PDA

View Full Version : Nice old Packard-Baker in MN

evilhawk
03-17-2013, 03:39 PM
This car really got my attention as I always wanted one. But like always, I found it at a bad time for me to buy anything:

http://stcloud.craigslist.org/cto/3672389327.html

Are these cars supercharged? I may have to take a look anyways..

bezhawk
03-17-2013, 03:56 PM
Only the Hawk series were supercharged in 58. no sedans

BobPalma
03-17-2013, 04:28 PM
That '58 has been advertised before; e-bay or ???

'Maybe a year ago, or a little less. Anyone else remember it? :o BP

studefan
03-17-2013, 04:32 PM
I remember it. Same pictures too. I love that roof line.

StudeRich
03-17-2013, 04:45 PM
Yes we did look at it before, I recognize those 15 inch '55 Wheels, on the Left Front one you can see the '51 to '57 spring Clip holes and the original '55 actual PINK factory color paint. :)

hausdok
03-17-2013, 05:06 PM
She's a nice 'un.

I've seen worse; my P.H. for instance.

PackardV8
03-17-2013, 05:42 PM
YOU WILL HAVE THE ONLY ONE ON YOUR BLOCK Thass for true!

jack vines

kurtruk
03-17-2013, 05:52 PM
Has been linked to the Forum a couple times over the past years. For some reason it is not selling. Right side has a couple buckles in the sheet metal (third pic.).

SN-60
03-17-2013, 07:06 PM
I don't know what would be a bigger challenge,....restoring the Packard, or that garage behind it!

Milaca
03-17-2013, 07:42 PM
Yeah, it's been for sale since last summer. If the weather ever gets decent here, I intend to call the guy and go look it over. Maybe next Saturday? We shall see.

evilhawk
03-17-2013, 07:44 PM
I found some other pictures of it:

http://boneyardbrothers.com/main.php/v/PACKARD/

Its a cool car, but the Hawk I have is actually in better condition.

57pack
03-17-2013, 08:10 PM
Hey! It still had a bumper jack!

ST2DE5
03-17-2013, 08:33 PM
Lets see now. Take the fins off put a 57 front clip on it. Paint it red and put white upholstery in side. Well quit dreaming I am to old to start another project.

kmul221
03-18-2013, 09:18 AM
Lots of tin-worm would be a great looking car when done,but I think with the amount of money one invested to it right you would be better off to buy less rusty..
No P/S or brakes visible & I would like to see what's left under the fins

56H-Y6
03-18-2013, 01:07 PM
Hi

That one and a '58 Commander hardtop were in that auction in North Dakota a year or so ago. You might recall the pictures of it on the auction site, both set out by a fence facing the highway. There was a white '58 Packard hardtop housed inside in the sale as well. The car offered here is 58L8081, late production , 133 '58 Packards from the last one 58L-8134

The Old Cars Weekly report on the sale list these cars, this one didn't sell for much, though don't recall how much. He had it for sale shortly after the auction for a ridiculous price on ebay and Craigslist.....must be found out it isn't the hot item he thought. Price seems to be inching back closer to a realistic range.

As is typical of the profiteers, they don't seem to manage to do much of anything to improve their 'prizes' condition other than maybe a quick wash job, dump a little gas in the carb and hook up a hot battery so it runs (briefly). But, they never fail to place a big price on their prizes, do they?

Steve

62champ
03-18-2013, 01:16 PM
Hey! It still had a bumper jack!

And a sticker applied to the underside of the trunk with jacking instructions - did not know Studebaker-Packard had such a thing...

JoeHall
03-18-2013, 01:21 PM
It needs one more layer of fins. As is, just two layers aren't quite enough.

Studebaker Wheel
03-18-2013, 03:13 PM
And a sticker applied to the underside of the trunk with jacking instructions - did not know Studebaker-Packard had such a thing...

Indeed. If anyone needs a new one (for a truly authentic restoration) I have them.

studegary
03-18-2013, 03:55 PM
[QUOTE=kmul221;727714
No P/S or brakes visible & I would like to see what's left under the fins[/QUOTE]

Power brakes were standard equipment on the 1958 Packard hardtop, but power steering (integral) was optional.

Studebaker Wheel
03-18-2013, 06:15 PM
That particular '58 Packard (serial 58L 8081) must have been one of the most "spartan" assembled. The only options/accessories listed on the production order are Flight O Matic,Twin Traction, Undercoating and Climatizer.

evilhawk
03-18-2013, 06:49 PM
I could not agree more

Hi

That one and a '58 Commander hardtop were in that auction in North Dakota a year or so ago. You might recall the pictures of it on the auction site, both set out by a fence facing the highway. There was a white '58 Packard hardtop housed inside in the sale as well. The car offered here is 58L8081, late production , 133 '58 Packards from the last one 58L-8134

The Old Cars Weekly report on the sale list these cars, this one didn't sell for much, though don't recall how much. He had it for sale shortly after the auction for a ridiculous price on ebay and Craigslist.....must be found out it isn't the hot item he thought. Price seems to be inching back closer to a realistic range.

