1963 Lark Master Cylinder Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brakes: 1963 Lark Master Cylinder Questions

I have spent hours searching the forum for answers regarding my braking issues that I have encountered changing the master cylinder in my Lark. I am installing a Turner Disc Brake system in the fronts as well as a power brake booster that I had rebuilt a couple of years ago and have yet to install. My problem is that I thought I had purchased an old Studebaker power brake booster but it turns out that it is not. Looking over all the parts that I acquired for this build I had purchased a two bolt flange type booster, Jim Turner told me that all Studebaker boosters are 4 bolt. Here's the problem, Jim recommends using a 1 1/16" or 1 1/8". After searching and reading as many threads available, I would like to find as close of a master cylinder to stock. An old post that Matthew Burnett commented on suggested that he used an AMC/Jeep Master Cylinder as a good replacement for the 1963 Master with brake switch port coming off the bottom. What I found was a Wagner MC56193 or alternate F56193 with a bolt on lid or a Cardone Master 10-36365 is also a good match with the bolt on lid. Both used in 1974 Jeep CJ5 and CJ6's. I'm not too worried about changing fittings on the brake lines if I have to, since I am changing all these old brake lines anyway.

The stated bore is 1" on the MC56193. I am questioning the importance of using a the 1 1/16" or 1 1/8" bore with the Turner Disc Brake system vs. using this Master noted above? Does anybody have any experience using this MC?

Here's a pic borrowed from Amazon's site of the Wagner MC.

Thanks in advance for any information,

Allen
    1964 GT Hawk
    PSMCDR 2014
    Best time: 14.473 sec. 96.57 MPH quarter mile
    PSMCDR 2013
    Best time: 14.654 sec. 94.53 MPH quarter

Victoria, Canada

I would again question Jim Turner as to the 1 1/8 or other bore MC. The AMC MC's that I have used are from the late '60's-early '70's. The difference has been the top uses a baling wire in lieu of the bolt. There is also a difference between a power MC vs. non-power MC. I don't know the difference but the parts books show different numbers. Some of the AMC boosters are the same as Stude from the 60's. I'm in the process now of adding PB to my '64 wagon. I had Booster Dewey rebuild the booster. I located an NOS MC for PB on epay. Rob in PA.

Comment

If I understand correctly, you wish to convert to a power disk system on your '63 Lark. To be technically correct, you need to mirror the setup used in an Avanti, with the exception of the link from the booster mount lever to the brake pedal. The Lark link is different in length. However, it doesn't make sense to use a single M/C. Select a dual unit (for safety) and forget the hydraulic brake switch in favour of a mechanical one. The setup won't look like a stock '63 PDB, but neither would the unit pictured in your post.
      If you need a booster mount, lever and link, check with Jon Myer for the parts.

Comment

Originally posted by stude1964 View Post
        I would again question Jim Turner as to the 1 1/8 or other bore MC. The AMC MC's that I have used are from the late '60's-early '70's. The difference has been the top uses a baling wire in lieu of the bolt. There is also a difference between a power MC vs. non-power MC. I don't know the difference but the parts books show different numbers. Some of the AMC boosters are the same as Stude from the 60's. I'm in the process now of adding PB to my '64 wagon. I had Booster Dewey rebuild the booster. I located an NOS MC for PB on epay. Rob in PA.
        It is my understanding drum brake MC have residual valves in them to slow the release of the pad from the drum whereas in my front Disc brake application may have to have the residual valve removed from the front circuit to release the Disc pads.

I was wondering if this was the MC cylinder that you purchased on Ebay for your car?

I was looking at this one but there is no mention of the bore size on this MC and I pass on it. I even tried to google the part number with no luck to get some information about it.

Allen
        1964 GT Hawk
        PSMCDR 2014
        PSMCDR 2013

Victoria, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by WCP View Post
          If I understand correctly, you wish to convert to a power disk system on your '63 Lark. To be technically correct, you need to mirror the setup used in an Avanti, with the exception of the link from the booster mount lever to the brake pedal. The Lark link is different in length. However, it doesn't make sense to use a single M/C. Select a dual unit (for safety) and forget the hydraulic brake switch in favour of a mechanical one. The setup won't look like a stock '63 PDB, but neither would the unit pictured in your post.
          If you need a booster mount, lever and link, check with Jon Myer for the parts.
          I have the booster mount brackets and a rebuilt booster, albeit it is not a four hole mount like a Studebaker one, which is my dilemma to find a MC that will look period correct (not Studebaker correct) for power disc brakes and drum rears. At this point I am not considering a mechanical switch and favour the existing pressure switch for ease of installation. I really just want this car to stop and be safe for my girl.

