1957 Silver Hawk AC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1957 Silver Hawk AC

Hello from a newbie. Just purchased a 57 Silver Hawk and I really don't know anything about Studebakers, so I may be posting quite often!
    My first question is: How do I tell if this car has factory, dealer installed, or aftermarket AC? It has a large, old looking compressor, with an underdash control/vent unit. The unit is not hooked up (no belt) but appears to be all there. Car is a 289 automatic. Will post pics when I learn how!
    Thanks for any replies.

WELCOME ...to the SDC Forum!!!

You'll find a lot of answers here on the Forum

Comment

Congradulations on the puchase of your Hawk and joining the forum. I bought my Hawk 5 years ago and just like you had alot of questions, but with the help of many people here I was able to completely rebuild mine. This forum has a wealth of knowledge and your sure to find the answers you seek. Unfortunately I don't have air in mine so I won't be much help.
      sigpic

Packardbakerly,
      J.D.

Comment

Here are two different Factory Installations in '58 President (Classic) Sedans, very similar under dash Units would be in a Silver Hawk but very, very few were Factory Installed in Hawks.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Pres Sedan Beige_Wht6.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	29.9 KB
ID:	1679449 Click image for larger version

Name:	Pres Sedan Whtgold_WhtF.jpg
Size:	29.5 KB
ID:	1679450

After clicking "Reply to Thread" the third little ICON to the right of the Smiley Face is where you start to load Pics.
        You can load them from the Photobucket Webside in your account after signing up for free.

OR, just download them from your "C" Drive or wherever they are on your Computer. Be sure to leave the cursor after your Post Text, where you want the Picture to be before clicking the Picture Icon like I did here, or it will go where you do not want it.
        Last edited by StudeRich; 03-18-2013, 06:13 PM.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

You could post the pictures on facebook and link the direct image here, I find it easier. That is what I do with all my images. Good luck on your Hawk
          Sure she may have 85hp, sure she may not be the most attractive or fastest thing out there, but she is the best car that represents me- 1953 Studebaker Champion Sedan

Comment

Here is the AC compressor and other items associated with it.
            Click image for larger version

Name:	100_3388.jpg
Size:	94.3 KB
ID:	1679467Click image for larger version

Name:	100_3389.jpg
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	1679468Click image for larger version

Name:	100_3390.jpg
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	1679469These are the AC components. Any thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by Washtubman View Post
              [ATTACH=CONFIG]22266[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]22267[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]22268[/ATTACH]These are the AC components. Any thoughts?
              OPPS, the under dash unit is nothing like the Studebaker Unit I posted in Post #4, it is an aftermarket unit, the Compressor looks correct though.
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by Washtubman View Post
                [ATTACH=CONFIG]22266[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]22267[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]22268[/ATTACH]These are the AC components. Any thoughts?
                Assuming there's an idler pulley involved, the way the compressor is nearly touching the fender apron, I'd say the front motor mounts are pretty much collapsed.

If the condenser doesn't leak, its very compatible to run with 134. But of course you'd need 134 hoses; use adapters to mate the new style hose fittings to th older fittings on your condenser. Some folks will argue you need a new style condenser for 134, but that has not been my experience. The one on yours is second to none, when combined with modern hoses and a new drier.

Comment

Working...
                X