1963 289 in a 1959 Silver Hawk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1963 289 in a 1959 Silver Hawk

As soon as the snow melts I plan to drop a 289 V8 lifted from a 63 Cruiser into my 59 Silver Hawk. The Hawk came with a 259 and a 3 speed with overdrive and a generator instead of an alternator. I would like to know where I could find a clutch for the 3 speed and also if I use the alternator on the 289 motor, will I need to replace the voltage regulator or the balist resistor on the Hawk? Do I even need a ballist resistor? Is there anything else I will need to know?

Thank you in advance,
    Sam

Actually there is quite a LOT you need to know to do this.

(1) Assuming the Cruiser was Automatic, the '63 Engine Block will need to be "Dialed in" to the centerline of your Hawk Standard Trans. Clutch Housing, per many posts here and the Shop Manual.

(2) Alternators were not used until 1963, so you would have to refer to the Wiring Diagram for '63-'64 Hawks to get it correct. The Regulators are COMPLETELY different single Contact type as on '63 Dodge because for just one thing, Alternators require a "trigger" wire from the Ignition switch Run Term. to the Regulator.

The Alternator change does not effect the Ignition system and resister at all.

The Clutches are available to be rebuilt at your local Rebuilder or New and Rebuilt at Studebaker Vendors at:
    studebakervendors.com
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Sam,

If you do not want to hassle with trying to figure out electrical things, simply unbolt the generator and bracket from your old motor and re-install when you have the '63 289 in place. Everything is there that you need and unless you are installing a stereo that pulls a lot of juice or a road rally light bar, the generator will serve you well.

By the way - those '63 Cruisers really paid a price to have other Studebakers live. The motor in my '62 7E7 Champ came out of a '63 Cruiser back in the early '70s... At the time, however, my dad said you could buy an R1 cam for $25 - so it is not completely stock.

Comment

If you are going from an automatic to a stick, you have to change the bolts on the back of the crank. The bolts for an automatic are shorter than the ones for a stick. You have to drop the rear main cap to change the bolts.
        RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
        4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
        5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Yeah I was actually provided a nice step by step "how to" for the dialing in process by a fellow member. It seems a bit tedious, but do-able. I thought maybe the clutch would be difficult to find or rebuild, but it sounds like a pretty common part so it shouldn't be a problem. I didnt realize that it would require that much work to convert it to an alternator. I think Ill just have the Hawk's generator rebuilt and go that route.

62champ: I feel a bit guilty and almost hesitant to pull the 289 out of the cruiser. The car runs and drives (doesnt stop very well) and is 98% complete. If it wasn't for the undercarriage rust issues I would just fix it up and drive it. Other than that it looks straight and solid. Another issue is that its sitting over at my folks house and they want it out of their driveway and I have no where to store it so I figured Id yank the motor and sell the car to enthusiast for cheap. BTW, I wish one could still buy R1 cams for $25!

Comment

One more question, If I dropped the automatic into the Hawk, would I need a shorter drive shaft?

Comment

BTW, I wish one could still buy R1 cams for $25!
              There's more than one of us here who can remember buying a complete, running Cruiser for $25. That was then, this is now. I can still get you an R1 regrind for $100 plus shipping.

jack vines
              PackardV8

Comment

Really? I would definitely want to have one. I do plan to rebuild the 289 at some point and would like to do some mods to it including turbos. I am not sure which cam would work best for that.

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
                There's more than one of us here who can remember buying a complete, running Cruiser for $25. That was then, this is now. I can still get you an R1 regrind for $100 plus shipping.

jack vines

Comment

Hey Sam,

If you want to sell the car whole and put the cash towards an engine that's closer to your wants(did you see the R1 listed on the swap page?), shoot me a pm. I used to live in St. Cloud, and all my in-laws live near Annandale. I'd they aren't interested in a running cruiser, I may be, if the price is right, lol.
                  '63 Lark Custom, 259 v8, auto, child seat

"Your friendly neighborhood Studebaker evangelist"

Comment

Hi Jim,
                    No I didnt see the R1 but will check it out. If the price is right I could let the Cruiser go. Thanks for the lead!

Comment

If you fix the brakes that cruiser would probably be perfect for someone that wanted a classic cheap driver that they could get right into, and go. Without a motor it's a rusty engineless lark, only worthwhile to someone who wanted to restore, and your gonna have alot of trouble finding someone who wanted to restore a Cruiser with no motor. I think it would be better to do a little work to the cruiser and sell it as an entry level studie, then use the money to buy a better engine.
                      If it was me I'd post a couple pic's in this thread just to see if generates much interest, and decide from there.

Comment

I think you made a really good point GThawk, I dont think anyone would want it without the engine, besides I really dont want to pull the motor out of it anyway. I think the car is to nice to part out. I never felt right about yanking the engine and then trying to sell it. Its titled too so I could roll around in it for a while. Ill try to start a thread to see if anyone is interested or not.

Comment

Hey the other thread that had the R1 motor in it now has a link to the craigslist ad. looks like a steal for the money, if he kept the floor shift bits that would awesome in that hawk, otherwise I'd BW T10 all the way. I bet you could pull the grand he wants for that motor out of that cruiser.

Comment

Originally posted by 62champ View Post
                            Sam,

If you do not want to hassle with trying to figure out electrical things, simply unbolt the generator and bracket from your old motor and re-install when you have the '63 289 in place. Everything is there that you need and unless you are installing a stereo that pulls a lot of juice or a road rally light bar, the generator will serve you well.

By the way - those '63 Cruisers really paid a price to have other Studebakers live. The motor in my '62 7E7 Champ came out of a '63 Cruiser back in the early '70s... At the time, however, my dad said you could buy an R1 cam for $25 - so it is not completely stock.
                            The engine from my 63 Cruiser is in a Dragster in Daytona Fla,the trans is in my GT, the rear end is in North Ga in a 53 HT. the doors are hanging on the fence in case anyone needs one, the A-arms are on the GT. every thing went to the scrapyard.
                            Neil Thornton

Comment

Not to derail this thread too much, but was that a 2 door or 4 door cruiser Neil? I have some bondo-ed up rust-through on at least two of my four doors
                              '63 Lark Custom, 259 v8, auto, child seat

"Your friendly neighborhood Studebaker evangelist"

Comment

Working...
                              X