Allen
          1964 GT Hawk
          PSMCDR 2014
          PSMCDR 2013

Victoria, Canada

Comment

Do you know what car the booster is for? Avantis began using a two bolt master cylinder pattern about 1971. So if your booster is for that '71 and later Avanti II, then the master cylinder for them is what you probably need.
            Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

In '63 Larks, the power front disc brakes used a single chamber MC. The four drum brakes had the "split" MC. I've read that some people have used a dual MC from late sixties mustangs that had front disc brakes. I've seen a MC on ebay for the past few years that looks just like the dual MC on my '63 Lark, listed for '65 &'66 Studebaker. I don't know if this would work on your application though.

Comment

Allen, the e-bay ad states this MC is for power drum brakes. the 63 duel MC is very costly about $325.00 where the 64-66 is about $90.00 and this one on e-bay is what $55.00? SI has both of these.
                Candbstudebakers
                Castro Valley,
                California

Comment

It is my understanding from talking to a mechanic today at the school I am working at, is that the 1" bore may not be large enough to power the new disc brake circuit. Does anyone know of a 2 hole flange MC with a 1 1/8" bore with a "sort of stock" looking MC ie. Bolt on cover and Switch mount MC?

Allen
                  Last edited by studebaker-R2-4-me; 03-19-2013, 05:22 PM.
                  1964 GT Hawk
                  PSMCDR 2014
                  PSMCDR 2013

Victoria, Canada

Comment

While this doesn't exactly look like stock, here's what I did with my car...http://www.studebaker-info.org/tech/...lum210911.html.
                    Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Comparing 1" bore versus 1 1/16", the 1" provides more line pressure at a given foot pressure on the pedal. The downside is, the 1" pumps less volume, so you may run out of pedal travel before the brakes are fully applied. Looks like Gunslinger got it all figured out, and all you need do is replicate. However, if you are trying to salvage the booster you already have, you may have to go back to the drawing board.

The AMC style, dual MC (same as 64-66 Stude) is 1" bore, and works well with the DB setup I use on two different Hawks, which have HUGE calipers & rotors, but no power assist (not needed). On the third Hawk (63GT), OEM master cylinder & power assist work great with the Turner DB kit the PO installed, replacing the OEM disc setup.

In sum, a 1" will probably also work for you, but I bow down to Jim T's wisdom, and would not argue with him about it.

Comment

Allen, the M/C in your original post looks like it is for Drum/Drum, and has the equal size reservoirs does it not?

Disc/Drum always have a large Rear Chamber for the Front Brakes, and a small Front chamber for the Rears.

Disc. Master Cylinders also have Residual Valves in the Rear Brake (Front) Port.
                        StudeRich
                        Second Generation Stude Driver,
                        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

If it was me I would use a master from a disk brake Mustang with the larger bore as Jim suggests and u could prob use the Mustangs Vaccume assist also.
                          If you car is ugly then it better be fast.....

65 2dr sedan
                          64 2dr sedan (Pinkie)
                          61 V8 Tcab
                          63 Tcab 20R powered
                          55 Commander Wagon
                          54 Champion Wagon
                          46 Gibson Model A
                          50 JD MC
                          45 Agricat
                          67 Triumph T100
                          66 Bultaco Matadore

Comment

Rich, Yes I have decided that the 64-66 Studebaker master cylinder is not the way I am going to go, plain and simple the bore is not big enough for me to take a chance on having my pedal go to the floor before the front disc engage. I have not yet found a master cylinder that I want to use yet. I am kind of stuck between using a flip top clip on the master to a bolt down style similar to the stock drum version. I am considering a Mustang master but having a hard time finding one with the ports pointing in toward the engine and finding the right combination of Disc/Drum with 1 1/8" bore. I am hoping someone has had done something similar to me. I really don't know where my booster came from, it may well have been an Avanti II setup. It does have the proper brackets although, I am missing a key component to making the setup work, I am missing the brake pedal to booster bracket linkage!

If anyone one has one for sale I could use it. I am still looking for ideas on a master cylinder as well: one with a two hole flange, 1 1/8" bore, front circuit for disc and drum rear, outlet ports to the inside, and a bolt on top. Life would be good if I could get a part number on one of them

Allen
                            1964 GT Hawk
                            PSMCDR 2014
                            PSMCDR 2013

Victoria, Canada

Comment

Allen....don't know if this will work but Speedway has a bunch of M/C's that may.

Good luck
                              Bill Foy
                              1000 Islands, Ontario
                              1953 Starlight Coupe

Comment

Working...
                              X