Quarter Mile speeds of 102mph @13.92 sec
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4316/35884272926_9e2bf2f982_b.jpg

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4296/35085314034_943276ca1e_c.jpg

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4303/35085314164_2b85041fa7_c.jpg

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4319/35884272906_d612c5b0bc.jpg

studejohn
04-28-2016, 11:26 AM
Well Mike that's is a great find. The photo with Ray Tanner Chuck and Floyed The whistler and the Championship trophy. I don't think it gets any better then that! It's funny how things surface on the web .Just a matter of using different combinations and wording to search great articles like this. The interesting thing is that the Arizona Republic printed out race results . For the surrounding tracks in the area. But I guess we're talking 1963 not much news back then. So more to come as it's found.

BobPalma
04-28-2016, 05:42 PM
:!!: 'Great finds, guys; keep it up. It's good to see all that press from back in the day. :D :cool: BP

SScopelli
06-26-2016, 07:06 PM
Interesting question...

What can you buy for $528?

Well, in 1969, In Tucson Ariz, it appears that you could buy a "Slightly" used, Low Low miles, 63 Studebaker only driven on weekend for $528, With 16 payments of $10.88..

:lol::!!::!::lol::woot::cool:

https://c5.staticflickr.com/8/7465/27823654692_00f31aabe5_h.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/JoFvbm)WhatCanUBuy (https://flic.kr/p/JoFvbm) by s blazel 20508 (https://www.flickr.com/photos/124054617@N06/), on Flickr

8E45E
06-26-2016, 07:16 PM
I wonder it Bob Haase, the proprietor, is still alive. It would be interesting to know how it ended up on his lot in the first place.

Craig

SScopelli
06-26-2016, 07:27 PM
I wonder it Bob Haase, the proprietor, is still alive. It would be interesting to know how it ended up on his lot in the first place.

Craig

HAASE, Robert A., 85, of Tucson, passed away on April 8, 2008. Born August 16, 1922 in Milwaukee, WI,
Robert has lived in Tucson for over 60 years. He is survived by his loving wife, Betty; sons, Curtis (Nancy),
Charles; grandchildren, Matthew, Kari, Collin; three great-grandchildren, Alexis, Mackenzie and Madison;
one sister, Sister Bernice; brother-in-law, Richard Sonnenberg, plus many other loving relatives and friends.
Robert served his country with the USAF from 1944-1946. In addition to owning a used car dealership,
Robert was a member of Tucson Elks Lodge 385, SCORE, VFW # 4903, St. Josephs Catholic Church as an usher,
as well as being a broker for cemetery property.

Looks like he was an Usher at the same church I attended in Tucson on Craycroft Rd,

sals54
06-26-2016, 11:25 PM
If the car is being restored to its former glory as a drag racer, perhaps its time to weld in an X member?

8E45E
06-27-2016, 06:32 AM
Looks like he was an Usher at the same church I attended in Tucson on Craycroft Rd,

Thanks for the update.

It appears you were already on the case!

Craig

- - - Updated - - -

If the car is being restored to its former glory as a drag racer, perhaps its time to weld in an X member?

Why? It never had one in the first place.

Craig

SScopelli
06-27-2016, 01:26 PM
Thanks for the update.
It appears you were already on the case!
Craig

:!: Well, you mentioned it so, why not look..

I'm trying to figure out the "Dennis H Niel?????"

8E45E
06-27-2016, 01:45 PM
I'm trying to figure out the "Dennis H Niel?????"

If you run that name (appears to be 'Niebuhr') by Chuck Naugle, it could ring a bell with him, provided he was the one Chuck got it from.

