PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible for there to be any less metal in a car and still hold together?

spokejr
03-15-2013, 12:16 AM
Wow, I thought I had seen some serious rot (in spite of living my whole life in So Cal) but this one beats all. Fred Flintstone had better protection of his feet than this one.

I have never seen rust through on a dash panel either, well until now...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1940-Studebaker-Coupe-/230945886587?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item35c572917b

Cheers,

Ken

63 R2 Hawk
03-15-2013, 12:48 AM
Would make a good quarter mile car, since it's so light......

Scott
03-15-2013, 01:08 AM
I think the paint is holding it together. I wonder why they painted the glass, too. It's covering a lot of something.

JimC
03-15-2013, 01:10 AM
Eh, I've seen worse. The floors are all shot, but I think it has potential, especially if there's someone who is looking for this particular model. There aren't a lot of these out there, and if the price stays low, it could be a good deal. I only wish they hadn't painted everything (including the windows!) with that red primer. It makes it hard to tell where the good ends and the rough begins.

DEEPNHOCK
03-15-2013, 08:17 AM
I'm heading by there Monday..
Might check it out...

Gunslinger
03-15-2013, 09:16 AM
It looks like he simply dipped the entire car in a vat of primer.

bezhawk
03-15-2013, 09:47 AM
Primer is a good thing.....it keeps oxygen away from metal, and since the glass will be replaced why not paint over it? Doing something, anything to help preserve it is a good thing.

studegary
03-15-2013, 02:03 PM
Rust - What rust? Just this week, I was involved in a conversation between two other guys that were discussing a car (not a Studebaker) that split in half when it was picked up to be towed. Not the first that I have heard of this happening. I remember a 1955 Speedster that was so rusty that the door skin pulled off when the boss pulled on the driver's door handle. That Speedster became a national winner.

8E45E
03-15-2013, 02:12 PM
Some 'winners' were posted here: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?3274-Rustiest-car-contest&highlight=rustiest Lee's '60 Lark that broke in two has to be my favorite!!

Craig

spokejr
03-16-2013, 01:36 AM
Craig,

Thanks for the link, I'm too new here to have seen those the first time around. Lee's Lark is kinda what I was imagining is soon to happen with the coupe I linked to.

Cheers,

Ken

evilhawk
03-16-2013, 12:08 PM
Ive seen a lot rustier cars than that. In fact, thats not really too bad compared to some of the cars I see here along the rust belt!

2R Truck Seeker
03-16-2013, 12:19 PM
Wow. I have to wonder if this car was stored in a barn with livestock... animal waste give-off highly corrosive fumes.

I have seen old farm-trucks that were kept in the cowbarn... they had excellent paint, but lots of rust in very strange places, locations where you wouldn't see rust on a road-vehicle or field-find...

My '41 De Soto is one such vehicle... was kept in a horse-barn.

As for primer "keeping the oxygen away from the metal", I think it's a little late for that.

Roscomacaw
03-16-2013, 01:34 PM
Immerse this thing in a de-rust tank and you'd be lucky to fish out some frame rails and drivetrain components!

drpreposterous
03-16-2013, 02:00 PM
The word "metastasized" comes to mind...

8E45E
03-16-2013, 03:45 PM
Wow. I have to wonder if this car was stored in a barn with livestock... animal waste give-off highly corrosive fumes.

I was thinking it could have been mousepiss that may have rusted out the dash. Mousepiss is also corrosive.

Craig

2R Truck Seeker
03-16-2013, 05:26 PM
True... mousies built nests in the windshield header of my '41 Chevy Dump-truck, and rotted that out pretty thoroughly.

The insidious thing about animal waste fumes ( as in a barn ) is that there doesn't have to be any physical contact between the manure / urine and the iron... I've been in plenty of old barns that were wired with steel conduit or BX armored cable, and after 20-30 years, that stuff would just crumble.

Worse than coastal salt-air...

Frank McM.