Another day in anti-paradise with my best friend Murphy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another day in anti-paradise with my best friend Murphy

Well, a while back I made a trade for a 61 Hawk. It originally had a 3 speed with OD trans, which at some point had been replaced with a straight 3 speed. The 3 speed worked, but leaked oil.
    I recently replaced the trans with a used T86 with OD. I did a lot of cursing and swearing trying to get the trans installed by myself, but finally managed. Seems like the only help I get is from my closest friend Murphy, you know... the founder of Murphy's Law? Anyone that is not familiar with Murphy's Law, just google it.
    Anyway, I was quite happy to have the overdrive back in it, and figured I might have to sort out some electrical issues to make it work, but not a big deal.
    So I try to back the car off the ramps hat I had under the front tires... and it won't move in reverse. Forward is no problem. I had read a little about the BW OD operation, and recalled that in certain instances they freewheel, so I thought it was something I wasn't doing properly. If I am understanding correctly, the transmission has an internal linkage that disables the OD in reverse, otherwise, it wouldn't move in reverse.
    I pull out the OD handle to disengage it, put it in reverse, and... still no reverse.

So today, I put it back up on stands, and verify that the OD was engaged all the way, and try it again. it wouldn't even turn the wheels off the ground. In gear, I could turn the driveshaft one way, but not the other, indicating that the OD is engaged. I move the lever all the way to disengage the OD, and again, no reverse, only some occasional noise. In gear, I could not turn the driveshaft either direction, indicating the OD is disengaged. Then I ran out of time as I had to take my boy to baseball practice.
    Tomorrow I am going to remove the R-1 shift linkage to verify that it is engaging 100% into reverse, but I am already 99.9% sure it is. Looks like I will be reinstalling the 3 speed for the time being, and will tear the OD trans apart when time allows, probably over next winter. Just when I think I am done dumping money into this pit... I mean project, I find something more to spend it on. And to top it off, it has been snowing all week. In case you were wondering, I dislike snow and cold.
    On a positive note, I woke up alive this morning, so all in all, it was a pretty good day.

There are sprag clutches in the OD unit that will engage and lock in place if OD handle is engaged and the car is pointing uphill and rolled back against the sprags or wedged up against a curb. The sprag pawls should disengage as soon as the "back" pressure is relieved and the handle is disengaged. Could be the cable is broken inside, although your diagnosis would indicate otherwise.

Comment

Originally posted by 63 R2 Hawk View Post
      There are sprag clutches in the OD unit that will engage and lock in place if OD handle is engaged and the car is pointing uphill and rolled back against the sprags or wedged up against a curb. The sprag pawls should disengage as soon as the "back" pressure is relieved and the handle is disengaged. Could be the cable is broken inside, although your diagnosis would indicate otherwise.
      Years ago I had a '55 Plymouth with OD. The Studsebaker OD was probably the same or similar. I had spun a bearing and a fellow who worked out of his home garage fixed it. I picked it up and the first time I tried to back up was from angle parking at a movie theater. We ended up "borrowing" a floor jack from a near-by fire dept. whose doors were open, as we couldn't get anyone's attention late in the evening. We raised the rear axle and pushed the car out into the street. Returned the jack and went back to campus. The symptoms fit 63 R2 Hawk's description.
      "Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional." author unknown

Comment

The OD cable is fine, as a matter of fact, when I verified that it was both engaged and disengaged 100% both directions, it was manually from under the car to ensure the lever was to its limit. I will probably take another look at it tonight and make sure it is fully engaging reverse gear before pulling it back out.
        I should go find a four leaf clover for some good luck before touching it again, but I dont think they grow in the snow. Speaking of which, it is still snowing here.

Comment

Sounds like the one season I had my trans in-and-out about a dozen times. The silver lining was that I got the R/R of the trans down to about 25 minutes. Finally resolved the trans issues by finishing up with a starter wire resting against the exhaust pipe and cooking my under hood harness in a puff of smoke and flame! Yes, Mr. Murphy has MANY different addresses!
          Frank Remlinger
          Detroit, Michigan
          SDC# A004602R

Comment

Well, I unhooked the R-1 shift linkage and verified reverse was engaged all the way. Still no reverse. I loosened the OD housing bolts and retightened them, which did seem to make the OD lever work more freely, but still no reverse. I also disconnected and removed the OD solenoid. It was properly engaged into the lock mechanism and released. So I pulled the trans out and removed the top cover. It is pushing the OD rod back when fully in reverse like it is supposed to. I can see the rod move freely when actuating the OD lever.
            So something is toast inside the OD assembly. The 3 speed will go back in tomorrow so I can get it out of my garage. I will have to spend a half day cleaning my garage out and bench off so I have a place to take the transmission apart.

Any suggestions as to where to get the best prices on the Borg Warner parts? I can buy gaskets and seals anywhere, but not the internals.

Comment

Satdoc.....I hve a complete t-86 w/od sitting in my basement....when I say complete I mean completely disaasembled, so if you need internals I'm not too far away.
              Also, there is a great tranny man close by who is very reasonable.

Bill
              Bill Foy
              1000 Islands, Ontario
              1953 Starlight Coupe

Comment

Working...
              X