As is typical of the profiteers, they don't seem to manage to do much of anything to improve their 'prizes' condition other than maybe a quick wash job, dump a little gas in the carb and hook up a hot battery so it runs (briefly). But, they never fail to place a big price on their prizes, do they?

Steve

RareBird
03-18-2013, 07:56 PM
Indeed. If anyone needs a new one (for a truly authentic restoration) I have them.

22229 Only thing missing in my trunk. PM sent

StudeDave57
03-18-2013, 08:03 PM
Weird. My all original one (family) owner car has not got one of those in the trunk.

But in the envelope of goodies I got~ there was a piece of paper that looks just like that along with the owner's manual explaining that funky jack...

So here's my question-
is that really a sticker, or did someone just glue it there for when they'd need it?

58PackardWagon
03-18-2013, 08:13 PM
You are right on all accounts,....for sale many, many times, no real options to speak of, part of the ND sale, owner thinks it is very special and way over priced. This one might sell in the 1500 to 1800.00 dollar area.

StudeRich
03-19-2013, 02:59 AM
The Ad says: 06/25/2012 that has been a while, but with that undercarriage, the weak at heart need not apply!
It looks like a real rust belt Car.

And all the windows wide open! I have to hope it was only for the pics.

GTCruiser
03-19-2013, 09:34 AM
I found some other pictures of it:

http://boneyardbrothers.com/main.php/v/PACKARD/

Its a cool car, but the Hawk I have is actually in better condition.
These are the best photos (detailed, clear, complete, etc.) for any car on-sale I've ever seen.

rkapteyn
03-19-2013, 09:52 AM
It seems to have the rare 1958 signal seeking radio!
I have a part of a dash overlay for a right hand drive model.
Did any survive?

R.Kapteyn

wagonairedriver
03-19-2013, 10:21 AM
I've always loved these. Did this "Packard" have a model name? I've seen a few Studebaker Commanders, but this one seems to have no model name badging... educate me please.
Kelly

Mr. Bill
03-19-2013, 10:39 AM
I've always loved these. Did this "Packard" have a model name? I've seen a few Studebaker Commanders, but this one seems to have no model name badging... educate me please.
Kelly

I have seen a period photograph of a '58 hardtop on display at one of the major new car auto shows and it carried a front tag that read "Packard Starlight". There was no specific external "Starlight" model
identification used.

Mr. Bill
Hamlet, NC

22246 The '58 show hardtop had the "Starlight" tag on the rear as well.

BobPalma
03-19-2013, 10:56 AM
Kelly

Technically, Kelly; there is no additional model identification beyond the body style. I don't have a 1958 Packard hardtop single-sheet "brochure," but I do have the sedan single-sheet, PD8026. Here's the front of it:

http://i571.photobucket.com/albums/ss155/BobPalma/58packardbrofront_zps42c1fb10.jpg

On the back of PD8026, they encourage you to "See the other Packards," which include "The Hardtop" with no additional model indentification:

http://i571.photobucket.com/albums/ss155/BobPalma/58packardbrorear_zpsc55bbb86.jpg

Significant is that the designation "Clipper," which was used with all the cars in 1957, was deleted entirely for 1958. They were all, simply, Packards. :cool: BP

BobPalma
03-19-2013, 11:00 AM
I have seen a period photograph of a '58 hardtop on display at one of the major new car auto shows and it carried a front tag that read "Packard Starlight". There was no specific external "Starlight" model identification used.

Mr. Bill
Hamlet, NC

Bill is also correct, Kelly (reference my post above).

1958 Studebaker President and Commander 2-door hardtops were advertised as Starlights in print material, and you might even find a stray reference to that for the Packard Hardtop that is the subject of this topic.

But unlike Studebaker, the Packard model was not promoted or "legally identified" as a Starlight. References will be infrequent at best. :cool: BP

evilhawk
03-19-2013, 11:52 AM
It seems to have the rare 1958 signal seeking radio!
I have a part of a dash overlay for a right hand drive model.
Did any survive?

R.Kapteyn

I have the same radio in my Hawk! I didnt know they were rare.

StudeDave57
03-19-2013, 01:04 PM
Have no other Packard owners got any input as to my question in post #23?

I have the same radio in my Hawk!
My Packard sedan ('Cleo') has one as well... :!:

StudeDave '57 :cool:

StudeRich
03-19-2013, 01:26 PM
I have the same radio in my Hawk! I didnt know they were rare.

I do not believe I have ever seen a '57 Packard Clipper or a '58 Packard WITHOUT a Automatic "Wonder Bar Radio"!
I have never seen it advertised as "Standard Equipment" but I believe several more things than a President Sedan "Y" Model were standard, those basically just got a Clock in '57 and Prior years.

The Packards all seem to have Climitizers and Wonder Bar Radios, Cigar Lighters, Clocks and other Luxury items you would expect in a top of the line Car. Except that Studebaker Packard did not usually load you down with way to much Power Equipment, so you had a choice of those items like P/S, P/Brakes, Windows, Seat and Antenna/s.