Craig

studejohn
06-28-2016, 04:10 PM
Well you never know what's going to turn up on The Whistler. This simple receipt that I have found in a envelope of 62 63 titles that had been lost for about 6 years or so . The envelope of titles had slipped behind the filing drawers. Yes that simple receipt has become another key piece of history unlocking The Whistler history. Sebastian and Mike have tracked down the names on the receipt the dealer that it was sold from that gentleman his deceased. But the buyer Dennis Niebuhr it appears to be still around at 75 years young. Just waiting for a Facebook or email reply back for him .So we can unlock some more of the mystery behind the receipt. So now we know it was for sale in 1964 March. Post 116 shows markings on the window for sale and we know it was sold for sure in 1969 per new found simple paper receipt. Which I can't believe still exist. And Credit due to Chuck Naugal for keeping old paper work. Thanks for all the support. John Kroulik

StudeRon956
10-06-2016, 11:47 AM

Ron Williams here . the valley cover on my dads 63 was chrome.

SScopelli
10-30-2016, 11:08 AM
Well, It has been a while.. Maybe unlike the hibernation in the winter from the midwest, Phoenicians hibernate in the hot summer months..

StudeJohn has made some great progress on "The Whistler" as you can see below.

https://c6.staticflickr.com/6/5677/30031076533_b2d16a60c0_c.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/MKK7MB)Body161029_e (https://flic.kr/p/MKK7MB)

https://c4.staticflickr.com/6/5630/30031076283_e077510803_c.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/MKK7Hi)Body161029_c (https://flic.kr/p/MKK7Hi)

https://c6.staticflickr.com/6/5533/30031076053_45945eb7a9_c.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/MKK7Dk)Body161029_a (https://flic.kr/p/MKK7Dk)

https://c1.staticflickr.com/6/5675/30548066672_0dbff55fb2_c.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/NxqPWG)Body161029_d (https://flic.kr/p/NxqPWG)

https://c3.staticflickr.com/6/5695/30548066482_c1f8028882_c.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/NxqPTq)222/23,891 (https://flic.kr/p/NxqPTq)

8E45E
10-30-2016, 11:50 AM
Awesome! Excellent progress on this historically significant vehicle!!

Craig

StudeRich
10-30-2016, 01:04 PM
Beautiful work on that neat 1/4 Miler!

I wonder if any judge would actually notice, if one were to weld up those 2 ugly groups of 6 holes in the Firewall for the 6 Cyl. Throttle Bellcrank Shaft crossover from Left to Right?

Of course they are not so obvious when the Firewall Liner is in place, but still not pretty and can leak.

SScopelli
10-30-2016, 02:40 PM
Beautiful work on that neat 1/4 Miler!

I wonder if any judge would actually notice, if one were to weld up those 2 ugly groups of 6 holes in the Firewall for the 6 Cyl. Throttle Bellcrank Shaft crossover from Left to Right?

Of course they are not so obvious when the Firewall Liner is in place, but still not pretty and can leak.

No one would ever notice.. I did it on the 61, as well as the Clutch Rod hole, and firewall liner holes....

I Have yet any comments on it.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4295/36098727031_a918d435c8_z.jpg
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4299/35426825983_4084f08bc3_z.jpg

8E45E
10-30-2016, 04:33 PM

Welding the holes would only add WEIGHT!!! Can't have any EXTRA WEIGHT on a true race car!!

Craig

Chicken Hawk
10-30-2016, 04:56 PM
Boy that is one beautiful job!

Ted

BobPalma
10-30-2016, 11:36 PM
:!: Gorgeous, Guys; this is great. Few cars are so deserving of this level of attention to detail and quality work. :!!: :cool: BP

studejohn
11-01-2016, 11:08 AM
Ok thanks all for the encouragement. It May not look like much has been done but there is tons of work just getting it prepped for primer. All the seams nooks and crannies were cleaned out . The roof has been straightened where they seemed to have celebration dance on it. Just have some primer paintbrush detail work to do where the spraygun doesn't get to the bare metal. Body seen caulking and drip rail calking will be next.The exterior panels quarter panel doors fenders hood trunk are my next endeavor. See all you that are going to the Corvette Musclecar nationals. Thanks John Kroulik

t walgamuth
11-01-2016, 02:07 PM
Great fun! Thanks to all for contributing.

53commander
11-01-2016, 06:58 PM
Awesome progress, this is one of my favorite threads and I enjoy starting at the beginning and rereading it once in awhile.

