PDA

View Full Version : Got the '40 out for the first time this year tonight

Chris_Dresbach
03-14-2013, 09:12 PM
Tonight I got tired of waiting for spring. The weather was nice, so I hooked up the battery charger, checked all the fluids, and got ready to see if the car would start. I made it crank over a few revolutions to get the oil moving and then it fired up with no starting fluid and the choke was in the off position! Not only did it start fast after sitting, but NO SMOKE!! I let it idle about 20 minutes to shake the dust off and make sure it would stay running, and it did. That old car may look a little rough around the edges, but for being over 70 years old it still runs like a fine tuned South Bend watch! I took it for a slow paced ride down some back roads and then went downtown to visit the factory. It was great to get back in the old drivers seat again!
http://i768.photobucket.com/albums/xx323/chris_dresbach/0314131914-01_zps7ca0f959.jpg

JRoberts
03-14-2013, 09:23 PM
Good going. However I had assumed you had been driving the old girl all winter long;).

rockne10
03-14-2013, 09:28 PM
Helluva set of brakes you've got on her, Chris! :woot::D I also had Désirée out this past Sunday for a quick ten miles.

Corvanti
03-14-2013, 09:51 PM
:!!::cool::!: ...after taking advice from the p.o. (in New Jersey when i picked her up on a very cold January day) to use the choke on my '40, i found the best way to start her was: a pump of the gas pedal, key on and hit the starter.

of course, i never had to lay off of driving her more than a couple of days during the winter.;)

studerodder
03-14-2013, 09:52 PM
Way to go man. I am trying to drive the 64 Daytona at least once every month in 2013. Got jan. and feb. covered easily. March has been tough weather, havent made it yet. This also ensures that I complete any repairs, modifications, etc. in a timely fashion as it must be ready to go when the opportunity arises. Working on the 61 cruiser also, but not as aggressively.

Chris_Dresbach
03-14-2013, 10:28 PM
Good going. However I had assumed you had been driving the old girl all winter long;).

No, I always park it for the winter as soon as the first heavy snow comes. The last time I had it out before today was December 9th, and that was just to take some photos at the factory. The weather just gets too bad to drive the old car in winter. I don't want it to rust more than it already has, and the extreme cold. In the summer I usually drive it almost every day. Now that the weather is nice it will be out more and more often.

Welcome
03-14-2013, 11:17 PM
http://i768.photobucket.com/albums/xx323/chris_dresbach/0314131914-01_zps7ca0f959.jpg

Glad to see "ELY" made it out & about in 2013!!!

IF …that is Peach Road where you took that picture …here’s a little bit of history for yah!

Around the time Studebaker was building your ’40 Champ about 6 miles east of there, Peach Road was constructed of "logs" all more or less "floating" on what was the recently drained Kankakee Swamp.

JimC
03-14-2013, 11:45 PM
Congrats on gettin' her out to see the sights!

The nice thing about a daily driver with new tires is that I drove mine through much of the winter. (at least when the roads were relatively free of salt. That stuff scares me!!) :D

studeclunker
03-15-2013, 01:09 AM
Sounds like a great day!:D

JimC
03-15-2013, 01:14 AM
Sounds like a great day!:D
Any day with a Studebaker is a great day :)

studeclunker
03-15-2013, 01:53 AM
Any day with a Studebaker is a great day :)

This is most certainly true!:!: Sadly, with both Ed and Bess still down, those are only days of memory for me now.:) Gotta get at least one of them going again.:(

Chris_Dresbach
03-15-2013, 12:26 PM
Glad to see "ELI" made it out & about in 2013!!!

IF …that is Peach Road where you took that picture …here’s a little bit of history for yah!

Around the time Studebaker was building your ’40 Champ about 6 miles east of there, Peach Road was constructed of "logs" all more or less "floating" on what was the recently drained Kankakee Swamp.

Yes, that is Peach road. I never knew that! I knew that the area was a swamp at one time, but a log road must have been bumpy...

Milaca
03-16-2013, 12:36 AM
Lots of snow here, and a lot more on the way according to tonights weather forecast and the temperature remains cold. I will be lucky if I can have a Stude on the road by May.
As for logs being the foundation for roads on wetlands, that was common practice around here years ago in order to keep the gravel road bed from getting pushed down into the muck. Today's woven plastic material is much easier and faster to layout prior to the gravel top coat plus it saves a lot of trees. :)

Bob Bryant
03-20-2013, 05:10 PM
A couple of days ago we woke up to about an inch of snow. Today, It is sunny and 40 for a high. The Studebaker had been asleep since December, but a rain had washed away the salt and the streets are dry. It cranked over and started quickly like "Get me out of the garage!" and after warm-up we went for a nice ride. Waves, etc. indicated folks were glad to see it on the road. Hope spring is kind to us in the NE.