Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Interesting discussion of piston rings....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Interesting discussion of piston rings....

Seems that moly coated rings are falling into some disfavor.

Only over 800 HP....
    (Don't think we have anything to worry about)
    Jeff

(copy)

Originally posted by Chucks Stude View Post

http://list.powerautomedia.com/lt.ph...n-ring-tension
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Originally posted by Chucks Stude View Post
      Only in the very high horsepower builds with the thinner rings. Neither of these apply to 99.9% of Stude builds.

It may be moot anyway, as one our major suppliers just told me the manufacturer he buys from has discontinued production of moly rings in the Studebaker diameter. Insufficient demand.

Anyone have a guaranteed source for Studebaker V8 moly rings, I'd appreciate knowing.

jack vines
      PackardV8

Comment

One thing Massingil doesn't say....!

The "original" design for the "moly" coated ring, the moly was "cast" into the ring face. THIS is the material that flakes and chips off of the ring. And are still available.

The plasma sprayed moly has a MUCH better service life, though these do cost more. I've heard of these rings living as well as any other in the 800 to 900hp engines.

BUT, in many of todays engines over about 800hp, it seems most have gone to very thin, stainless rings. As the artical notes, there isn't many Comp. Elim. type engines that "don't" run a crankcase pump. Mostly the ones that don't...can't per the NHRA rules. The light load ring package "with" an evacuation pump, can produce a coupla tenths and 2 or 3 mph. Well worth it when there's money to be won..!
        And now tool steel rings seem to be finding their way into carbureted engines also.

And has been said...not many 800+hp Stude engines around.
        I'm using Total Seal's rings in my 299 Stude engine. One of these days, I'll get around to putting it together...!

Mike

Comment

Working...
        X