PDA

View Full Version : P/S parts needed

kamzack
03-13-2013, 11:48 PM
I'm in the midst of buying a Saginaw power steering unit and need the correct pullies.
Thanks in advance,
Kim

rockne10
03-14-2013, 12:23 AM
Without further details on your model or purchase, I'm going to venture the pulleys are identical to your single pulley; simply sandwiched with a spacer between. If you have your chassis parts catalog you can provide us the part number.

kamzack
03-14-2013, 01:48 PM
The unit I'm buying is from a 57 Hawk. Is complete except pullies. I'm installing it in a 58 Scotsman 2 dr wagon that I've installed a 63 259 V8 with 4 speed. I've installed a tilt column so the mast will have to be cut as I have with the stock steering box. Will check for part #'s as you've suggested.
Thanks,
Kim

Jeff_H
03-14-2013, 02:45 PM
The frame bracket for the box is different for a Hawk vs a Sedan. Hawk bracket will cause the column to be too low and not meet up with the dash. May not be a problem with your plans for a tilt column. You maybe able to swap or sell some of that hawk setup. Sedan PS setups do not fit in hawks due to the bracket and also the column is shorter. So, the column parts are in demand for someone wanting to install sedan ps into a hawk. I would expect you could fit a rag joint of some kind on the end of the saginaw box and mate to your tilt column and not need to cut up the unique hawk PS column. There is a simple flange on the box with 4 studs so a adaptor of some kind could be made to allow a rag joint to attach to it.

rkapteyn
03-14-2013, 07:31 PM
The 1958 Scotsman used the Bendix power steering.

rkapteyn
03-14-2013, 08:40 PM
If you get the part numbers you need, vendors will check their stock.

kamzack
03-15-2013, 01:44 AM
I have a rag joint in it now as it's a straight line column to box. If there's a difference in angle, I'll use a Borgeson join to connect. I've built a few street rods in times long gone, so making things work isn't anything new. I just need the pullies and will get the part #'s. 58 Scotsman is essentially a 57, having owned a 57 Broadmoor in my past and a number of Larks with power steering, I want the Saginaw system. Wagon isn't being built for authenicity, but for fun.
Thanks,
Kim

kamzack
03-16-2013, 03:36 PM
Finally took the time to look up the part numbers for pulley and spacer. Pulley:533890, spacer:534294. SI has the pulley, but if I can save a few bucks, would be appreciated.
The fellow we're buying the P/S systen from has a complete hydrovac power brake system from the 57 Hawk. If there is any interest in it, I'll pick it up and pass it along. Gonna try to pick items up Monday or Tuesday.
Thanks for all the help and direction,
Kim

rkapteyn
03-29-2013, 04:57 PM
If you still need the spacer 534294 please email me at studebaker@mac.com.
Robert Kapteyn