Studebaker wheelbarrow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker wheelbarrow

Ok I hope this works. It is not mine. Just saw it on C/L awhile ago I have no idea if it's real. Studebaker
    Wheelbarrow
    $800 (pittsburg / antioch) antiques - by owner
    pic map

Originally posted by 55coupe View Post
    Ok I hope this works. It is not mine. Just saw it on C/L awhile ago I have no idea if it's real. Studebaker
    Wheelbarrow
    $800 (pittsburg / antioch) antiques - by owner
    pic map
    The El Dorado County Museum (Placerville, CA) has an authenticated John M. Studebaker wheelbarrow. There is a small picture of it here- http://museum.edcgov.us/exhibits It does look somewhat similar, but how likely is it that such a wheelbarrow made in Placerville in the mid-19th century would have made it back east?
    Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
    '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

I didn't meen to confuse anyone this Pittsburg is by San Fracisco CA.

Comment

I have a license plate frame from a Stude dealer in Pittsburgh, Ca.
        No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Is there any way to tell if this is an actual Studebaker wheelbarrow? Thanks, Steve
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 55coupe View Post
            I didn't meen to confuse anyone this Pittsburg is by San Fracisco CA.
            I should have picked that up by the word Antioch (used to live in East Bay). Considering that, it is possible the wheelbarrow could be Studebaker. Comparing the museum picture with the Craigslist picture it does look like the frame, handle bars, and wheel mounting are the same. That would be a very nice item to have.
            Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
            '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

The only thing I could do is look at the one in Placerville then drive 2hrs and look at the one for sale and give it my best guess.

Comment

They don't look anything the same. The Placerville wheelbarrow looks like it was made by a blacksmith with some woodwright skills. The Pittsburg wheelbarrow looks like it was made by a woodwright with no blacksmith skills. Look at the wheels on both, differen spoke arrangement. John M. wheelbarrows were made for prospector, so that they could be assembled and disassembled quickly and be in peaces that could be packed on a mule or burro.

Comment

When we visited the museum in Placerville, the docent told us the thing to look for were the staggered spokes. He told us the wheelbarrow was authenticated by John M himself when he revisited Placerville. The wheelbarrow has been in the same museum since.

Look at the wheel up close.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Novpics 018.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	1679508
                  Jon Stalnaker
                  Karel Staple Chapter SDC

Comment

Just to be clear, Pittsburg, CA is spelled differently than Pittsburgh, PA.

The wheelbarrow listed on CL looks a lot like many reproduction carts coming out of Eastern Europe several years ago being sold as antiques. All nicely patina-ed.

Twenty-three years ago I rented a room from a guy here in Fresno. Learning of my Studebaker interest, he says, "I've got a Studebaker wheelbarrow right here." In a garden planter was a square-design wooden wheelbarrow, slowly disintegrating in the weather and moisture. A few years later, he tried to move it. It fell apart and he threw it away. I had told him there really wasn't a good way to authenticate a genuine Studebaker wheelbarrow. I don't recall the wheel looking like the one Jon shows from the museum example, but didn't know to look for that. It did have the basic structure as the Museum one, but I think most from that era did.
                    KURTRUK
                    (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

I have a studebaker wheelbarrow. My sons gave it to my wife and I along with a 57 golden Hawk for our 50th anniversary. They seem to be scarce on the Internet. Showed a picture of it with the car in the background to an employee at the Studebamer museum in South Bend. It made a big hit. Guess is should put some pictures out.

Comment

How many Studebaker wheelbarrows are known to be in existence? Even if thousands were made I can't imagine more than a small handful still being here. These things were sold to miners, put to hard use, left out in the weather and discarded when the 49ers gave up and went home.
                        I'd rather be driving my Studebaker!

sigpic

Comment

I know a guy who has two stude wheelbarrows above his grainery in his barn, they came east from calf, in the mid 60s with stude wagon and a case steam engine

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC05943.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	130.2 KB
ID:	1712768This is from the Studebaker Century book

Comment

I would think it is certainly possible that over the 6 years from 1852-1858 there may have been design variances depending on improved design, available materials and intended use.
                              Pat Dilling
                              Olivehurst, CA
                              Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

Working...
                              X