Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Probably a stupid question

Why is the York swap meet in February?

Wouldnt it be better to have one when the weather is nicer?

Just wondering, cause I hate the cold!

Cause South Bend is in May. jimmijim
    sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

It helps us deal with Cabin Fever!
      1957 Studebaker Champion 2 door. Staten Island, New York.

"Education is not the learning of facts, but the training of the mind to think." -Albert Einstein

Comment

I wonder the same thing. I can see staying away from Summer when there are a lot of meets and flea markets. I think that April would be much better. The primary reason that I have stopped going to Reedsville and York is the potential for bad weather. I have come home from them in ice and/or snow too many times. It is not too bad for those that live close or those from the South, but I think that it now limits draw from the North.
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

1. The facility charges less in the off season
          2. There is less competition from local and regional shows and swap meets in the off season.
          3. Here in the northwest, people always complain because the Portland and Puyallup swap meets are so early in the year, because it always rains. Answer is it always rains in Portland and Puyallup. The weather is always a problem in York. It's either too cold, too hot, or too humid.
          4. Why Arizona in mid-summer? Because the International Meet is always in the summer, even when it is in AZ and it's 110 in the shade and there ain't no shade. Anyone ever count how many Studes were driven to AZ from the northern tier? If the meet had been in the spring, the CA/NM/TX/UT cars which were driven in could still have gotten there and most of the rest either flew or drove a BrandX anyway.
          5. It is what it is.

jack vines
          PackardV8

Comment

Haven't been to a Reedsville or York I haven't enjoyed. Even if the weather was inclement.
            Brad Johnson,
            SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
            '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
            '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I did make the trip to Reedsville from California once and loved it but it was touch and go with the weather and would make a trip to your but in Feb. I would need to be nuts to try, could get ready and never make it there, change the date and I could plan a trip.
              Candbstudebakers
              Castro Valley,
              California

Comment

I would think that the chief reason would be that there are too many other car related activities in warmer weather. I like it when it is as motel rates are a bit lower and i don't have to make decisions that are car related as to what event to go to that weekend. That said I have missed the last two years at York, but the decisions not to go were not because of the time of the year.
                Joe Roberts
                '61 R1 Champ
                '65 Cruiser
                Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Originally posted by jeryst View Post
                  Why is the York swap meet in February?

Wouldnt it be better to have one when the weather is nicer?

Just wondering, cause I hate the cold!
                  One important reason in my house is that it is the same weekend as the Pennsylvania Flower and Garden Show a couple buildings away- makes it MUCH easier to convince the wife to go (and some other wives too).
                  Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                  '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Originally posted by 53k View Post
                    One important reason in my house is that it is the same weekend as the Pennsylvania Flower and Garden Show a couple buildings away- makes it MUCH easier to convince the wife to go (and some other wives too).
                    Now THAT is a good reason. As a matter of fact maybe I will try that on the wife for next year!!
                    sigpic
                    1961 Flamingo Studebaker Hawk

Comment

When we had the international meet in Lancaster in September a few years ago, it was fun but something seemed odd or out of place. It took me a while to put my finger on it, but finally it came to me...

The weather was very pleasant and comfortable.

I had never been in the Lancaster/York area before that time when the weather wasn't gawdawful/windy/freezing/cold/miserable.
                      RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                      4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                      5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Dont try and fix something that aint broke. Put the tools away and leave it where it is on the calendar.

Comment

Reedsville in Nov
                          York in Feb/Mar
                          South Bend in May
                          International meet in the summer

Seems nicely spaced out.

Comment

Never been to either York or Reedsville on the account of distance, but if having York in February is a real terror, well, Brand X swap meet season begins in January here in Chicago. It's more than an ideal, opportune time to get those vehicle repairs/replacement parts done before the onset of car show season ya know .
                            1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
                            1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
                            1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
                            1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

We have just had a post meet committee meeting and there are a few changes for next year in the works-- hopefully of a positive nature. First is that meet will be March 6,7,8 2014. This decision was made because only the final day of the meet would have been in the traditional March time frame. Hopefully the weather will be milder, but,that is always an uncertainty. The meet activities are almost all conducted inside heated buildings any way. We are looking for comments, either positive or negative,so please post. I am also somewhat confused that the comments about adverse weather seem to be from those who appear to live in the snow belt and not those in the sunbelt---- interesting. I have lived in those areas and would think Northern Pennsylvanians and those in New York and New England would be accustomed to the typical winter weather of the Northeast. BTW Reedsville will be October 25,26 2014.

Comment

Working...
                              X