R3 challenger
11-01-2016, 10:55 PM
Beautiful job, guys. This is one of only about 30 known surviving R2-powered F-body 1963 Larks--well worth the fine effort you are putting into it.

George

regalsam
11-02-2016, 04:05 AM
What a great post! Finding that "lost" legend is a real find. Would be great bringing it back to it's old glory.

asesolen
11-06-2016, 09:48 PM
Getting the body to primer has been an amazing process for John. It's always a pleasure to stop by and see what he's working on. And just like the slogan in 1952, it a real example of "Father and Son Craftsmanship". John's son Kolton is playing a big part of the project!
Keep up the effort!

studejohn
04-12-2017, 03:07 PM
Well not much progress has happened on The Whistler I have been very busy with Chuck Naugal sale. Picking up parts and parts cars conducting the sale. But in the process I was having Patty Naugal get me paperwork on cars that I have bought in the past from Chuck. The Whistler number cam back as being last Registered in 2015 oh boy. So the DMV would not release the name that it was registered to. Had to hire a private I / lawyer friend to get me the name of the registered under. It took them about a half an hour to do made contact with the owner a deal was made for the original serial tag and title. Fortunate for me the owner of the car that the tag and title was on was a big buyer at Chuck Naugal sale. And lived locally in Tucson Arizona. Great news and another great find for The Whistler. Thanks John Kroulik

8E45E
04-12-2017, 04:34 PM
It took them about a half an hour to do made contact with the owner a deal was made for the original serial tag and title. Fortunate for me the owner of the car that the tag and title was on was a big buyer at Chuck Naugal sale. And lived locally in Tucson Arizona. Great news and another great find for The Whistler. Thanks John Kroulik

That's awesome, John!

Did you ever find engine JTS1404 amongst the pile for Eric?

Craig

studejohn
04-12-2017, 09:48 PM
Sorry Craig no luck yet on #JTS1404 block. Sebastian has had no luck either trying to locate a B block in that pile of cars and parts. But my boy pulled 5 TT units out of cars. 1 came out of what was once a R1 Wagoneer and what was once a full package R1 64 gt hawk. Thanks John

2R2
04-13-2017, 08:37 AM
Sorry Craig no luck yet on #JTS1404 block. Sebastian has had no luck either trying to locate a B block in that pile of cars and parts. But my boy pulled 5 TT units out of cars. 1 came out of what was once a R1 Wagoneer and what was once a full package R1 64 gt hawk. Thanks John

John, thanks for looking (and Craig, thanks for remembering!) I sure appreciate it. Also, a big thank you to you John for your efforts with the Naugle collection, as well as bringing the Whistler back to life. The cars are great, but the people who share a passion for Studebakers are what makes this club so special.

Thanks again.

BobPalma
04-13-2017, 01:45 PM
:!!: What Eric said in Post #239, John. ;) :cool: BP

8E45E
04-13-2017, 01:58 PM
If so, be sure to protect it so you can get a repro Serial Number Tag to match it. ;) :cool: BP

Nice to know one of the most important (if not THE most important in the eyes of the law), pieces of this puzzle has been found, and a re-pop is no longer necessary!! :)

Craig

SScopelli
04-17-2017, 11:08 AM
Nice to know one of the most important (if not THE most important in the eyes of the law), pieces of this puzzle has been found, and a re-pop is no longer necessary!! :)

Craig

Craig,

Luck just seems to follow John. Almost makes me ill:lol:.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2868/33871334881_11dfa13e37_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/TB6rNr)[/url]

https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2840/33959495476_f859699001.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/TB6rNr)

What is also cool is finding this Plate which is like placing the cherry on top..

