Studebaker Plaza design unveiled

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker Plaza design unveiled

Plans unveiled in today's South Bend Tribune for $295,000 Studebaker Plaza. Seems very disappointing for the site that began the Studebaker legacy in South Bend. Only Studebaker reference is a salvaged "S" that was from the foundry and donated and a small plaque that seem to be shoved into the back corner. Obvious no one from the area helped design it.

Originally posted by tjanowia View Post
    Plans unveiled in today's South Bend Tribune for $295,000 Studebaker Plaza. Seems very disappointing for the site that began the Studebaker legacy in South Bend. Only Studebaker reference is a salvaged "S" that was from the foundry and donated and a small plaque that seem to be shoved into the back corner. Obvious no one from the area helped design it.
    One doesn't get a lot for $295,000 for a building these days. You need at least that amount to build a decent house, so I can imagine a commercial building would end up less than inspiring.

Craig

Comment

There is no building, just a small open area on a corner with some benches and small kiosk and landscaping basically.

Comment

Originally posted by tjanowia View Post
        There is no building, just a small open area on a corner with some benches and small kiosk and landscaping basically.
        The homeless need more places to sleep!

Craig

Comment

A fat quarter million bucks and it's appointed with simple BENCH seats! What happened to "Always give more than you promise."???

I can't recall if I've ever read what now stands where the original H&C Studebaker blacksmith shop was. Does anyone know what's there now?

Are there any streets in the SB area that bear names of various Studebaker models? Something like Avanti avenue, Commander causeway, Regal road, Champion circle, Lark lane, Hawk hiway would be fitting names for a new subdivision, methinks. All we've got so far is this here Lark Park (apologies to Dale).
          No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Originally posted by Roscomacaw View Post
            I can't recall if I've ever read what now stands where the original H&C Studebaker blacksmith shop was. Does anyone know what's there now?
            Yes, Bob; there is a brass plaque embedded in a large rock on "the spot," denoting it as such. I don't have a photo of it handy, but perhaps someone will post one. BP
            We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Is this IN town or off somewhere?
              No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

A fat quarter million bucks and it's appointed with simple BENCH seats!
                If you want buckets and a console, then you need the sport park option. Extra dough.

Comment

Is this IN town or off somewhere?
                  Nope; it is right "downtown" on what is purported to be the actual location of their original, 1852 blacksmith shop. IIRC, it's on the corner of what is now a municipal parking lot in the downtown area. BP
                  We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                    Nope; it is right "downtown" on what is purported to be the actual location of their original, 1852 blacksmith shop. IIRC, it's on the corner of what is now a municipal parking lot in the downtown area. BP
                    The spot is on the corner of Jefferson and Michigan Streets in the heart of downtown on a vacant lot. The plaque has been missing since before the International meet here last year, I was told it was stolen.Thank Great Lakes Capital Trust for donating the spot.There is a Erkskine and Studebaker golf course and Rockne, Packard, Lark and Studebaker streets in the area. Come tour the body plant this spring before it's renovation thanks to owner Kevin Smith.

Comment

Are there any streets in the SB area that bear names of various Studebaker models? Something like Avanti avenue, Commander causeway, Regal road, Champion circle, Lark lane, Hawk hiway would be fitting names for a new subdivision, methinks.
                      I think there actually IS a "Lark Lane"; and the subdivision was new in 1961.

Craig

Comment

I have a good photo on my Photobucket page, but since they changed the way the pages look, I can't make sense of anything.

Comment

Originally posted by StudHawk60 View Post
                          I have a good photo on my Photobucket page, but since they changed the way the pages look, I can't make sense of anything.
                          Looks like a fourth grade art project gone bad, no disrespect to fourth graders. Where's the Studebaker in Studebaker Plaza? Calling the city on this one.

Comment

Working...
                          X