Axle Bearing Seals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Axle Bearing Seals

As long as we're on the topic of aftermarket parts which don't function as OEM (on another thread), my wife asked me to post this question as she is getting tired of hearing me grumble about it. I have new bearings and seals for my Dana 44. When I disassembled the rear hubs, etc. to install these new pieces (and have shafts magnafluxed) I noted that I had about .085-.090" of shims on the right side and PLENTY of play in the bearings (one of the reasons I decided I needed to do this job--I'm guessing about 1/16 inch of end play at either wheel) and so was assuming I'd need less shims on reassembly. The seals I bought have a distinct shoulder about 5/16" wide on the bearing side of the inner diameter of the seal--this is unlike the OEM seals and I have assumed the purpose is to prevent the bearings from "walking" in towards the differential (a good idea I assumed). However when reassembling everything (and using the .085"-.090" shim pack) I now don't have ANY end play. This seems to be caused by this plastic sleeve molded into the seal preventing the axles from going far enough into the axle tubes and thus no end play. I can still rotate the axles by hand but I'm most reluctant to "button" things up this way. Any thoughts on these "sleeved" seals would be much appreciated. (I've "backed" the left outer race out about .020" and still have no discernable end play). I may not have the seals all the way into the tubes, but I don't think this is the case. What about these seals? Originally, were they for a non-Stude application and are "we" trying to adapt these seals to our needs? If I didn't have the seals in all the way I would think they would be forced in when the outer races are pushed in (thus pushing the axles in further).

wagone and the R2 Avanti

Are these the seals that come in a brown or white plain box with the Stude. application info on a white sticker and are from a Stude. vendor? If they are the green ones from CR in their box, (513105 I think) they are for a Jeep, and do not work![xx(] I tried sawing off the excess protruding part and ruined it.
    You want good ones, I have them for $15.75 ea. e-mail me.

quote:[i]The seals I bought have a distinct shoulder about 5/16" wide on the bearing side of the inner diameter of the seal--this is unlike the OEM seals and I have assumed the purpose is to prevent the bearings from "walking" in towards the differential
    StudeRich
    Studebakers Northwest
    Ferndale, WA
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
    X