The '58 Standard Push Button Radios all look exactly like this one but they do not have the wide "Bar" over the Dial, just a White impression of one so they do not "Signal Seek", that may be what is in your Hawk, they are extremely rare in a Studebaker.

studegary
03-19-2013, 02:50 PM
Kelly

The 1958 Salesman's Data Book and other 1958 Packard items that I have refer to the model as The Packard Hardtop.

Studebaker Wheel
03-19-2013, 02:52 PM
No mention of Starlight on the hardtop ad flier.

wagonairedriver
03-19-2013, 04:31 PM
I know they were just trying to keep their nose above water around this time, but it seems a bit feeble to not even bother to name the model and throw on a chrome piece of script with that name on it. Suppose a Caribbean nameplate might have sold a few more? One more question. This car in the pics appears to have (real)leather and cloth on the seats. It just doesn't look like vinyl to me. What say you all?

Studebaker Wheel
03-19-2013, 05:09 PM
I know they were just trying to keep their nose above water around this time, but it seems a bit feeble to not even bother to name the model and throw on a chrome piece of script with that name on it. Suppose a Caribbean nameplate might have sold a few more? One more question. This car in the pics appears to have (real)leather and cloth on the seats. It just doesn't look like vinyl to me. What say you all?

It is just an artists rendering. However Trim 959 RCV was available on all models. It was all vinyl with red top and black lower. No 58L's had all leather.

qsanford
03-19-2013, 05:26 PM
Are the colors mentioned in the ad. original? Does the PO detail the interior color and material?

lugamatic
03-19-2013, 05:47 PM
i think this car only brought in the $200 range at auction

Studebaker Wheel
03-19-2013, 06:29 PM
Are the colors mentioned in the ad. original? Does the PO detail the interior color and material?

The car for sale in Minnesota has trim No. 849BR. The top bolster (vinyl) was actually a light beige but it has obviously faded out as it looks to be almost white in the photos. The bottom was black and white tweed cloth.

evilhawk
03-19-2013, 08:38 PM
I do not believe I have ever seen a '57 Packard Clipper or a '58 Packard WITHOUT a Automatic "Wonder Bar Radio"!
I have never seen it advertised as "Standard Equipment" but I believe several more things than a President Sedan "Y" Model were standard, those basically just got a Clock in '57 and Prior years.

The Packards all seem to have Climitizers and Wonder Bar Radios, Cigar Lighters, Clocks and other Luxury items you would expect in a top of the line Car. Except that Studebaker Packard did not usually load you down with way to much Power Equipment, so you had a choice of those items like P/S, P/Brakes, Windows, Seat and Antenna/s.

The '58 Standard Push Button Radios all look exactly like this one but they do not have the wide "Bar" over the Dial, just a White impression of one so they do not "Signal Seek", that may be what is in your Hawk, they are extremely rare in a Studebaker.

No I swear its the same radio. It has the wide wonder bar and actually seeks on its own. I only saw it work one time and then the fuse blew. I have this picture, but its pretty grainy, however you can still make out the bar. Ill try to get better pics soon. 22269

Skinnys Garage
03-19-2013, 10:40 PM
Lot's of speculation as to what the car brought at auction. I followed the auction live online, as last minute plans cancelled my trip to go in person. It was lot #518 at the Mariner auction in Bismarck ND June 16th. Anyone can go to the VanDerBrink Auctions website and see the results, so I'm not letting anything 'out of the bag' for the seller. My magic number sight unseen was going to be $1800, but the car brought $2300, saved me a 600 mile round trip. It's only a 350 mile round trip from me now.;)

So to recap, it brought $2300 plus an easy $200 in fuel for the 725 mile round trip to St Cloud, expenses for the trip (possibly a hotel stay), it's got some wide whites it didn't have at the auction, it's cleaned up, well photographed and has been advertised a few times with I would guess some time answering questions and showing the car. So, with a total projected profit for their time of around $500 (if someone doesn't beat them up too bad on the current price), I'd just like to know how to get in on this crazy money making business..........Ya, I know they tried for more early on, but isn't that the point of a business to try and make money?

Studebaker Wheel
03-19-2013, 11:20 PM

Yes. 22278

qsanford
03-19-2013, 11:35 PM
Thanks Richard. Was the Canyon Copper/Jewell Beige combo on the PO,too?

cultural infidel
03-20-2013, 01:59 AM
the dual headlights buckets kill it for me. I've finally grown to like the catfish grill. But the headlights just look wonky to me.

bob40
03-20-2013, 06:32 AM
Looked at it at the St.Cloud swap meet last fall.That car needs a coat of new from top to bottom front to back.Resto costs would go beyond value quickly.

Studebaker Wheel
03-20-2013, 01:46 PM
Thanks Richard. Was the Canyon Copper/Jewell Beige combo on the PO,too?

Yes, that is correct combination P5833.