1965 Studebaker mirror question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1965 Studebaker mirror question

Here is a rectangular mirror on ebay that the seller says is for a 1965 Studebaker. http://www.ebay.com/itm/1965-Studeba...-/250966915516

I don't remember any Studebakers coming with rectangular outside mirrors. But my main question is if this is a Studebaker mirror and if was also offered in 1966. My 66 Cruiser has this exact mirror. It's either quite a coincidence or maybe Studebaker did offer this style mirror and I just never saw one before. Up until now I was sure mine was some aftermarket thing. Any comments?
    "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Thats not a Studebaker mirror of any year or model.

Chris.

Comment

I think my '66 Cruiser has a pair similar to these, stuck out on the front fenders. Some of these aftermarket Mirrors were just so common in the Day that many Cars got them because mirrors did not come on cars as standard equipment.

And the worst part is people believe they are original equipment because they were on their somewhat "Original" Car, so much that they spend more than a New Original Style Studebaker Mirror getting it re-plated!

Many are the Roberk Brand, which had many different heads, but quite a few styles used that base.

Captpatterson doesn't know what he has, he also has a "Studebaker" Air Cleaner that is not, it looks like a Ford.
      Last edited by StudeRich; 03-17-2013, 10:54 PM.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Back in the '70s I sold tires, batteries and accessories...that mirror looks very similar to a universal aftermarket unit we carried. The seller stated it's used so he might be assuming it's a genuine Stude accessory if it was removed from one.

Back then not all states required outside rear view mirrors so it's also possible it was dealer installed...either when sold new or as a used car.
        Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Originally posted by stude dude View Post
          Thats not a Studebaker mirror of any year or model.

Agreed. That mirror is a far cry from the ones that Studebaker offered for '65.(AC-2918,AC-3180 or AC-2579)Actually if that mirror had a round head, it would KIND OF resemble the Canadian mirror, but no dice.I do agree with the seller however, that a 1965 Studebaker Chapion would be a rare car,lol.

Comment

Speaking of mirrors, was there a mirror that was offered in 1965 and not in 1964? I ask this because I found a '64 four door Daytona the other day that the owner claimed had '65 mirrors because the original owner ordered mirrors for it from the local dealer and got '65 mirrors rather than the "proper" '64 mirrors. I know that there were several styles of mirrors available, but never thought there were mirrors available in '65 that were not available in '64. Oh, and the '64 cannot be bought, at least reasonably, though it has not been moved in years and though looks solid now, will not be for long I fear.
            Joe Roberts
            '61 R1 Champ
            '65 Cruiser
            Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post
              Here is a rectangular mirror on ebay that the seller says is for a 1965 Studebaker. http://www.ebay.com/itm/1965-Studeba...-/250966915516

I don't remember any Studebakers coming with rectangular outside mirrors. But my main question is if this is a Studebaker mirror and if was also offered in 1966. My 66 Cruiser has this exact mirror. It's either quite a coincidence or maybe Studebaker did offer this style mirror and I just never saw one before. Up until now I was sure mine was some aftermarket thing. Any comments?
              Mirror portion absolutely not Studebaker. Base looks similar to correct version however.
              Stu Chapman

Comment

OK. Thanks. At least it's correct to the period (and I like the slightly larger mirror area). I suppose some day I'll put on the correct style. I don't think I've ever seen the Canadian model in person.
                "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

Originally posted by rusty65 View Post
                  Agreed. That mirror is a far cry from the ones that Studebaker offered for '65.(AC-2918,AC-3180 or AC-2579)Actually if that mirror had a round head, it would KIND OF resemble the Canadian mirror, but no dice.I do agree with the seller however, that a 1965 Studebaker Chapion would be a rare car,lol.
                  I do plan to obtain the manuals in the next day or so, is there a website that SHOWS the different mirror models that ARE Studebaker correct? At least by model, I imagine by year would be troublesome.

I do remember having one mirror on my 60 sedan, it was rectangular and had a little styling on it with the mirror actually recessed in a slight shroud, taller on the top than on the bottom. Looked cool, whether it was Stude or not.

Comment

Mirrors are a dicey subject . If you notice any factory lot shots , none of the cars had outside mirrors installed , at least on the late model cars. This could of been to transportation problems with mirrors getting damaged in transit....who knows? Therfore dealers had to install them so they wouldn't have been any exact spot they would have been drilled I would think.
                    sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Must be a French built model. A Studebaker Chapion, wee wee mon ami!
                      As a aside and joking aside, I worked at a local Datsun dealer back in the early seventies and the new cars were delivered to us sans mirrors, radio antenna, wheel covers, and license plate brackets. All were in a box in the trunk or strapped down in the back of station wagon models. If I remember correctly even the carpets were in that box.
                      For history sake, this Datsun dealer was a former Packard Dealer.
                      Ed Roth & Son
                      sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
                      Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
                      "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

Originally posted by 2R5 View Post
                        Mirrors are a dicey subject . If you notice any factory lot shots , none of the cars had outside mirrors installed , at least on the late model cars. This could of been to transportation problems with mirrors getting damaged in transit....who knows? Therfore dealers had to install them so they wouldn't have been any exact spot they would have been drilled I would think.
                        Back in the day many states didn't require outside rear view mirrors so they were an extra cost option unless required by the state where the vehicle was being sold in. Then it was a required option but most were still dealer installed, even if shipped within the car...kind of like wheel covers. Eventually federal standards required both right and left outside mirrors.
                        Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Originally posted by Gunslinger View Post
                          Back in the day many states didn't require outside rear view mirrors so they were an extra cost option unless required by the state where the vehicle was being sold in. Then it was a required option but most were still dealer installed, even if shipped within the car...kind of like wheel covers. Eventually federal standards required both right and left outside mirrors.
                          Understood. But, regardless of whether they were required or not, were there 'Studebaker' specific mirrors and are they listed somewhere public? Are they imaged in the body manuals by chance?

I mean, the upside of this thread seems to be, put whatever period appropriate mirror wherever you fancy and you should be historically accurate. Aside from the technical point that having NO mirror is likely the correct thing

Comment

I think most years Accessory books or Fact books show the mirrors for that particular year.
                            sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Originally posted by LeoH View Post
                              Understood. But, regardless of whether they were required or not, were there 'Studebaker' specific mirrors and are they listed somewhere public? Are they imaged in the body manuals by chance?

I mean, the upside of this thread seems to be, put whatever period appropriate mirror wherever you fancy and you should be historically accurate. Aside from the technical point that having NO mirror is likely the correct thing
                              Posts #5 and #6 explain most of what you are asking, YES there were and still ARE correct Studebaker Mirrors, often pictured in Studebaker Vendors Turning Wheels Ads, on websites etc. see: studebakervendors.com

Aftermarket Mirrors do not cut it at SDC Car Shows, since correct Mirrors ARE available.
                              StudeRich
                              Second Generation Stude Driver,
                              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
                              X