[url=https://flic.kr/p/TLJyrD]https://c1.staticflickr.com/4/3955/33980424831_43d1233a65_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/TJThSG)28402

StudeRich
04-17-2017, 11:29 AM
Wow, it just gets better and BETTER! The Original Ray Tanner Studebaker Dealer Plate (DLR) !! :cool: Awesome! :!:

8E45E
04-17-2017, 01:13 PM
Wow, it just gets better and BETTER! The Original Ray Tanner Studebaker Dealer Plate (DLR) !! :cool: Awesome! :!:

Yes, Rich, all the more reason for John to repaint it with the original Studebaker DEALERSHIP LETTERING on the sides, as asked in Post #104!!

....and confirms my comment in Post #110.

Craig

nwi-region-rat
04-17-2017, 09:58 PM
I saw a post about the CARS movie franchise from PIXAR....I nominate the WHISTLER as the representative for the missing Studebaker, the name alone lends itself well to the series, as well as the fact it's fast enough to run with the pack.....

asesolen
04-20-2017, 10:41 AM
The December 1963 issue of Popular Hot Rodding has the recap of the AHRA National Championship races from Green Valley Raceway in Texas. This is the race where The Whistler won the National Championship for the A/CS class. It appears that Floyd Mendenhall's name is listed incorrectly and the speed listed in the magazine is .02 different than what Floyd listed in his letter to Bob Palma shown in Post #1 of this thread.

The cover

The whole page

A closer view

BobPalma
04-20-2017, 06:18 PM
The December 1963 issue of Popular Hot Rodding has the recap of the AHRA National Championship races from Green Valley Raceway in Texas. This is the race where The Whistler won the National Championship for the A/CS class. It appears that Floyd Mendenhall's name is listed incorrectly and the speed listed in the magazine is .02 different than what Floyd listed in his letter to Bob Palma shown in Post #1 of this thread.

:) :!: Cool beans, Mike; thanks. There is no discrepancy, though, as to the two terminal speeds.

Check it out: In Floyd Mendenhall's letter back in '63, he said they held the Record Speed in class: 104.52.

In that list of AHRA National Winners, they said The Whistler's winning Terminal Speed was 104.50.

Apparently, the terminal speed posted for their class win and the record speed they held in class were set at different times and are different "things." :cool: BP

studejohn
04-21-2017, 11:02 AM
The Information out there on the web about AHRA is hard to come by and even harder is the race tracks that run back in the day. Like Beeline Dragway Green valley drag way. Most likely closed the doors and all track information was tossed out or is sitting in storage of a older gentle man that has no knowledge of how to get it on the web. So when a little piece of information like what Mike Lynch came up in the old magazine article is a great find for The Whistler project. More to come on great finds on The Whistler .Mikes hot on a new lead as we read. Thanks John Kroulik

SScopelli
07-28-2017, 09:55 PM
Thanks to photobucket, the pictures in many of the post for "The Whistler" had broken links.

I've moved the pictures to Flicker.com, and then fixed the links..

If you made a reply to any of the post and your pictures have the broken links, you can edit your post, as I can not.

If you go back to the post you clicked "Reply With Quotes" you can copy the "Quote" area and past in your post to fix the links.

This is not really necessary for you to fix, but if you have some insomnia or just need some alone time, its almost therapeutic.

It seems this day was long ago. I cant remember where is was placed in the threads, but its can go here for now.
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4317/36191405486_27872027d9_o.jpg32,301

SScopelli
07-31-2017, 02:32 PM
The year, 1977, A young man sits in front of a Packard/Bell TV watching the a Academy Awards. While Sylvester Stallone was presenting an award out pops Mohammad Ali, proclaiming he was the real Apollo Creed and that Stallone had stole his script.

Fast forward to 2013 and a man named John finding The Whistler.

.. Read the following..:cool:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/classic-cars/1964-plymouth-savoy-stage-iii-max-wedge-of-his-dreams-turned-out-to-be-even-more-special-than-he-thought/ar-AAozptj?li=BBisPVf&ocid=spartandhp

Is it the Twilight Zone that this store is very similar between The Whistler. and the Plymouth Savoy?
Similarities like the track modification to cut out the Transmission Tunnel..:eek::confused:

I like how they came to Arizona to find a "donor body" for parts and panels.:yeahright: