Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: Hog Troughs for 52 Conversion

Good Morning
    As in previous posts I have come up with an idea to use 16 gauge steel building studs for
    the Troughs and then plating the top and bottom with 16 gauge sheet metal welded to the studs to give them the desired width. Because of the studs being a U-shape I have been told 18 gauge would still be stronger than the original troughs.

Can anyone tell me what gauge the troughs were and if anyone has dimensions it would help.

I ordered a NOS body parts manual but I have not received it yet and I don't know if it will help?

Also if there is anyone in the Tacoma area that has replaced their troughs I would sure like some guidance
    Thanks so much for your help
    Greg

I replaced them on my 55K with 16 gauge. Tack welded them from the top and the bottom.

Click image for larger version

Name:	107.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	1679503 Used a sheet metal brake to bend them and used the originals for a template. Good luck.
    Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Dave that picture helps me alot. I have been under my car alot but I still do not understand
      where the body fastens to the hog trough or does the hog trough attach just to the frame.
      and where. Someone said there was some bolts through the trough and the frame but I am darned if I can find it. The reason I am going to use the steel studs is Ithink I can open the hog troughs
      and insert the studs and then plate over them

Comment

Exactly. If you notice the bottom hog trough, it's not closed up yet. Had to leave it open to access the weld points inside, then zip it up. Attach them to the floor near the frame and then inner rocker panel.
        Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Here is an example of what I am meaning these are probably not the correct width it'Click image for larger version

Name:	hog trough 001.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	1679514Click image for larger version

Name:	hog trough 002.jpg
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	1679515Click image for larger version

Name:	hog trough 003.jpg
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	1679516Click image for larger version