Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Running wires under the Avanti- using PVC Conduit: anyone have any experience with this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: Running wires under the Avanti- using PVC Conduit: anyone have any experience with this?

Hello all:

With installation of stereo amp in trunk, power antenna, etc. etc. I have too many wires running under my carpet to the back of the car and it looks poorly. The Avanti has none of the typical channels inside the door sills for this that I am accustomed to from other cars I have worked on. I am therefore going to relocate them UNDER the car, running them through the console, exiting under the shifter and using PVC conduit runs along the edges of the drive shaft tunnel.

I wanted to ask if any have ever done this? While confident in my abilities, it is always best to ask the community before starting a project.

Kind regards,

Bill Henderson

Originally posted by wfhenderson View Post
    Hello all:

With installation of stereo amp in trunk, power antenna, etc. etc. I have too many wires running under my carpet to the back of the car and it looks poorly. The Avanti has none of the typical channels inside the door sills for this that I am accustomed to from other cars I have worked on. I am therefore going to relocate them UNDER the car, running them through the console, exiting under the shifter and using PVC conduit runs along the edges of the drive shaft tunnel.

I wanted to ask if any have ever done this? While confident in my abilities, it is always best to ask the community before starting a project.

Kind regards,

Bill Henderson
    Bill

I don't see why not! I ran the power cables through PVC conduit when I moved the battery to the trunk in my 54K. It makes for a flexible but solid method to clamp the wires to the frame without worrying about chaffing.

If you do it as you described, I'd drill a drain hole or two in the lowest spot to allow condensation to escape. Not a bad idea at all.

BTW, thanks for your contributions to Bob's site. That is a great resource that I use on a regular basis.

Bob
    Last edited by sweetolbob; 03-14-2013, 07:41 AM.

Comment

Not on my Avanti, but I have had a PVC conduit with several wires running thru it for at least 18 years under my motorhome... no problems! I plan on the same method on my '49 Stude pickup project (but a smaller tube).

Comment

Just for appearance sake you might use the electrical gray PVC as opposed to standard white for water applications. I have also bent PVC rather than using connectors. Using a propane torch I continuously spin the pipe until it softens. It is a bit tricky because there is a fine line between too cool to bend and too hot and the pipe starts to brown. But, it allows angles that are not the standard 45, 90 etc.. Anyway, the pipe is cheap enough dealing with the "learning curve."

Tom
        '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Comment

Have used outdoor grade electrical flex wire conduit (bought @ local hardware supply). It is really strong and is flexible (can bend to about an 8 - 10 inch radius). Will also help to use electrical cable lube for pulling wires thru' conduit (what I used for trunk mounted battery cable). Main advantage? It is fexible - But is probably more $$$ - Your choice.
          Paul TK

Comment

Working...
          X