PDA

View Full Version : Probably a stupid question

jeryst
03-20-2013, 02:18 AM
Why is the York swap meet in February?

Wouldnt it be better to have one when the weather is nicer?

Just wondering, cause I hate the cold!

jimmijim8
03-20-2013, 03:07 AM
Cause South Bend is in May. jimmijim

FlatheadGeo
03-20-2013, 08:23 AM
It helps us deal with Cabin Fever!

studegary
03-20-2013, 01:02 PM
I wonder the same thing. I can see staying away from Summer when there are a lot of meets and flea markets. I think that April would be much better. The primary reason that I have stopped going to Reedsville and York is the potential for bad weather. I have come home from them in ice and/or snow too many times. It is not too bad for those that live close or those from the South, but I think that it now limits draw from the North.

PackardV8
03-20-2013, 01:26 PM
1. The facility charges less in the off season
2. There is less competition from local and regional shows and swap meets in the off season.
3. Here in the northwest, people always complain because the Portland and Puyallup swap meets are so early in the year, because it always rains. Answer is it always rains in Portland and Puyallup. The weather is always a problem in York. It's either too cold, too hot, or too humid.
4. Why Arizona in mid-summer? Because the International Meet is always in the summer, even when it is in AZ and it's 110 in the shade and there ain't no shade. Anyone ever count how many Studes were driven to AZ from the northern tier? If the meet had been in the spring, the CA/NM/TX/UT cars which were driven in could still have gotten there and most of the rest either flew or drove a BrandX anyway.
5. It is what it is.

jack vines

rockne10
03-20-2013, 11:39 PM
Haven't been to a Reedsville or York I haven't enjoyed. Even if the weather was inclement.

candbstudebakers
03-20-2013, 11:51 PM
I did make the trip to Reedsville from California once and loved it but it was touch and go with the weather and would make a trip to your but in Feb. I would need to be nuts to try, could get ready and never make it there, change the date and I could plan a trip.

JRoberts
03-21-2013, 06:10 AM
I would think that the chief reason would be that there are too many other car related activities in warmer weather. I like it when it is as motel rates are a bit lower and i don't have to make decisions that are car related as to what event to go to that weekend. That said I have missed the last two years at York, but the decisions not to go were not because of the time of the year.

03-21-2013, 07:38 AM
Why is the York swap meet in February?

Wouldnt it be better to have one when the weather is nicer?

Just wondering, cause I hate the cold!
One important reason in my house is that it is the same weekend as the Pennsylvania Flower and Garden Show a couple buildings away- makes it MUCH easier to convince the wife to go (and some other wives too).

R_David
03-21-2013, 07:54 AM
One important reason in my house is that it is the same weekend as the Pennsylvania Flower and Garden Show a couple buildings away- makes it MUCH easier to convince the wife to go (and some other wives too).

Now THAT is a good reason. As a matter of fact maybe I will try that on the wife for next year!!

RadioRoy
03-21-2013, 11:32 PM
When we had the international meet in Lancaster in September a few years ago, it was fun but something seemed odd or out of place. It took me a while to put my finger on it, but finally it came to me...

The weather was very pleasant and comfortable.

I had never been in the Lancaster/York area before that time when the weather wasn't gawdawful/windy/freezing/cold/miserable. :)

cobraman428
03-22-2013, 05:14 AM
Dont try and fix something that aint broke. Put the tools away and leave it where it is on the calendar.

studefan
03-22-2013, 05:20 PM
Reedsville in Nov
York in Feb/Mar
South Bend in May
International meet in the summer

Seems nicely spaced out.

PlainBrownR2
03-22-2013, 05:55 PM
Never been to either York or Reedsville on the account of distance, but if having York in February is a real terror, well, Brand X swap meet season begins in January here in Chicago. It's more than an ideal, opportune time to get those vehicle repairs/replacement parts done before the onset of car show season ya know :D.

larkregal62
03-23-2013, 01:23 PM
We have just had a post meet committee meeting and there are a few changes for next year in the works-- hopefully of a positive nature. First is that meet will be March 6,7,8 2014. This decision was made because only the final day of the meet would have been in the traditional March time frame. Hopefully the weather will be milder, but,that is always an uncertainty. The meet activities are almost all conducted inside heated buildings any way. We are looking for comments, either positive or negative,so please post. I am also somewhat confused that the comments about adverse weather seem to be from those who appear to live in the snow belt and not those in the sunbelt---- interesting. I have lived in those areas and would think Northern Pennsylvanians and those in New York and New England would be accustomed to the typical winter weather of the Northeast. BTW Reedsville will be October 25,26 2014.

Skip Lackie
03-24-2013, 07:48 AM
My only comment is that having the York meet on the same weekend as the Flower and Garden show was a good thing, as it provided another attraction for the wives (and maybe some of us husbands) to attend. It was also a way to soak up some warm, humid air after six months of cold, dry air and dry skin.

GTCruiser
03-25-2013, 06:13 PM
Reedsville in Nov
York in Feb/Mar
South Bend in May
International meet in the summer

Seems nicely spaced out.

The right reason for sure!

jeryst
03-30-2013, 01:42 PM
I dont think the argument about conflicting with other car shows makes sense. There are tons of car shows in PA (just look at the Carlisle calender). We pick and choose what we want to go to. I dont go to the Ford Shows, streetrod shows, truck shows, Corvette shows, etc. They're there, but I dont pay attention to them. I live in PA, but still four hours away from York and never make it there for several reasons. First, its so early in the year I always forget about it. Second, I dont have an AWD and dont want to make a 4 hour trip in potentially bad weather. Third, I dont relish walking around looking for parts in sometimes sub-zero temperatures. Fourth, when there is snow, I think it just deters vendors and visitors alike. Who wants to set up tables or lay out parts when there is snow on the ground?

What about a Studebakers at Carlisle event?

rockne10
03-30-2013, 05:06 PM
Well, Jerry, your "several reasons" are obviously a deterrence. If you get more involved in your Allegheny, Kinzua or Keystone Chapters, you probably won't "forget about it." Weather is always "potentially bad", spring, summer, fall or winter. SYSM has never, in my recollection, experienced temps below 32, let alone "sub-zero." Maybe you just need to get out once in a while. A positive experience with those who share your interests may be just what you need. No doubt others from your area attend. You could make it a group activity. It may be a four hour drive for you. For some, it's a seventeen hour flight.

DieselJim
03-30-2013, 05:24 PM
Made the trip several times. The first time, Chuck Naugle picked me up on his way to York from Arizona. In fact, he picked me up several times. That is about 5 day trip one way. Now we just talk about the good times.

larkregal62
04-02-2013, 12:40 PM
Well said, Brad--I'm not sure that Jeryst is really reading what we have said--AGAIN--90% OF THE SYSM IS INSIDE HEATED BUILDINGS As far as getting there Driving time more like 3hr 20 min and they keep the roads clear except during a blizzard. We have also not had any of those for quite a spell. Perhaps this year (2014), Jerst will consider coming