PDA

View Full Version : Studebaker-related Street Names

Peanut
03-19-2013, 08:40 PM
A comment on a different thread got me thinking: How many Studebaker-related street names are out there? Even if they weren't inspired by the Studebaker family and their vehicles, I'm sure there are a bunch.

Here in my hometown, I know there is a Lark Street, but I'd have to look and see if there are any others. Surely there isn't a Dictator Avenue anywhere! :D

StudeDave57
03-19-2013, 08:47 PM
Years ago I learned that there is a "Park View Place" in Coronado, California.
They put a space between the words 'park' and 'view' because it is near a park... :ohmy: :yeahright: :eek:

Lark8girl
03-19-2013, 09:04 PM
Monroe, Indiana, has "Studebaker " street.

husband of Lark VIII girl

showbizkid
03-19-2013, 09:05 PM
Of course there's Studebaker Road in Los Angeles. I've never been able to determine whether it was historically related to the Vernon assembly plant, but it is a major thoroughfare to this day.

57pack
03-19-2013, 09:09 PM
Hello, We have a Packard Street here in Hammonton Nj, does that count?
I remember reading some where there is a whole housing development where all the streets were named for different car companies past and present. I.E. Studebaker Drive, Auburn Ave, Hudson Ave, you get the idea. Seems the land developer was a car aficionado. I just can't remember where it was!
My wife just told me there is a Daytona Ave. in Winslow Twp NJ, next town to the north of us.

Sam Ensley
03-19-2013, 11:17 PM
Florida has a whole town named for a Studebaker: Daytona, or possibly, it's the other way around.

Chris_Dresbach
03-19-2013, 11:50 PM
South Bend also has a Studebaker St. There is also an Erskine Dr. I'm sure there are others.

Gary1953
03-19-2013, 11:55 PM
Not a street but a town in MO is named Hawks Point.

55coupe
03-20-2013, 01:06 AM
In Shingle Springs CA Studebaker Rd. off old Hwy 49 west of Placerville.

candbstudebakers
03-20-2013, 01:40 AM
Also in Roseville California there is a night hawk circle, the housing track was build by Avanti Builders, I have seen Studebaker drive in different town and cities, also in Roseville not far from night hawk circle is Champion oaks dr. In San Leandro Ca. there is a Lark St. and one in the San Jose, Ca. area. that one is Lark Ave. I think.then there is Black hawk drive in San Ramon, Ca. also in Oakland, Ca. there is Champion St.

doug
03-20-2013, 02:22 AM
I went through the Thomas Guide for Los Angeles & Orange County several years ago and found a whole column of Studebaker related streets for the newsletter.

stude dude
03-20-2013, 02:31 AM
There is a Studebaker Street in a new industrial estate not far from me here in Brisbane. All of the surrounding streets have names of horse drawn origins, e.g. brougham, phaeton, etc.

One day I will steal that sign!

Chris.

Rerun
03-20-2013, 05:21 AM
There is a Studebaker Street in Bethel Park, PA (near Pittsburgh). It runs parallel to Buick Street, one block away, so the name is probably actually related to Studebaker vehicles.

TMAN0950
03-20-2013, 08:12 AM
22282Here is one in Tucson

BShaw
03-20-2013, 08:25 AM
A couple of articles I wrote way back when I created the SDC website. Probably needs updating by now.

http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com/studebakerroad.asp

http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com/MoreStudebakerRoads.asp

03-20-2013, 09:18 AM
A comment on a different thread got me thinking: How many Studebaker-related street names are out there? Even if they weren't inspired by the Studebaker family and their vehicles, I'm sure there are a bunch.

Here in my hometown, I know there is a Lark Street, but I'd have to look and see if there are any others. Surely there isn't a Dictator Avenue anywhere! :D
In rural Berkeley County West Virginia there is a Chicken Hawk Lane though I doubt if it was inspired by Ted Harbit's car.

Warren Webb
03-20-2013, 12:25 PM
Of course there's Studebaker Road in Los Angeles. I've never been able to determine whether it was historically related to the Vernon assembly plant, but it is a major thoroughfare to this day.

On some older Thomas guides it is described an area just north of Norwalk called Studebaker & Studebaker Road runs through it. When I bought my Hawk I remember turning off Lark Lane in Huntington Beach.

Swifster
03-20-2013, 12:47 PM
In Warren, MI, there is a Studebaker Ave. There is also a Chalmers, Paige, Hudson, Packard, Continental, Ford, Cadillac, Hupp, Maxwell and Dodge in the same sub-division.

pushrod63
03-20-2013, 01:53 PM
My shop is in Erskine, MN.

studegary
03-20-2013, 02:26 PM
Near here are streets named Skytop and Hawk.
My niece recently lived near a Studebaker street in VA.

57pack
03-21-2013, 04:13 PM
Thank you Swifter! That's the development I was thinking of!
Just drove up Commander Road in Lower Twp. In Cape May County NJ
Bill

Welcome
03-21-2013, 06:25 PM
Waited a few days to see if someone;) was going to throw this one in, but they didn't so here it is:

ROCKNE DRIVE, South Bend, Indiana

DieselJim
03-21-2013, 07:16 PM
Studebaker street in Mishawaka, In.

Lark8girl
03-21-2013, 09:06 PM
Ypsilanti, Mi, has Studebaker St. near the old Corvair plant. In the neighborhood is also DeSoto , Buick, and Zephyr streets.
Fort Wayne, IN has Packard St.
husband of Lark VIII girl

Lark8girl
03-21-2013, 09:14 PM
Fort Wayne, IN and Bend Or, both have Lark Lane.

just for fun my buddy lives on Lois Lane , in Fort Wayne IN

Husband of Lark VIII girl

Steve T
03-21-2013, 11:52 PM
Hamilton has South Bend Road, up on the escarpment, and neighbouring Burlington has Lark Avenue; needless to say I have photographed my Lark on both streets with the signage clearly in view...Lark Avenue is in a subdivision called Birdland for all the avian street names, and in fact my shots of my Lark are at the intersection of Lark and Falcon...two direct competitors in the early-sixties compact car market.

S.

57pack
03-23-2013, 05:14 PM
Someone is a avid gardener at the intersection of Automobile Blvd. and Studebaker Ave.!
In Warren Mich.

RadioRoy
03-23-2013, 08:31 PM
Not strictly Studebaker related, but in San Jose, CA there is an intersection of Radio and Roy streets. I thought that was preetty cool. :)