PDA

View Full Version : Christine needs a transplant

starliner62
03-24-2013, 03:05 PM
James and I worked most of the day on Friday, getting Christine ready for a trip to the beach for our first show of the year. We changed the oil, repaired exhaust leaks, including removing manifolds to replace broken studs and made some wiring repairs. As usual, we were pushed for time trying to get things done. We wanted to get to the beach in time to participate in the parade that is held on Friday night. We got finished in time to get home, clean up and pack, gather up my 11 year old and head out.
About ten miles down the road, we heard something a little funny so we pulled over to take a look and listen. Well, it ended up that we heard the tell-tale knock of bearings getting ready to let go. We nursed Christine home and ended up going to the show in my brand X beater. How depressing. :mad:
We have decided to go ahead and rebuild a 289 to replaced the 259 that is in the car. I have plenty of blocks, cranks and heads. I told son James that he would have to chip in and help pay for pistons, rings, bearings and gaskets since it is HIS car. He is working now and should contribute a little towards the car since he does drive it most of the time. I won't break him but he will do most of the heavy labor involved in an engine rebuild and swap.
James has learned quite a bit about working on cars this year. He has been working at the shop where I do most of my Studebaker work after school and on weekends, helping me.
Now that event season has officially started, we find ourselves without a running Studebaker. How depressing!!! It looks like I need to get some work done on my Lark and get busy with Christine.

On a positive note, we had 8 Studebakers at the show this weekend and every one of them took a trophy home!!

StudeRich
03-24-2013, 03:40 PM
I have forgotten is Matt's X Commander now over 70,000 Miles?

If it is still "low" mileage of course the YEARS could have a lot to do with it.

However I always wonder on '58 to '60's if it had ANYTHING to do with it having one of those "ribbed" Engine Blocks front to rear along the sides of the Lifter Valley next to the Cyl. Head surface.

After all 4 of these 30 to 50,000 Mile Engines 3 259's, 1 289, I have had that there was no reason in the world for a Rod Brg. failure EXCEPT the Blocks that were only cast during those years from a different Mold than all the rest, that often Fail, I am very suspicious as to the casting, Main Brg. and Cyl. mis-alignment etc.

JimC
03-24-2013, 03:44 PM
I know how it feels. By comparison I don't have nearly as big a task in front of me, but I have a million little projects to deal with and almost no time. My coolant is leaking. My brakes need work. I leave about as much oil on the ground as I have in the engine. My interior needs a lot of love. I'm really hoping I can get enough done that I'll be able to drive it to the first weekly Coffee cruise on the first Saturday this May, but I MUST have all systems go by our Orphan car show, on the third Sunday. I have no weekends off between then and now, I'll be out of town for two of those weeks, and due to the nature of my job I get approximately 16 hours OFF per week (12 of which usually being family time).

Can I do it with the 12-16 free hours of time I have? I sure hope so! :D

mbstude
03-24-2013, 04:09 PM
Rich, that car was parked due to bad brakes in 1974 with 97k miles showing on the odometer. 35 years later, I bought it.

I did the bare minimum to make it a driver, and I put at least 15k on it. And somewhere in there I put an NOS speedometer in, so what's showing isn't accurate.

I know James has put a lot of miles on it since then. The old girl has done way more than it was ever intended to, having lasted this long!

Btw, i don't remember that block having the ridges beside the heads but its been a while since I was around the car.

starliner62
03-24-2013, 04:12 PM
Rich,
Well over 70,000 miles. I was really surprised that this happened. It sounds like a rod bearing. The oil pressure is not bad, 40 psi at cruise and 15 psi at idle, so I wouldn't think mains. I'm thinking that is could be the 17 year old that has figured out the L-D-L first to second gear shift procedure so he could wind her up a little bit.

rockinhawk
03-24-2013, 06:22 PM
Same thing with Josh's Lark. One day,running good except for alittle smoke, then for no apparant reason,#1 rod bearing seized. Of course Josh had Cherry Bombs on his and if/when it started knocking, we probably couldn't hear it.
And yes, it does have the ribbed engine. Rich Is there anything we need to do to correct the problem?

StudeRich
03-24-2013, 06:32 PM
Same thing with Josh's Lark. One day,running good except for alittle smoke, then for no apparant reason,#1 rod bearing seized. Of course Josh had Cherry Bombs on his and if/when it started knocking, we probably couldn't hear it.
And yes, it does have the ribbed engine. Rich Is there anything we need to do to correct the problem?

I really do not know Neil, but blueprinting it would probably find the problem, and then again it's cheaper to replace it.
This IS only my "theory" and not 100% proven but it's my somewhat "Educated" Guess, but it's my Story and I am stick'en to it! :D

rockinhawk
03-24-2013, 06:48 PM
I really do not know Neil, but blueprinting it would probably find the problem, and then again it's cheaper to replace it.
This IS only my "theory" and not 100% proven but it's my somewhat "Educated" Guess, but it's my Story and I am stick'en to it! :D
Don't have the $$$ for bluprinting and Josh wants to keep the original engine in his car so I guess we'll just chance it.

He was offered a couple of running replacement engines, but wanted to keep the #'s matching if he can.