Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where is the fabled Studebaker grave yard?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where is the fabled Studebaker grave yard?

I may have asked this here before; I can't recall.

Probably about twenty years ago, there was an article in the Hemmings magazine about a Studebaker graveyard owned by a very private fellow somewhere on the delta around Sacremento. According to the article, it was an old farm with two or three buildings chock full of vintage cars, and, because there wasn't any more room in the garage they were lined up in the fields. They were mostly Studes but the article mentioned seeing Packard Hawks and Duesenbergs and a couple of Cords.

The article talked about how the area was being developed and there was a housing tract going in within sight of the farm.

The owner was supposed to be sort of a recluse who, at that time, was probably in his 70's.

Does this ring a bell with anyone living in the Sacremento area? If so, what ever happened to that place? I imagine if it's still there it is a treasure trove of hard-to-find parts.
    Mike O'Handley, Cat Herder Third Class
    Kenmore, Washington
    hausdok@msn.com

'58 Packard Hawk
    '05 Subaru Baja Turbo
    '71 Toyota Crown Coupe
    '69 Pontiac Firebird
    (What is it with me and discontinued/orphan cars?)

Studebaker ex proving grounds right outside the track in the woods, it's now bosch proving grounds http://www.satellite-sightseer.com/i...roving_Grounds it's in new carlisle Indiana, you can see studebaker's still cut into it. in those woods next to the track lies a waiting treasure

Comment

of course I'm talking about "Before the new wore off' Ausgaust 1971 which would be 42 years, but this is the only studebaker graveyard I've ever heard off...... heres the article if you haven't heard of this you should read it, very sad, but alot better than what GM did with them http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/2...-new-wore-off/ and heres a video of this place http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luOtiRTDf_g

Comment

Might be Chuck Naugle in Arizona.

Don't know much more than that

Take Care

George O

Comment

Originally posted by GThawkwind View Post
          of course I'm talking about "Before the new wore off' Ausgaust 1971 which would be 42 years, but this is the only studebaker graveyard I've ever heard off...... heres the article if you haven't heard of this you should read it, very sad, but alot better than what GM did with them http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/2...-new-wore-off/ and heres a video of this place http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luOtiRTDf_g
          No, That's a completely different article. This one was definitely about a location in California and the only clue they gave was that it was in the Sacremento delta region.
          Mike O'Handley, Cat Herder Third Class
          Kenmore, Washington
          hausdok@msn.com

'58 Packard Hawk
          '05 Subaru Baja Turbo
          '71 Toyota Crown Coupe
          '69 Pontiac Firebird
          (What is it with me and discontinued/orphan cars?)

Comment

The only Studebaker Graveyard I can think of is THE graveyard in the Proving Ground. A place I am quite fond of, just read my signature...
            Chris Dresbach

Comment

I can't remember the owners name and I've never personally visited this "graveyard". But it DOES exist in Sonora, California - which is not too far from Sacramento.

Edit: Here's a thread regarding the place... http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...%2C+California
              No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Regarding the YouTube video. I don't know whether to be thankful someone made a video of the location..., or go nuts because the camera is constantly yanking around and there is no narration of what is (barely) seen. I teach Television Production for a living. So should you find yourself with camera in hand here is some very basic advice:
                1. Try and hold the camera steady or use a tripod.
                2. Start with a wide establishing shot for a general perspective of the area.
                3. Have a shot of a cluster of cars.
                4. Have shots of individual car.
                5. Have close-ups of interesting points of the cars. 2-5 is referred to as the natural order of progression.
                6. If possible get interviews or narrate points of interest.

Just about ever phone today has video capability. The Windows and Apple operating systems have editing capabilities included. I just find it so sad that there was so much Studebaker history there and all I mostly saw was a swirling blur. Kind of like viewing the Mona Lisa while being spun in a chair. I'm not trying to get down on the person who shot this, but rather encourage others should they also have a similar opportunity.

