PDA

View Full Version : Studebaker parts continue to surprise you---would have lost that bet

unclemiltie
03-14-2013, 03:21 PM
I am back to inventorying some of my parts and was working on some grills today. I have two for 58 cars and I thought they were the same. I discovered today that the Champion grill is different from the president /commander. I have seen many 58 cars over the years and this fact never occurred to me. The champion grill is flat and the commander grill comes to a point in the center. This kind of surprises me considering the way Studebaker conserved $ in 58 by hanging all those extra parts on the headlights etc on a basic 57 body but yet they had two different grills. I would have bet money that they would have been the same.

52-fan
03-14-2013, 03:32 PM
Little things like that are why one model may look better to you that another and you can't say why. Interesting.

DEEPNHOCK
03-14-2013, 05:33 PM
Sure somebody didn't hit a goat, or something?:confused::o:rolleyes:

unclemiltie
03-14-2013, 06:32 PM
When I compare the two, which do have different part numbers, I also noticed that the vertical bracing on the two is different. the commander one which has a point in the center has an extra brace in the very center which the champ does not have. These are both NOS grills.

Roscomacaw
03-14-2013, 06:40 PM
If I remember right - there's a difference between the Commander and President grilles that year as well.