Tom
                Last edited by wittsend; 03-25-2013, 09:24 AM.
                '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Comment

Rex Miltenberger can tell you. He bought a '29 President roadster from the owner of the property. He had rebuilt a old western town. Believe it is long gone.
                  Richard Quinn
                  Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Originally posted by wittsend View Post
                    Regarding the YouTube video. I don't know whether to be thankful someone made a video of the location..., or go nuts because the camera is constantly yanking around and there is no narration of what is (barely) seen. I teach Television Production for a living. So should you find yourself with camera in hand here is some very basic advice:
                    1. Try and hold the camera steady or use a tripod.
                    2. Start with a wide establishing shot for a general perspective of the area.
                    3. Have a shot of a cluster of cars.
                    4. Have shots of individual car.
                    5. Have close-ups of interesting points of the cars. 3-5 is referred to as the natural order of progression.
                    6. If possible get interviews or narrate points of interest.

Just about ever phone today has video capability. The Windows and Apple operating systems have editing capabilities included. I just find it so sad that there was so much Studebaker history there and all I mostly saw was a swirling blur. Kind of like viewing the Mona Lisa while being spun in a chair. I'm not trying to get down on the person who shot this, but rather encourage others should they also have a similar opportunity.

Tom
                    Irionically there was another video on the PG Graveyard that was on YouTube for years but was recently taken down for a copyright infringment. Not really sure what they meant by that, I personally know the owner of the vodeos who is in them and he is asking the same question! The video was narrated by Mike Lenyo and shows details of every vehicle out there. He still has the "master copy" on VHS and some time soon we are going to transfer it to DVD and save it on a computer file.
                    Chris Dresbach

Comment

Overhead Google photos here: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...hlight=proving

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by Chris_Dresbach View Post
                        The only Studebaker Graveyard I can think of is THE graveyard in the Proving Ground. A place I am quite fond of, just read my signature...
                        Overhead Google photos of the Studebaker one here: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...hlight=proving

Craig

Comment

found his info right here on the board http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...e-in-Sonora-Ca heres an overhead of the place if I'm right
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	creepy.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	15.6 KB
ID:	1679560 and heres a link to it on google images https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&s...-8&sa=N&tab=wl hope this helps

Comment

I contacted my friend John Burgh of Concord CA who went up to the site to look at the '29 President and ask him for his recollections of that visit. Below his response.

I have some info, that I will rely on you to abstract or copy onto the Forum. That ‘29 President roadster came from a remarkable place called “Georgetown”.....an old-West street movie set assembled by George Smith. He was a retired set maker in Hollywood who collected obsolete sets used in movies, and hauled them home for his kids to play in (we should all have such fathers!) The sheds were full of antique cars, probably 20 in total, when I was up there in 2005(?) or so. At the time George was in failing health, and his wife Joyce and kids Guy and Mindy were starting to sell off the cars to raise funds for George’s care. Guy was handling it, although I met Joyce and Mindy while there.....delightful people, who lived in South Bend at one point. I was only there that one time....subsequent delivery of the ‘29 was handled directly between Rex and Guy. Guy really hated to give up that car.....it was the one the kids learned to drive in.

As to cars, there was the ‘29 that went to Rex, and a ‘33 Rockne sedan (Larry Tholen knew of the car and already had it on his Roster of Rocknes.) From memory, the others were an eclectic mix, ranging from Rolls Royces to various American makes, but only the one Stude, the one Rockne. I seem to recall some fire equipment, and a Professional Car or two. I have no idea of whether any of them remain.

“Georgetown” is near Sebastopol, CA. My contact at that time was Guy Smith, 4014 Frei Road, Sebastopol, CA 95472-3919. Mindy’s e-mail was MelindaMKM7@aol.com. Attached are the photos (excluding the ‘29 that Rex got) of Georgetown that I have. Unfortunately, I was there to get info on the ‘29 for Rex, so took no photos of the other cars. Hope this is useful.

John
                            Richard Quinn
                            Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

OK the shot of Sonora thats Studebaker George he's got maybe 100 cars and trucks laying around. He's south of Placerville on Hwy 49. Georgetown is north of Placerville not to far off Hwy 49. I have to wonder if who you are thinking of is Fred Danson he passed 3-4yrs ago. Fred lived in Woodland Ca and had 2-3 chicken houses full of Studebaker cars trucks and parts. Club meetings at his place looked like zone meets. Now this was before I joined so I only have some photos and what others have told me. All of Freds stuff is gone now.Sabastopol is quit aways west of Sacremento toward the coast.Maybe someone with alittle more knowledge think of more.

Comment

Working...
                              X